Android Tablets Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
This is great! I haven't been able to load 4349 (it almost always fails). This gives me something that makes the gTab very useful and up to date. Keep it going!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Had some issues (thank god for nvflash) but finally have it working nicely.(edit running 1.6.2) It really looks good ( my first ROM
) and is a great improvement over the gtab stock.
Is there a way to set up a LAN server? It was pretty simple stuff with the stock rom but I cant figure it out with this one.

dumbass edit
Installed ES File Explorer from market. All is good.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Great ROM, could or would you be willing to put Flashback on a l.1 bootloader? Flashback seems to be moving faster than BOS with Roebeet's being on a well deserved vacation.

If Viewsonic is not going to be giving us any more ROM updates, then the bootloader issue 1.1 v. 1.2 is now irrelevant.

I know this may be slightly off topic, thank you in advance.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Why so many apps are uninstallable ?

I was restoring my apps from CM7 and there is several apps that wouldn't install (gives me a "application not installed" message):

- Samurai II
- PES 2011
- ScummVM
- Even the amazon free application of the day for today (iCook) wouldn't install

I tracked this down to market website and now its saying that these applications are not compatible with my device.

I wondered if its related to build.prop, copied the device related values (name, manufacturer, fingerprint .. etc) from my CM7 build.prop and it didn't make a difference.

Am I the only one seeing this ? Or is it known limitation for HC ?

I have just confirmed with the guys on the 1.2 branch that they don't have the above mentioned issues.

Thanks,

FIXED: CWM Reboot -> FIX Permissions -> Reboot

·
Registered
40 Posts
You need to have a micro SD, the app try to install onto the micro SD and because it didn't found it, it fails. Is a limitation of the alpha rom. After you put a micro Sd and succeed installing the application you can move it to the main memory.

·
Registered
40 Posts
You need to have a micro SD, the app try to install onto the micro SD and because it didn't found it, it fails. Is a limitation of the alpha rom. After you put a micro Sd and succeed installing the application you can move it to the main memory.
Thanks for your reply.
Your interpretation is correct for some reason the gtab thought the microSD is the external storage and ignored the mapping that is listed in vold.fstab which indeed maps the internal SD as the microSD.

Any way, fixing permissions (from CWM) did the trick and now these applications installs correctly.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Any way, fixing permissions (from CWM) did the trick and now these applications installs correctly.
I think I spoke too soon, actually several minutes later the tab would become super laggy requiring a reboot, then the SDCard is longer accessible installs (though works without a problem from file explorers).

Refixing the permissions made no difference, so I traced my steps backward to "using mount manager to mount a cifs network share", afterwards even if the share is removed after that, the local SDCard is accessible for installs.

I found that Setting->Storage info is also missed up:

MicroSD:
Total 13.07GB (correct)
Available 8.45GB (correct)

Internal storage:
Total 1.79GB (correct, this is a result of 2048/0 SD partitioning)
Media 4.62GB (incorrect, this is the size of the media on MicroSD)
Applications -3910479872.00B (messed up).

Any insights ?
TIA

·
Registered
1 Posts
I think I spoke too soon, actually several minutes later the tab would become super laggy requiring a reboot, then the SDCard is longer accessible installs (though works without a problem from file explorers).

Refixing the permissions made no difference, so I traced my steps backward to "using mount manager to mount a cifs network share", afterwards even if the share is removed after that, the local SDCard is accessible for installs.

I found that Setting->Storage info is also missed up:

MicroSD:
Total 13.07GB (correct)
Available 8.45GB (correct)

Internal storage:
Total 1.79GB (correct, this is a result of 2048/0 SD partitioning)
Media 4.62GB (incorrect, this is the size of the media on MicroSD)
Applications -3910479872.00B (messed up).

Any insights ?
TIA
I have the same issue with the storage numbers not being reported correctly. I have a couple of apps on the Market that wouldn't install because they are set to prefer installation to external storage. So I unmounted the SD card and then I was able to install the apps, then I just remounted the SD card. The storage numbers still aren't correct, but you should be able to install the apps you need to with the SD unmounted.

Otherwise, I think this is a great ROM. It's been mostly buttery smooth for me, only a little lag here and there. Thanks to all who have contributed to getting Honeycomb on our Gtabs!

·
Registered
78 Posts
I figured out HoneyComb WiFi uses more power when sleeping than stock based ROMs. GtabComb uses 4% of the battery per hour when sleeping. Stock based ROMs only use 1% per hour.

After much searching I learned Android has something called a WiFi Sleep policy. You can have Android turn off the WiFi radio when the device if put into sleep mode. The "fix" for Honeycomb is to go into Settings > Wireless & networks > Wi-Fi settings > Wi-Fi disconnect policy and change it from the default of "Never (uses more battery power)" to "When screen turns off".

Can this setting change be added to the GtabComb ROM as the default?

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have the same issue with the storage numbers not being reported correctly. I have a couple of apps on the Market that wouldn't install because they are set to prefer installation to external storage. So I unmounted the SD card and then I was able to install the apps, then I just remounted the SD card. The storage numbers still aren't correct, but you should be able to install the apps you need to with the SD unmounted.

Otherwise, I think this is a great ROM. It's been mostly buttery smooth for me, only a little lag here and there. Thanks to all who have contributed to getting Honeycomb on our Gtabs!
Thank you so much for taking the time to reply.
My life would have been so much easier had zyhong decided to just acknowledge my problem

Any way, the problem with your workaround is that you lose the ability to use the Gtab 14GB internal SD storage for installing programs (because you still can't move the app to the SD once remounted), that said you have pointed me towards the right direction (thanks again).

When I tried to manually (from terminal) umount the "/mnt/sdcard" I get a "device busy" error, apparently some process is hitting hard on the storage, sdcard is freed (for some unkown reason) whenever I use the "mount manager" to mount a cifs share, then I can successfully umount the sdcard from the terminal.

Now I need to investigate more to find what process is causing this locking but at least I now know its not something at my end.

As always, any insights are welcomed and appreciated.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I see today that simply enabling the WiFi Sleep policy does not really help Honeycomb power usage. I noticed GtabComb b3.2 has power consumption improvements. Looking forward to it.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts