Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

A few months ago I bought a Sumvision Cyclone Voyager 8" tablet (which I believe is a rebranded Newsmy T9) and I have found it to be a pretty decent tablet for the money, it only cost me £80 and I currently have jellybean 4.2 firmware running. I used to own a Tegra 2 hannspad which I overclocked and had various roms on there and wanted to know if the RK3066 could be clocked at higher speeds too. When I have looked into it I couldn't really find any kernals or too much info out there to suggest that this is really a viable possibility, as I have read the 1.6mhz CPU is it's top clock speed and other tabs which have been capped at 1.4mhz etc could be clocked up but it seems that anything above this is pushing my luck and might cause a bit of instability.

Anyway, the one area I was interested in is the Mali400 GPU clockspeed as I have seen that SG2, which has a different CPU but same GPU, has been clocked at higher than stock speeds with quite nice results (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1657491). Am I correct in thinking the RK3066 Mali400 is set to run at 266mhz instead of the 400mhz which it advertises at and has anyone managed to overclock their RK3066/Mali400 tablet?

I have found some interesting information relating to RK3066 TV sticks and it seems a guy has managed to clock his Mali at 400mhz (http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.php?7789-rkpatchomatic-tool-overclock-binary-rk3066-kernels) so I'm just wondering if this is relevant to RK3066 tablets too, I don't know why it wouldn't apply.

If anybody has past experience in this or has information which I haven't found I would be very interested and grateful. Apologies if this has been covered somewhere on this forum, I did have a good search but couldn't find anything to suggest so.

Thanks,

Andy

·
Super Moderator
3,234 Posts
I would be carefully with overclocking if that is possible! It will increase the power consumption and heat of CPU/GPU and reduce the lifetime of Battery!

Regarding the CPU you could download CPU Identifier and check if the CPU is working correctly for all cores and may adjust them to the normal limit. I never checked for GPU!!

And again, handle such actions really with care!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick reply Mr Imperfect.

Yes, I have learnt the hard way before when being too ambitious with CPU clock speeds and I have always tread with caution ever since. The GPU is where my real interest lies though, which if is running at 266mhz then is massively under-clocked at stock. If possible to run this at even 266/366mhz then I would hope it would not be rocking the boat too much in terms of power consumption and heat production. I read some SG2 forums where people claimed to have clocked at over 500mhz on the mali400 which is asking for trouble imo.

I think I'll give the CPU identifier app a go and see if it will give me the GPU clock readings in real time, that might be a good start to see where I'm currently at.

Andy

·
Super Moderator
3,234 Posts
It's not the Speed of the GPU only, you must also take in account that the GPU is using the same system meory ans the CPU and depend on the Apps running, it could differs quite a bit and some apps will nor running well if either of the CPU or GPU needed memory isn't enough! The CPU will at all times come first in Memory allocation and use. I'd seen tablets with 1 core CPU and Mali400 GPU running with 1 GB memory much better that Dual Core with Mali400 and 512MB memory! Aloso, it's depend on the Storage used! If the NAND Storage is running on RAM Chips will be better than running on an internal TF-Card as some device do! There many factors involved which having an effect on the speed, either CPU and GPU.

Keep in mind as well, the GPU get faster more hot than a CPU!

Any way, all you do, is on your own risk and therefore also on the budget you've available for your device!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.