Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Though the PDN is a marvelous device, particularly with the wonderful mods/hacks made by the resident geniuses, it is ultimately doomed due to the lack of buttons. The volume hack is great but as we get deeper into modded software and better apps, the lack of a dedicated back button (or onscreen buttons like Archos has) becomes glaringly obvious.Can any of you smarter devs come up with a solution?

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
We are all always looking for that solution. I'm not a dev, but I sort of manage things. I search every day to find something. At some point we'll find or make a widget.

·
Banned
1,336 Posts
Many devices out there only have three buttons, menu, back and home. The Augen Gentouch doesn't have volume buttons, only these three buttons. The easy fix for the PDN is the volume key hack, followed by the framework hack to restore the Notification bar functionality, then you install Bar Control from the Android Market and add your default launcher to Bar Control. Now when you want home you pull down the Notification window and press your launcher to return home. Easy.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
I don't use it myself, but jackbox's solution seems "good enough" that I don't see writing a home screen app as a huge priority. I'd also (personally) prefer to keep the screen uncluttered from soft buttons because I see it as a waste of screen space, and I don't tend to work on stuff that I don't at least see value in myself.One possibly benefit I've considered is setting up LongPress key events, where short presses work as volume, long presses work as back/menu (or reverse). Of course, that still leaves us with nowhere good to put a home button unless we mess with the power switch. Just having 2 buttons makes things awkward in terms of expanding options. There's really nowhere "logical" for home to go without the behavior seeming weird.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
I use the Smart Bar app to add a Home button to the Notification Bar. It also allows you to add other apps there (such as the Audio Manager app, to control volume settings without having to get out of your application). i think it's a great tool for the PDN.

·
Registered
846 Posts
[quote name='clockworx;37942]One possibly benefit I've considered is setting up LongPress key events' date=' where short presses work as volume, long presses work as back/menu (or reverse). Of course, that still leaves us with nowhere good to put a home button unless we mess with the power switch. Just having 2 buttons makes things awkward in terms of expanding options. There's really nowhere "logical" for home to go without the behavior seeming weird.[/QUOTE'] Clockworx..May just be me, but I'd think the current key hack with long press on the menu key taking you home would be a good combo.. but then I don't use the volume control much..

·
Registered
548 Posts
As my first delve into android programming I am looking into writing something similar to bar control. I'm just getting going but I have some of the basics working and am trying to see how far I can push the functionality in the pull down bar. If you have specific things you'd like it to do let me know(no promises). I could do these things in windows mobile in an hour but i'm fighting the android learning curve/limitations now ;-).

·
Registered
548 Posts
[quote name='davidr;37947]Clockworx..May just be me' date=' but I'd think the current key hack with long press on the menu key taking you home would be a good combo.. but then I don't use the volume control much..[/QUOTE'] can we setup long press somehow right in the keyhack?

·
Premium Member
1,420 Posts
docfreed;38101 said:
jackbox it's an awesome fix - thanks very much. I'm always concerned that on these consumer devices the switches are the first things to go - much better to have a software solution
jackbox had nothing to do with the framework fix. That was done by clockworx. Let's make sure we credit the right people.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.