Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Standard disclaimer: I'm not responsible for anything this may do, perform at your own risk, etc,etc. In the absence of a working softkey solution, I went ahead and modded the hardware volume keys. Currently I have them remapped to Menu and Back. I tried Menu and Home, but Home doesn't work for unknown reasons. I have successfully appled and reverted the fix multiple times with these files.I've attached the modded files for people who are lazy and/or not good with shell commands and just want to have it done. These files MUST be dropped into your adb directory with adb.exe. Again, DO NOT DROP THEM INTO A SUBDIRECTORY BELOW ADB.EXE, they must be in the same directory.Feel free to try tweaking gpio-keys.kl if you want to try mapping the two volume keys to other stuff. (I would really like to see why Home doesn't work). Volume up is key 5 in the file, Volume down is key 4.So anyways, "mod_volume_keys.bat" will1) Mount system partition rw2) push over file gpio-keys.kl.menu_and_back to /system/usr/keylayout/gpio-keys.kl3) Fix permissions and ownership4) Reboot deviceOnce your device reboots, you'll have the remapped keysIf you don't like the change, "revert_volume_keys.bat" will1) Mount system partition rw2) push over file gpio-keys.kl.orig to /system/usr/keylayout/gpio-keys.kl3) Fix permissions and ownership4) Reboot deviceand you'll be back to your original setup.

·
Premium Member
1,420 Posts
[quote name='blankyj;16028]Thanks!....now if we can get a pull down and accelerometer' date=' things would be pretty good.[/QUOTE'] Accelerometer is working just fine for me. You having issues going in to portrait?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Its stuck in one position(volume bottom, charger top), the only time it will rotate is when the usb is plugged in and it shows that "usb connected" screen.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I found it a little amusing when i was testing the pandora.apk which works fine, but now I couldn't change the volume...lol

·
Premium Member
1,420 Posts
[quote name='blankyj;16034]Its stuck in one position(volume bottom' date=' charger top), the only time it will rotate is when the usb is plugged in and it shows that "usb connected" screen.[/QUOTE'] Lay the Novel down and then pick it up in portrait mode. You can also tap it while in portrait mode to see if this helps.

·
Premium Member
1,420 Posts
[quote name='blankyj;16038]I found it a little amusing when i was testing the pandora.apk which works fine' date=' but now I couldn't change the volume...lol[/QUOTE'] All volumes controls can be changed from the Sound and Display settings menu.

·
Registered
43 Posts
blazingwolf;16041 said:
All volumes controls can be changed from the Sound and Display settings menu.
LOL...i didn't even think about that...thanks! I just tried your suggestions for portrait mode, and its still not working for me. Funny thing is it will work in any other screen besides home. It will rotate in settings, browser, and any other screen i tried. I guess I can live with that.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Clockworx- thanks for pulling this off! I only have a mac so I wasn't able to remote so I've had an annoying number of restarts in recent days.I opened your .bat files and translated the paths to what I'm using on my Mac and it worked fine.I'm not a Java developer but I cracked open Eclipse (I used to develope Flex apps in Eclipse and OO Actionscript 3) to look at a software issue and had some ideas.Idea #1 to code a app that kept a persistent alert in the notification bar that would launch a little app with software equivalents to the hardware buttons. This doesn't seem like rocket science; but, I started poking around and realized the Novel doesn't seem to allow user actions on the notification bar as a general rule. I know I've been able to pull it down once or twice while in on e of the default android settings apps but that seems to be the exception.Idea #2 is to make an app that brings up the software button dialog on a long volume hold. I need to figure out how if I can capture user actions on hardware buttons from a background app. If this can be done, a long volume down hold might be the way to go.These are short term ideas while we wait for someone much smarter than I am to cook up a rom.

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
jackbox;15922 said:
Why didn't they put a simple navigation button on the bottom like all the other tablets out there???
My guess is this device is 1) based on existing parts from digital picture frames - cheaper than redesigning and re-fabricating.2) Designed for people who just want an ereader that "does a little more," hence the conspicuous recall. They're not making you hunt this thing down on the internet, they selling it to mooks at kmart. They hope the vast majority of people who buy it have no interest in more capability than they ship it with. I'm betting the development team has a stat for the number of users who they expect will never even updgrade the fw.In any event, as shipped, none of the programs ever allow for nav or home keys.

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
[quote name='clockworx;15906]Standard disclaimer: I'm not responsible for anything this may do' date=' perform at your own risk, etc,etc. In the absence of a working softkey solution, I went ahead and modded the hardware volume keys. Currently I have them remapped to Menu and Back. I tried Menu and Home, but Home doesn't work for unknown reasons. I have successfully appled and reverted the fix multiple times with these files.I've attached the modded files for people who are lazy and/or not good with shell commands and just want to have it done. These files MUST be dropped into your adb directory with adb.exe. Again, DO NOT DROP THEM INTO A SUBDIRECTORY BELOW ADB.EXE, they must be in the same directory.[/QUOTE']Nice. We need more of this sort of initiative.

·
Registered
52 Posts
[quote name='clockworx;15906]Standard disclaimer: I'm not responsible for anything this may do' date=' perform at your own risk, etc,etc. In the absence of a working softkey solution, I went ahead and modded the hardware volume keys. Currently I have them remapped to Menu and Back. I tried Menu and Home, but Home doesn't work for unknown reasons. I have successfully appled and reverted the fix multiple times with these files.....[/QUOTE']Sweet, easy to install and makes it actually usuable!!! Thanks clockworx!!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Maybe someone with some more time can figure this out. I'm trying to use GScript so we can create shortcuts to switch back and forth between mappings. I don't think I'll have a chance to work on this anymore this week. So if someone can figure this out 2 out, it would go in the end for the GScripts.Current problems:1) GScript does not seem to be running the scripts.2) I can't figure out which process to reload to cause it to re read the layouts so a reboot is not required.
Code:
adb remountadb shell# create original keymapecho "key 1    POWER                  WAKE" > /system/usr/keylayout/gpio-keys.kl.origecho "key 5    VOLUME_UP"  >> /system/usr/keylayout/gpio-keys.kl.origecho "key 4    VOLUME_DOWN" >> /system/usr/keylayout/gpio-keys.kl.origecho "key 61    MENU              WAKE_DROPPED"  >> /system/usr/keylayout/gpio-keys.kl.origecho "key 42    CAMERA"  >> /system/usr/keylayout/gpio-keys.kl.origecho "key 34    BACK              WAKE_DROPPED"  >> /system/usr/keylayout/gpio-keys.kl.origecho "key 57    DPAD_LEFT         WAKE_DROPPED"  >> /system/usr/keylayout/gpio-keys.kl.origecho "key 49    DPAD_RIGHT        WAKE_DROPPED" >> /system/usr/keylayout/gpio-keys.kl.origecho "key 25    DPAD_UP           WAKE_DROPPED" >> /system/usr/keylayout/gpio-keys.kl.origecho "key 41    DPAD_DOWN         WAKE_DROPPED" >> /system/usr/keylayout/gpio-keys.kl.origecho "key 33    DPAD_CENTER       WAKE_DROPPED" >> /system/usr/keylayout/gpio-keys.kl.origecho "key 249   ENDCALL           WAKE_DROPPED" >> /system/usr/keylayout/gpio-keys.kl.origecho "key 250   FOCUS # Fake Focus" >> /system/usr/keylayout/gpio-keys.kl.origecho "key 26    HOME              WAKE_DROPPED" >> /system/usr/keylayout/gpio-keys.kl.orig# create modified keymap# from clockworks# [URL=http://www.slatedroid.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?2105-Remapped-hardware-(volume)-keys#echo]http://www.slatedroid.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?2105-Remapped-hardware-(volume)-keys#echo[/URL] "key 1    POWER                  WAKE" > /system/usr/keylayout/gpio-keys.kl.modecho "key 5    MENU" >> /system/usr/keylayout/gpio-keys.kl.modecho "key 4    BACK" >> /system/usr/keylayout/gpio-keys.kl.modecho "#key 5    VOLUME_UP" >> /system/usr/keylayout/gpio-keys.kl.modecho "#key 4    VOLUME_DOWN" >> /system/usr/keylayout/gpio-keys.kl.modecho "key 61    MENU              WAKE_DROPPED" >> /system/usr/keylayout/gpio-keys.kl.modecho "key 42    CAMERA" >> /system/usr/keylayout/gpio-keys.kl.modecho "key 34    BACK              WAKE_DROPPED" >> /system/usr/keylayout/gpio-keys.kl.modecho "key 57    DPAD_LEFT         WAKE_DROPPED" >> /system/usr/keylayout/gpio-keys.kl.modecho "key 49    DPAD_RIGHT        WAKE_DROPPED" >> /system/usr/keylayout/gpio-keys.kl.modecho "key 25    DPAD_UP           WAKE_DROPPED" >> /system/usr/keylayout/gpio-keys.kl.modecho "key 41    DPAD_DOWN         WAKE_DROPPED" >> /system/usr/keylayout/gpio-keys.kl.modecho "key 33    DPAD_CENTER       WAKE_DROPPED" >> /system/usr/keylayout/gpio-keys.kl.modecho "key 249   ENDCALL           WAKE_DROPPED" >> /system/usr/keylayout/gpio-keys.kl.modecho "key 250   FOCUS # Fake Focus" >> /system/usr/keylayout/gpio-keys.kl.modecho "key 26    HOME              WAKE_DROPPED" >> /system/usr/keylayout/gpio-keys.kl.mod# Mount sd cardmount -t vfat -o rw /dev/block/vold/179:1 /sdcard## Create Shell Scripts for GScript to use# enabled modified volume keys#mkdir /sdcard/gscriptecho "cat /system/usr/keylayout/gpio-keys.kl.mod > /system/usr/keylayout/gpio-keys.kl" > /sdcard/gscript/volume-key-mod.sh## Create Shell Scripts for GScript to use# revert to original volume keys#echo "cat /system/usr/keylayout/gpio-keys.kl.orig > /system/usr/keylayout/gpio-keys.kl" > /sdcard/gscript/volume-key-orig.sh# Unmount sdcardumount /sdcardexit

·
Registered
14 Posts
ok. i am new here. why do i see a funny jpg instead of the attachemnt in the 1st post? thanks OP for the nice work. hopefully someone can help me get it downloaded.

·
Registered
120 Posts
[quote name='deshwasi;36740]ok. i am new here. why do i see a funny jpg instead of the attachemnt in the 1st post? thanks OP for the nice work. hopefully someone can help me get it downloaded.[/QUOTE] If you're looking for an easier way to install that hack and others' date=' you should try [URL=http://www.slatedroid.com/pandigital-novel-android-tablet-discussion/3827-consolidated-installer-script-apply-all-hacks-apps-oneshot.html']this thread[/URL]. Very easy automated installer for a number of hacks. See post #112 in that thread for an alternate download of the pack if the original is still down.Also, if you use that, I would recommend not using the old method of getting market to work and instead use the NOT ugly market fix, much easier!

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeah, I wouldn't use this anymore. I mean, you still USE it, but this was one of the first hacks, when there wasn't much else. Now other people have taken this and folded nicely into larger consolidated install scripts.

·
Registered
666 Posts
I will be working on an APK this weekend that will perform the volkey mod (as well as rooting and adhoc enable). I am workin on a NON adb method of modding the Novel for those who are having issues with drivers and adb, or those who do not wish to rely on a PC everytime they setup their novel.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts