Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been working with a few members of the Augen corp on getting my Gentouch78 to be able to boot. During this process, I was told something I thought was interesting.Augen had not planned to release this device until September. They thought they would have over a month to work on them before they shipped to Kmart. Then they were told Kmart printed the ad, and wanted them on the shelves now. So they rushed them out. One would say, well why rush them out, just tell Kmart to retract the ad, etc. Then you think that this is a small company that has only been around 6 years. This is probably one of their big breaks, and they got pushed into doing as Kmart wanted.From those I have spoke with, they are working daily to get the updates out. They seem to be testing, and making sure what they release is solid. If when the update comes out, and for the most part is stable, I will believe then that this company has true aspirations of having a usable Android tablet on the market for a great price. This next week or so should be interesting..CPG

·
Registered
11 Posts
so. augen tells kmart to not sell them until september. just how did augen expect to fix those items while they were in kmarts warehouse. I get them having the headphone oversite, but you would think they wouldve fired one up and played an audio file and noticed HEY, this is at max volume and I cant turn it down. Or hey lets go to market and download an app. I do hope they get this sorted out tho.

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
... [shakes head]

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
I'm an unpaid moderator, so I don't have to be professional. I get to be amateur. Besides that, the GT has so much potential but is flaming off before my very eyes. I am still considering one, but less and less every time I read something about it. Let me recap:It's a rebadge of a failed device, which they failed to mention.It has cloned MAC ids, which is probably illegal.It has sound problems.It has a wonky headphone plug.It has no working accelerometer.Its build quality is suspect.It was not only released half-baked, but released knowing it was half-baked with a plan to fix it before it was released.It appears to be a limited run, which probably means it's Dawa clearing junk off their shelves.It claims 720p, but can't possibly get that because it has no hdmi out and is 800x480 res.Now some of that can be fixed. Screen res can't be fixed. Build quality can't be fixed. Rarity is unlikely to be fixed. Rebadging and the trust issues that come with that are eternal.And so I say: "... [shakes head]"Feel free to disagree with me, but ... eh.

·
Registered
576 Posts
[quote name='cpg716;30251]Must you do this with every post about the Gentouch78. It really is unprofessional. You are a Moderator' date=' which people would expect more from. Sorry if this offends, but it is starting to turn people away from slatedroid.com.CPG[/QUOTE']I know. I wish that there was another droid tablet oriented forum that was as active...

·
Registered
83 Posts
[quote name='cpg716;30251]Must you do this with every post about the Gentouch78. It really is unprofessional. You are a Moderator' date=' which people would expect more from. Sorry if this offends, but it is starting to turn people away from slatedroid.com.CPG[/QUOTE'] Ditto.Nate the great(who has been a moderator at MobileRead Forums for 2+ years)

·
Premium Member
2,429 Posts
Augen had not planned to release this device until September. They thought they would have over a month to work on them before they shipped to Kmart. Then they were told Kmart printed the ad, and wanted them on the shelves now. So they rushed them out.
That explains a whole lot. It wasn't ready to ship. Probably did not have time to even find out what all was wrong.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't disagree with you on the issues. I disagreed with you posting "shakes head" on every post about someones issue with their Gentouch78. You keep saying this is rebadge of a failed device. Yes, it is the Dawa D7, but I cant even find that the Dawa D7 Android 2.1 device was every released, even in reports going into June. And one I did fine, said that the Dawa D7 with Android 2.1 was far superior to the Dawa that ran WINCE and was snappy, etc and well worth $200USD. Companies don't tell you when their product is a Chinese OEM. Half the stuff (an exaggeration) in American comes from the same 3 or 4 Chinese manufactures. It never says on any product "this is the same as etc." Anyhow. I am just saying. I think most of us get your position on the Gentouch78, every post didnt need that "shakes head"....I wasnt expecting a whole lot for a $150 device from a company I never heard of. But you can buy products from Sanyo or other low budget "NAME" brand companies that are buggy out of the box every day of the week... The fun is working on the device for me.. but I agree, at this stage it shouldnt have been mass market in Kmart, most regular Kmart shoppers I am sure would return this device the next day.CPG

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
Like I said, I'm still looking for one... :-D

·
Registered
576 Posts
[quote name='cpg716;30276]I don't disagree with you on the issues. I disagreed with you posting "shakes head" on every post about someones issue with their Gentouch78. You keep saying this is rebadge of a failed device. Yes' date=' it is the Dawa D7, but I cant even find that the Dawa D7 Android 2.1 device was every released, even in reports going into June. And one I did fine, said that the Dawa D7 with Android 2.1 was far superior to the Dawa that ran WINCE and was snappy, etc and well worth $200USD. Companies don't tell you when their product is a Chinese OEM. Half the stuff (an exaggeration) in American comes from the same 3 or 4 Chinese manufactures. It never says on any product "this is the same as etc." Anyhow. I am just saying. I think most of us get your position on the Gentouch78, every post didnt need that "shakes head"....I wasnt expecting a whole lot for a $150 device from a company I never heard of. But you can buy products from Sanyo or other low budget "NAME" brand companies that are buggy out of the box every day of the week... The fun is working on the device for me.. but I agree, at this stage it shouldnt have been mass market in Kmart, most regular Kmart shoppers I am sure would return this device the next day.CPG[/QUOTE']It's not his beloved and treasured PDN, therefore it must be crap. He even waltzed into the Witstech A81 E forum and maundered about how he bought two of those PDN paperweights for the price of a shipped A81 E...

·
Co-Founder
2,103 Posts
Ok guys, please can we stop with all this stuff I'm actually getting quite annoyed now that no-one can act with just a small level of maturity. Getting back on track, I think this is quite an interesting case because most Chinese developers are just concerned with getting their product out and reaping the rewards without so much as an afterthought for the customers. In this case they can't do that because they're shipping straight to the USA, and if something's broken then their customers will want it fixing and so they are forced to oblige because they are going through a more reputable distributor like Kmart.I am quite glad for this device in a way because it's bring Android tablets into the mainstream at last. Although, it would be nice if it were a little more polished so as not to give a bad impression. But like stated, if they had to rush it to shipping, it's hardly their fault.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Here here. No reason to argue hell none of us made these tablets. Why take it personal. I have an m001 so I am following to see if any of these are better. I also have iPad and iPod touch to compare. Thank all of u developers who made these useable with your work.

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
Like I said elsewhere, my lot is cast, but I'm always looking to trade up. I look at each new announcement hoping for the final Ipad killer, frankly. I considered the A81, and at its price point it's a very capable device - and a multi-boot. Honestly, at the time, I went with the PDN because it would have been easier to return... and was cheaper. If I "waltzed into" that forum it was either because it seemed a general topic (someone was asking what to get, or about that device specifically), or because I accidentally opened it while click farming under "what's new" posts. I apologize if you can't handle critique of your precious soon to be outdated tech, but all of these are soon to be outdated tech. Including, and especially, the PDN. We grab what we can, then they fade away. Like goldfish as pets.

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
cpg716;30276 said:
The fun is working on the device for me..
Yeah, what you said. We're all in the same boat.... and all of our boats are sinking. The real question is whose sinks LAST...

·
Co-Founder
2,103 Posts
^^ That was a neutral thread, therefore no need to retaliate. Just thought I'd make sure that was clear ;)====================================================================================Original topic continues here====================================================================================

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
[you people should hear what he says when you're not listening...]:-D

·
Premium Member
2,596 Posts
My 2cents on the Augen . most of these problems seem fixable . I think we all forgot about a little tablet called the Eken M001 , the back of that gets so hot you can fry a egg on it . but we took that device and basically made a whole website to support it . the augen is no different it has it weak points but enough strong points to be a big seller and I think in the long run a pretty good tablet .Ps: I am still looking for my augen , but I may bite the bullet and order online

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
Again, I don't hate the augen. I just don't want to buy anything that isn't better than what I've got - and I'm not convinced it is. I don't intend to offend you people, but I also think maybe you're overlooking some lipstick on a pig sometimes. Not all the time, but some of the time.Did I mention I am still looking for one?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.