2. Optimize the Bluetooth function stability
3. System stability optimization, a number of bug fixes

Downloading now. Don't think it is Jelly Bean

Jez

See less See more
#3 ·
I don't think it is unfortunately

Actually if anyone is able to get it working please let me know how

This is in a different format to the previous zip file. It is a vhd file and you need to use Winimage to extract the image to a microSD card.
When I do this I end up with a blank microSD card even though the process looks like it is working and doesn't give any errors.

Jez

#6 · (Edited by Moderator)
For the benefit of anyone else who has not used this procedure it is different from the zip file update method.
You will lose everything so make sure you do a backup.

The instructions on Ramos's website are actually pretty good after running them through Google Translate.
The only thing I found is that the Winimage software is VERY fussy. If you even view the vhd file in explorer before opening it in Winimage the extract will fail.

What I did was to boot into Windows 7 and the first thing I did was then open Winimage, select "Disk --> Restore Virtual Hard Disk image on physical drive" and select the drive with the blank formatted FAT32 microSD card (greater than 2Gb). Then open the W42-20130225.VHD file from the downloaded file (I also made sure it wasn't in any folders with weird characters in their name). After a while it will finish writing to the card.

Note that the card appears blank but has some space missing occupied by the Ramos system update.

Now put the card in your Ramos TF card slot with the power off. Make sure you have more than 70% power (Ramos say 50% but I am being safe).
Holding the volume + key press the power key and after a few seconds the screen will say "Updating". It will stay like this for about 5 minutes and then reboot when completed.

Edit: By the way you lose root with this update but ExynosAbuse restores it again quickly.

Hope this helps,
Jez

#8 · (Edited by Moderator)
Pardon me if I seem dense. I wish to ask just a few direct questions to make sure I understand the below instruction. Questions in text.

For the benefit of anyone else who has not used this procedure it is different from the zip file update method.
You will lose everything so make sure you do a backup.
1- With a brand new tablet, nothing saved; no extra apps installed ..I would think there is nothing to back up. Am I correct?

The instructions on Ramos's website are actually pretty good after running them through Google Translate.
The only thing I found is that the Winimage software is VERY fussy. If you even view the vhd file in explorer before opening it in Winimage the extract will fail.

What I did was to boot into Windows 7 and the first thing I did was then open Winimage, select "Disk --> Restore Virtual Hard Disk image on physical drive" and select the drive with the blank formatted FAT32 microSD card (greater than 2Gb). Then open the W42-20130225.VHD file from the downloaded file (I also made sure it wasn't in any folders with weird characters in their name). After a while it will finish writing to the card.

2. All the above is done in the PC ...right?
a. First I need to download Winimage.
b. Open Winimage from a folder with a simple name ...such as Winimage.
c. Select the formatted card to write to with "Disk --> Restore Virtual Hard Disk image on physical drive"
d. Open the W42-20130225.VHD file from within Winimage
e. It writes to the blank card.

Note that the card appears blank but has some space missing occupied by the Ramos system update.

Now put the card in your Ramos TF card slot with the power off. Make sure you have more than 70% power (Ramos say 50% but I am being safe).
Holding the volume + key press the power key and after a few seconds the screen will say "Updating". It will stay like this for about 5 minutes and then reboot when completed.
3. This is clear. Thanks.

Edit: By the way you lose root with this update but ExynosAbuse restores it again quickly.

4. Are these pretty good instruction for ExynosAbuse?
  • Firstly on your Samsung Galaxy Note 2 you have to install a file manager app. You can install the ES File Manager from market.
  • Download the Exynos Abuse APK app from here directly on your phablet.
  • Now open the ES File Manager and search with it the Exynos Abuse APK.
  • Now install the Exynos Abuse app and after that launch the same.
  • In the Exynos Abuse menu that opens, choose the "Root device" option.
  • For SuperSU permission, you need grant it.
  • Open SuperSU app and update binary.
  • Now your Galaxy Note 2 should be rooted
Got the above from here.
ExnosAbuse

Hope this helps,
Jez
It does. THANK YOU. As I said, hate to appear dense. I just want to make sure I got it when I get my W42.

#7 ·
Before the firmware is better to make a backup image of the memory card. Then you can easily restore it to the original volume.
"WinImage" -> "Disk" select the memory card, click on "Creating Virtual Hard Drive Image for Physical drive" and save the image on your computer.
After the firmware of the launch:
"WinImage" -> "Disk" -> "Restore Virtual Hard Drive Image on Physical drive", write to the memory card of her image, which we have saved.

#10 ·
Update: So far the battery behaviour below about 35% charge seems much better. Before it would drop to zero very quickly but now it seems to drop normally. It's probably the battery reporting being handled better by the upgraded firmware. I will also do a full charge and test battery life again as it seems improved.

Jez

#12 · (Edited by Moderator)
One interesting thing I have noticed with the new firmware is that when you connect it to your PC it has a default name on the PC of "w30hd(QuadCore)".

That's one helluva firmware upgrade!

Jez

#21 · (Edited by Moderator)
Not sure what I am doing wrong, but surely would appreciate any hints or help.

I have tried this 6 or 7 times with the latest downloaded firmware..

I downloaded a new firmware package.
I extracted the winimage program to a new folder on my desktop (Win7 setup)
I extracted the VHD file to a separate folder
Run the Winimage as administrator
Choose 'Disk'..then 'Restore Virtual Hard Disk image on physical drive'
Choose the destination (sd card)
Give permission, and it starts ..

Or it seems to, but I really see no activity that I can tell.

I wait and wait. Nothing showing it is done.

I check the card thru 'Computer'.

Shows same amount in first window (used; available) for the 8 gig card.
Properties for card show 8.00KB used
When opened, there is an empty folder ..LOST.DIR

I have tried a number of times to update with what I see in the W42. All goes well, except it shows nothing to update to and I just reboot.

Please help if you can. This is getting frustrating.

Also frustrating is the battery. Twice I have charged it. Twice it is at 60+% ..then the next time I pick it up it is at 10%. Surely the firmware will fix this when I get it loaded.
Please tell me this is true!

#24 ·
Also frustrating is the battery. Twice I have charged it. Twice it is at 60+% ..then the next time I pick it up it is at 10%. Surely the firmware will fix this when I get it loaded.
Please tell me this is true!
Yes, I remember this will be fixed with this update.
I was also struggling with this update some months agoo.

No worries, you made the right choice, comparing the Ramos W42 with the PiPo M8pro, and also the Vido N80 RK3188.
For sure more smooth on ICS, not slower, better screen, better wifi.
Perhaps battery life of the PiPo M8pro is better,and the sound, but I still choose for my exynos 4412 devices.

#22 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hate to be a pest ...but please ..would someone who has actually completed the update ..

Please take a look at my sequence in the post I made earlier. I need to make sure I am doing this right.

If yes ...I will keep trying ...with the fussy winimage. I had thought that my Win7 might be suspect in some way (and it may be yet) seeing I had to use 'Run as administrator' to get the winimage to work at all.

I did try it on a 2nd PC I have here with a new install of Win7 ...same exact result.

Maybe I need an XP machine.

Thanks

Note: On the Ramos website, there is a picture that shows a small window showing the VHD file being written to the card. I have seen no such window or activity.

#23 · (Edited by Moderator)
The sequence looks ok. I am running Windows 7 Home 64 bit btw.

The only difference between what you did and what I did was that I extracted everything explicitly into a hard disk folder rather than using the desktop (although I know that this also goes into a hard disk folder so no real difference as far as I can tell). Might be worth trying it just in case. I also formatted the card (also 8Gb like yours) using fat32.

I just repeated the sequence and it worked fine so long as you do it as the first thing after Windows 7 boots.

It took about 5 minutes to create the image on the microSD card. Here's the window that pops up showing progress...

Incidentally the card appears to be completely blank afterwards but it isn't and it should work fine with the W42 update method mentioned earlier in this thread.

Maybe try disabling your anti-virus to see if that is interfering in some way? Make sure you are physically disconnected from the Internet first of course

Jez
P.S. I will try and see if I can produce a backup image of the microSD card and upload it somewhere for you if you like?
EDIT: I have made an image backup using this --> Win32diskimager and the 8Gb image compresses down to around 650Mb using 7zip.
So let me know if you still cannot do the update and I will upload it somewhere for you.

#25 ·
One question I thought of, and then I will try again a bit later.

On the formatting of the flash drive, I note the winimage process actually says it clean the drive.

Still I did format it prior to trying the update using SD Formatter and also through Win7.

When doing it though either of the above, I did note there were many 'Allocation unit size' choices, especially on an 8 Gb card. I chose default.

Surely this would not conflict with some unit size Winimage was trying to use?
I know it's a stretch, but my mind thinks weird, so I thought I should ask.

#26 ·
I used default as well. Did you see my reply?

#28 ·
Apparently this tab is just not meant to be!

Placed it on the charger as I went to bed last night, 25% charge left. This morning it won't start up, not even reset. Nothing.

Unless there is a fix someone knows of ..it is back to China.

Thanks for the help here. It almost was!

#29 ·
Oh no! What a pain.

I must admit that I have kind of given up on Chinese tablets. The W42 was useful in that it helped me identify my preferred SoC (Exynos 4412).

I now have a Galaxy Note 10.1 and it is great and well worth the extra money imho, although I got mine in new condition from "the bay" so didn't pay what samsung are asking.

#32 · (Edited by Moderator)
Nice one! Will keep my fingers crossed for you that it keeps going.

EDIT: I have pm'd you BP

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.