Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Developer
10 Posts
Are you guys interested in a custom Ramos i9 ROM?

I'm currently working on something for my own tablet, but will gladly full-scale development if you people are interested.

I wouldn't be updating to 4.4 or anything of the sort, but I would fledging out 4.2.2, in its latest iterations to something quite awesome

-Auto-brightness
-Blocked Ads for both Android+YT
-Split-view (multiple apps on the screen)

-Windowed Mode (apps running in resizable windows)

-Tablet mode (none of this phablet mode) -without LCD density mods

-Advanced Power Menu

-Custom notification systems

-Some theme mods (maybe battery mods and more)

-Performance tweaks

-Custom App layout on flash

-and more...

If interested let me know, and I'll start cranking something together. It won't be ready soon soon, but I could make a roadmap to get a beta out in the field.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Seven2099

I would be interested in a custom ROM. I am trying to get USB Ethernet adaptor working and have tried three different models!

Any ideas on what I am doing wrong. One adaptor is Micro USB and when I plug it in the USB dongle settings screen comes up so I think this will not work because I do not have OTG.

The other adaptor is a three port USB+ethernet that I plug into OTG cable but does not work either.

Another adapter is just USB Ethernet and also does not work,

The stock ROM has no 'Ethernet' option but other people seem to get it working.

I am new to the world of Android tablets.

Regards

·
Developer
10 Posts
This is totally off topic, but you should try turning off WiFi completely while having the Ethernet adapter plugged in to the tablet, and the ethernet adapter connected directly to your router. Then wait two or three minutes and check if your router has assigned an IP.

Android doesn't have good networking options for Ethernet adapters but your AX88178 should work. However please note that if you aren't using an OTG cable this will not work.

·
Developer
10 Posts
unfortunately no custom recovery because there is no source for x86 to build custom recovery.

On the i9 you do have full fastboot access which means you could technically do anything/everything you want from there - so maybe in the future we can take apart the recovery.

Either that or we could try flashing a custom recovery.bin

Wanna try? :p

In any case we do have official images for flashing the tablet completely back to stock if that worries you at all.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Funny thing is I just had to sideload the stock rom back on because I screwed up the build.prop file and had my self stuck in a bootloop. I'm not developer so learning how to do that was interesting. Sadly I'm deployed to a location with crappy internet so takes like a full day to get certain sized files. I did see the fastboot in the stock recovery but not exactly sure what fastboot is. I would be wiling to help out where I can just might be slow on my side do to crap internet speed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
hi. i'm using a ramos i9 rebrand here in the philippines. it's called engage 9i distributed by a local mobile company starmobile. there are a number of users of this tablet here who are craving for a great custom rom, so we'd really love to have this custom rom rolling as soon as possible. thanks :)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hi @Seven2099

great to see someone is trying to do something extra for a really good tablet. I would be very interested in any custom ROM you can do.

Slightly off topic, but still custom ROM.........Windows 8.1.

I know this processor can support Windows 8.1 as the Dell Venue uses it. Ramos is bringing out a dual boot Windows 8.1/Android 4.2.2 ( newer Intel CPU) so there must (hopefully) be a need out there and the I'm sure there are developers with the capabilities.

I would REALLY like to see a dual boot option for my i9.

Thanks

Rob

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hi @seven2099

any progress on a custom rom? I'm a real novice on rom development but I have tried a few things on my i9, not with much success I must admit.

Could you possibly post a list of tools you use so I could "tinker" a bit? I mostly run in Windows but can sort out a Linux Mint box if really necessary.

Thanks

Rob

·
Registered
10 Posts
+1 from me also, but the one I'm getting is the Modecom branded GPS version. It's not a big deal whether the GPS works or not but I hope the ROM itself will be compatible!

About the auto-brightness.. is there a sensor for that in the tablet?! This and the other possible features all sound excellent!

·
Registered
1 Posts
+1 for custom rom, or list of tools that are essential in working for the development of i9. Please help us how to go to fastboot status.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hmm, I am having real problem with the i9 wifi connection.

I paired it with an ASUS RT-N66U (one of the best routers out there) and still having "Authentication problems". The password is 100% OK, as sometimes it connects OK, works like it should, the other minute it sloows down to absolutely 0 and I can not at all do anything with the Internet. This sometimes do not happen for 2-3 days, all is working well, then sudenly all is off and says "Authentication problem".

You guys have no any problem with the WIFI connection of the tablet? Always working perfectly?

(I would like to see tweek in the WIFI field, that was my main thought with this post)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I have a problem with my Ramos i9.
I have loaded and run the latest firmware from the ramos.com.cn website. After I start the Update-Process the screen goes black and the device will not boot again. I think I install the wrong firmware for a Ramos i9 with GPS. Can somebody help me to reinstall the firmware by using a Windows-PC.
Thanks!

·
Registered
14 Posts
In any case we do have official images for flashing the tablet completely back to stock if that worries you at all.
Hello seven2099,

My tablet is (temporarily I hope) down.
The touch screen does not respond and after starting the tablet scrolls programs and options ...
I can not do anything on it

This may be a connection problem between the screen and the motherboard, but before I open my ramos i9, I would make sure my system is OK.

Fortunately, I can still use the fastboot and adb commands from a PC.

Also, I need original rom files in .img format in order to reflash my tablet.

If you can give me a link to find these files I will be very grateful!

Otherwise, I am also interested in a custom rom.

I would like it to be rooted, reclaimed from Chinese software, and gravitybox installed.
I would like also a resource-efficient launcher.

I'd be happy to test this rom as soon as my tablet will be repaired.

Best regards.

Patrick

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey Steve, I would like to know if theres a way I could fully root a local brand i9 / 9i of ramos? Cause I cant find a way to grant my tablet shell access as a superuser.

Im using a rebrand version of Ramos i9 called Starmobile Engage 9i running 4.2.2 JellyBean. Adb popup seems to work temporarily and the superuser access but it just cant run binary commands fully like shell indepth comands even the simpliest shell command such as reboot, or run rooting apps that requires full root such as Xmod apks like Xmod Games and Xposed installer framework.

Im looking for a way to root this tablet and as well a custom rom, & a custom recovery(which isnt ramos stock).
May I interest developers out there to try on this one since it has really good specs as it could possibly run windows 8.1..

You can post reply to me to my mail too at [email protected] so i could keep track on it right away.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts