Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Before I decide to send this thing back to Kmart just wanted to contribute to the community some pictures of the inside of this device. I hope it helps for some. I was bored so I decided to take some pics using my Canon Rebel T1i
Also what I basically found was that this thing screams "Rush me to market" and "High hopes". You will see that there is a blank pcb on the left side that I can only assume was for the features that we will never have. What do you all think? Use the pictures as you wish. I only ask that you give credit where it is due. The pictures are rather large but I hope they serve you all well.

·
Registered
43 Posts
The blank board looks like it was going to have something to do with the screen. I only see one place for an IC the rest of the pads are for SMD transistors, resistors, caps and such. I do see one place for a button so I would say that the blank board might have been some sort of minor control board for the screen backlight. If I was a betting man I would say that it was for a LED backlight and the switch would have been to shut it off.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Hey! Just noticed that the WiFi is an atheros, which is well supported by linux, so that would be a BIG piece of getting froyo onto the GT.(Or at least it looks like it says Atheros to me... too bad can't really make anything out in the out of focus pics...)

·
Registered
548 Posts
So what are the odds that the empty port that on the case is labeled hdmi would actually function if someone put the port there and found some drivers? Do people think that thing is alive?

·
Registered
576 Posts
Takiyon;35137]This better? I hope it helps.[/QUOTE]MUCH better photo. Thanks. I said:
Wierd. My battery is clearly marked with a capacity of 2100 mAh and yours is 1500 mAh. i only get about 3 h of heavy browsing with mine, I can't imagine what you get.
Yep. Already mentioned on xda thread and elsewhere that some people have gotten a 2X00 mAh batt and other 1X00 mAh. I'm hopeing to end up with a 2X00 mAh or better if I ever get one...

·
Registered
255 Posts
[quote name='cutterjohn;35124]Hey! Just noticed that the WiFi is an atheros' date=' which is well supported by linux, so that would be a BIG piece of getting froyo onto the GT.[/QUOTE']Unfortunately, I think that having source for a Telechips TCC89xx Linux BSP with machine-specific memory maps, registers, DMA controller addresses, interrupt layout, video controller logic and everything else Telechips-specific would be the BIG piece of getting froyo onto the GT.

·
Registered
576 Posts
[quote name='projectgus;35613]Unfortunately' date=' I think that having source for a Telechips TCC89xx Linux BSP with machine-specific memory maps, registers, DMA controller addresses, interrupt layout, video controller logic and everything else Telechips-specific would be the BIG piece of getting froyo onto the GT. [IMG]http://www.slatedroid.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/sad.gif[/IMG][/QUOTE']Not really. Lack of drivers is usually the biggest challenge...

·
Registered
255 Posts
cutterjohn;36023 said:
Not really. Lack of drivers is usually the biggest challenge...
LOL. Um... See here? See all those directories with names starting with mach-? Those are board support package (BSP) directories for different bits of ARM hardware.Having this level of board support is the first and major step to having Linux (hence Android) on any SoC. Some SoCs are already well supported, for example OMAP3 that powers the Wits tablet. Some are being worked on, like the VIA/Wondermedia WM8505 that had source released the other day (I've been playing with that a bit myself.) Some haven't been released at all by the manufacturer, like Telechips TCC8902 in your Augen tablet.Without board support you can't build a kernel that boots at all, or interacts with the user in any way. Saying that knowing about Atheros AR6000 wifi (that's the model, see the Duplicate Mac thread) is a BIG part of porting is like saying that knowing about the steering wheel is a big part of building a car.There is one possible exception to this, which is that it might be possible to run Froyo on the current binary-only kernel. That certainly hasn't been the experience with WM8505, in that case the Android layer had a variety of non-standard proprietary hooks into the binary-only kernel that bypass the kernel's normal device abstractions. I haven't done anything with a Gentouch so I have no idea if the same comparison applies there, although presumably someone somewhere has tried loading a default Froyo userspace build by now. In any case, the particular wifi chipset doesn't factor in to that.

·
Registered
576 Posts
[quote name='projectgus;36579]LOL. Um... See [URL=http://github.com/android/kernel_common/tree/android-2.6.25/arch/arm/]here[/URL]? See all those directories with names starting with mach-? Those are board support package (BSP) directories for different bits of ARM hardware.Having this level of board support is the first and major step to having Linux (hence Android) on any SoC. Some SoCs are already well supported' date=' for example OMAP3 that powers the Wits tablet. Some are being worked on, like the VIA/Wondermedia WM8505 that had source released the other day (I've been playing with that a bit myself.) Some haven't been released at all by the manufacturer, like Telechips TCC8902 in your Augen tablet.Without board support you can't build a kernel that boots at all, or interacts with the user in any way. Saying that knowing about Atheros AR6000 wifi (that's the model, see the Duplicate Mac thread) is a BIG part of porting is like saying that knowing about the steering wheel is a big part of building a car.There is one possible exception to this, which is that it might be possible to run Froyo on the current binary-only kernel. That certainly hasn't been the experience with WM8505, in that case the Android layer had a variety of non-standard proprietary hooks into the binary-only kernel that bypass the kernel's normal device abstractions. I haven't done anything with a Gentouch so I have no idea if the same comparison applies there, although presumably someone somewhere has tried loading a default Froyo userspace build by now. In any case, the particular wifi chipset doesn't factor in to that.[/QUOTE']I'm sorry, but you truly are clueless aren't you?

·
Registered
576 Posts
[quote name='projectgus;36579]<snip>Without board support you can't build a kernel that boots at all' date=' or interacts with the user in any way. Saying that knowing about Atheros AR6000 wifi (that's the model, see the Duplicate Mac thread) is a BIG part of porting is like saying that knowing about the steering wheel is a big part of building a car.There is one possible exception to this, which is that it might be possible to run Froyo on the current binary-only kernel. That certainly hasn't been the experience with WM8505, in that case the Android layer had a variety of non-standard proprietary hooks into the binary-only kernel that bypass the kernel's normal device abstractions. I haven't done anything with a Gentouch so I have no idea if the same comparison applies there, although presumably someone somewhere has tried loading a default Froyo userspace build by now. In any case, the particular wifi chipset doesn't factor in to that.[/QUOTE']Actually those aren't boards, they're SoC specific files, and as you will note there is none for omap3. Bottomline is if the necessary info isn't in the datasheet, it can readily be obtained from an already running system which does exist and the framework to build the necessary SoC specific files already exists unlike with binary only drivers where you get to start completely from scratch, hence drivers are usually the primary problem factor. (I've already done this with some discrete MIPS based boards, and the odd x86.)New to OSS OSes aren't ya? Otherwise you would already know about the driver problem, rather than actually being able to get a kernel up and running with a base environment.

·
Registered
255 Posts
[quote name='cutterjohn;36645]and as you will note there is none for omap3.[/QUOTE]The base support is part of mach-omap2/ AFAIK. I don't know much is actually in the Android tree atm' date=' but it's [URL=http://processors.wiki.ti.com/index.php/OMAP3_GIT_Linux_Kernel#mach-omap2']out there[/URL].[quote name='cutterjohn;36645]Bottomline is if the necessary info isn't in the datasheet' date=' it can readily be obtained from an already running system which does exist and the framework to build the necessary SoC specific files already exists[/QUOTE']Do you have any resources on how to do this without a datasheet, especially with a non-standard kernel that doesn't follow normal design guidelines? I'm sure it's technically possible, I'd love to know how it can be done easily. For instance, the WM8505 video registers are completely undocumented apart from a definition of the address space - do you have any tips for working out how they work?[quote name='cutterjohn;36645]unlike with binary only drivers where you get to start completely from scratch' date=' hence drivers are usually the primary problem factor.[/quote']I agree, but I think the difficult drivers in this case are going to mostly be the ones embedded in the SoC. Which AFAIK noone knows very much about, from the basic board support on up.

·
Registered
784 Posts
I'm not sure how often i posted this, but here is some of the BSP's for Telechips. Don't know who leaked them. They've been used to build kernels for the SmartQ in the past. List of user files ValdikSSYes, there is a kernel patch inside along with full source for most everything we need for our own kernel on telechips cpu's. Enjoy!(Cross compiler, kernel clean source, patches, etc etc.)For the lazy: You need the BSP and APP files :)For normal users, these files are worthless, and you cannot do anything with them, they're for devs..

·
Registered
576 Posts
look through this thread:SmartQ MID Unofficial Board • View topic - Telechips TCC89XX Datasheets + sourcescrapload of Telechips porting docs, and kernel source, plus there's an HDMI patch presumably to enable HDMI output support... I'm still waiting for the kernel tree to download...heh... looks like you found his actual file store online, whereas I guess that I found the thread talking about it with direct links to those files...Anyways, I knew about this thread(above) for quite some time but never really bothered to waste time on it as I have no hw, and may not even end up with the GT, i.e. wasted time, as the A81-E is looking really good if Augen doesn't cough up more GTs soonish...as to the patch: I'm not so sure that I'd want to run off willy-nilly applying it as it's for an older kernel and quite a few changes have been made since then. 2.6.x is kind of annoying the way in that they keep rolling in fairly major changes whereas in the past they'd've gone into the 2.7.x tree(dev tree). They added alot of kernel mode graphics support, which I suspect that Android makes use of...[EDIT]Wow! Looking through their linxu docs, they put together an almost dummies guide to their patches... pretty impressive, usually it's more of a matter of: "here it is. have fun."wonder if this is why so many run at 600 or 720:
Code:
//#define FCPU_720MHZ_INCLUDE//#define FCPU_600MHZ_INCLUDE#define FCPU_506MHZ_INCLUDE/* default */
[/EDIT]

·
Registered
33 Posts
cutterjohn;36890]look through this thread:[URL=http://www.smartqmid.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=498]SmartQ MID Unofficial Board • View topic - Telechips TCC89XX Datasheets + sources[/URL]crapload of Telechips porting docs said:
Wow! Looking through their linxu docs, they put together an almost dummies guide to their patches... pretty impressive, usually it's more of a matter of: "here it is. have fun."wonder if this is why so many run at 600 or 720:
Code:
//#define FCPU_720MHZ_INCLUDE//#define FCPU_600MHZ_INCLUDE#define FCPU_506MHZ_INCLUDE/* default */
[/EDIT]
Anyone tried to change this to 720 and check the speed? What file is this in?

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.