Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry, I'm sure this must be basic stuff but I've searched here & googled, and failed to find.

I'm comfortable with flashing new ROMs onto my tablet, but I don't totally understand kernels and partitions & would appreciate a little help in simple terms if possible

1. The kernel will determine CPU clock speeds, is that right, and is there any more I need to know about them as an end user? What does the partition refer to - is this the tablet's 'internal storage' partition, or something else?

2. If I want to change to a different partition size to what I currently have, is there something specific I need to do other than putting the zt-update folder on my SD card & flashing?

3. Once my tablet's up & running, are there any simple ways I can check I did it right
- how to see it's set up the way it should be?

·
Zenithink Tablet User / Information Transmitter
6,629 Posts
Sorry, I'm sure this must be basic stuff but I've searched here & googled, and failed to find.

I'm comfortable with flashing new ROMs onto my tablet, but I don't totally understand kernels and partitions & would appreciate a little help in simple terms if possible

1. The kernel will determine CPU clock speeds, is that right, and is there any more I need to know about them as an end user? What does the partition refer to - is this the tablet's 'internal storage' partition, or something else?

2. If I want to change to a different partition size to what I currently have, is there something specific I need to do other than putting the zt-update folder on my SD card & flashing?

3. Once my tablet's up & running, are there any simple ways I can check I did it right
- how to see it's set up the way it should be?
1. The kernel has the min and max CPU speeds set, to change them, you need to alter the kernel.... The partition sizes/table is in the kernel and the recovery files, the recovery is used when you flash the tablet so the partition sizes needs to be changed there in order for the tablet to format it to the correct sizes, and then when you boot up normally, the kernel needs to have the same partition sizes/table as the kernel does in order to run properly... The tablet is split up into 4 partitions. System, cache, data, and media. The system partition is where the system.zt280.tar.bz file gets untared to, cache is the cache, the data partition is where the apps you download or sideload are installed, and where the data for those apps and the dalvik-cache is.... And the media partition is the last partition, where you can store your personal files, like documents, pictures, videos, etc... You only need the 2GB data mod if you want more space to store apps on the tablet....

2. If you want the 2GB data partition mod, you just need to have the 2GB altered kernel and recovery (replacing the stock ones) in your zt-update folder (along with the other ROM files, since the tablet needs to be wiped and formatted to the new sizes before you flash the ROM back on it)... Since you are using justinthegeek's ROM that is using my Overclocked kernel and 2GB data partition kernel and recovery, you don't need to do anything more. If you want to go back to stock CPU speed and 1GB data, then replace the kernel and recovery files with the stock ones..

3. You can use an app like Android System Info to check the CPU min and max speeds, and check in Settings/Storage to see if the sizes of the partitions are correct....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts