Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I don't have an external sd for my PDN and I install aldiko, do the books have to go in the aldiko folder on the internal sd? If I get an external sd later, can I install the books to the external or do they HAVE to be in the aldiko folder? Any help would be greatly appreciated.Wulfie

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
I don't think there's a way around the SD card with Aldiko (unless there's a hack I don't know about). Not only does it look in the SD card, but a specific location on the SD Card (/ebooks/Import). Annoying.

·
Registered
87 Posts
So if we are forced to use the external card what is the purpose of increasing the size of the internal? I was planning on doing this to eliminate the multiple SD card reading prompts on boot. But if I will still need the external I might not bother.

·
Registered
90 Posts
There is no compelling reason to upgrade the internal memory right now unless you use the stock PDN software. I didn't realize that until I had opened it and installed an 8gb micro sd card. Until there is a hack that tricks the PDN into seeing the internal micro-sd card as /sdcard, we will have to use the external sd card. From the wiki under quirks: # Internal storage (1GB) is accessible only by Pandigital's apps. Other apps installed (Kindle, Aldiko, etc.) can only store data on the external SD card. The internal card is referred to as "PD_Novel" while external is "sdcard".

·
Registered
361 Posts
Only reason for new internal card is to get a faster one. Although this is not confirmed, some here believe they see an improvement in overall system performance with a faster SD card. It doesn't logically make sense, but some swear that it helps. YMMV. Most advise to spend your money on a faster external SD card & leave the internal as-is.BTW, be aware that, if you use a micro SD card with a SD adapter, your Micro SD card can fall out of the adapter. Depending on your adapter, the micro SD card does not click in & can slip out.

·
Registered
361 Posts
zsmomma;50407 said:
you mght increase the internal sd if you have alot of books from B&N and lots of apps.
Don't know how you are going to get lots of apps. Unless PD makes some changes to allow it. They haven't yet, have they?

·
Registered
90 Posts
arrow_choi;50418 said:
I dont think Apps are installed into the internal sd neither.
They're not. I added a class 4 8gb card to the PDN and there is no increase in it's speed. Maybe it's faster reading the PDN B&N or video files but other than that, there's no benefit. I'm not using any of the stock software, anyway. NO other apps are installed to it, everything is being put on the external sd card. Also, there are no hidden files, cache, hidden partitions etc on the internal card. Take a look at the files that are on the internal card, only PDN ones are on it. I have hope that the internal card can at some point be renamed as the /sdcard but that would require something at the firmware level?

·
Registered
87 Posts
I am really confused now. I hacked my PDN using the Roebeet 8/27 build which I flashed using an 8GB card from a camera. I then removed it and put a 64MB (yes you read that right) in and started playing downloading books and loading apps. If the Roebeet build includes alternate apps which it does, how do they still work? I would have thought based on previous posts they would have been installed on the 8GB card when the PDN was flashed, so when I try to access them later there would be nothing to access. I have d/l books for Aldiko and do see they are on the card but I do not see any apk files. What am I missing here? Really want to pick up a bigger card for this thing but I am now confused where stuff actually goes.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Just to be clear, and please correct me if I'm wrong, there is the built-in internal Xmb/gb memory(how much device memory does it have, 512mb?), the removable 1gb internal microsd, and the external sd card. All of the .apk's should be installing in the built-in memory. PDN specific programs use the internal microsd card (PD_Novel), and the rest of the programs like Aldiko use the external sd card (sdcard) for storage. Do I have this right? We can't install programs onto /sdcard unless we use a program like apps 2 sd (which requires a special partition on the sdcard) or the built-in support that Android 2.2. Someone please clear this up for me.

·
Premium Member
1,420 Posts
There is a 256MB internal memory area that Android uses to install programs (only about 190MB are available to the user). So, any programs install to /data are installed here. The 1GB internal storage card is for apps and files to be used by the PDN native apps like the reader and music player. The programs still work because they are install to the internal memory area. Only some programs will install things to the SD card automatically. Those programs might have issues running when you remove the sdcard.

·
Registered
87 Posts
OK...so apps I d/l from market get installed in the remaining 256MB section but they may use the external SD card for storage data etc. The internal micro SD card is only for PDN use and data related to those apps. Correct? If so I was thinking of loading up pictures and some music and thought about putting it on the micro SD card. If I do this will new apps be able to access it or does it need to be on the external SD card for them to see it?

·
Registered
361 Posts
fatbastard;50623 said:
snipI have d/l books for Aldiko and do see they are on the card but I do not see any apk files. What am I missing here? Really want to pick up a bigger card for this thing but I am now confused where stuff actually goes.
Alkido does a conversion of the apk when it imports the apk. I never looked into it, but it may just rename the apk files, but you are right, the original apk is no longer where you put it.I hate having to have the SD card available for the system to function, but it's just a matter of getting used to it. Maybe I will someday.

·
Registered
90 Posts
[quote name='arrow_choi;50782]WIK' date=' yes, you are correct. Our PDN has only 256mb, and all the installed apks are in /data/app. Thus, when the 256mb are running out, we will have hard time to install any additional apps.[/QUOTE'] Thanks for clearing that up. I'll try to clarify this info in the wiki.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.