Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been looking to getting an Android based reader for comics and am wondering about the performance of ACV on the Novel. I bought an Archos 5IT and ACV works great with CBZ files on that. The page turning was instant on it. Unfortunately the screen is a bit too small. I bought the Archos 7HT after that but the performance of ACV was poor. I was seeing like 5 seconds between page turns, and that was after letting the page cache a bit while reading the current page. Just not really the ideal way to read. So I guess my question is, how well does ACV perform with CBZ files? I know CBR is not ideal for Android based devices and I've already used Comic Rack to convert all my CBRs to CBZs. I'm just looking for something that will let me smoothly transition between pages without a wait. Thanks for any input

·
Registered
80 Posts
All of my stuff is in CBR and I have been using ACV on the Novel for a few weeks. The performance is pretty good, unless the file sizer are large. So... single issues work much better than lets say an entire graphic novel (sometimes with larger files it will just not open it and cite a memory error). I didn't know that android took except to the CBR/RAR format, I'll try converting some to CBZ and see if it works even better. In short... it works well.

·
Registered
116 Posts
[quote name='StoneDog;26088]All of my stuff is in CBR and I have been using ACV on the Novel for a few weeks. The performance is pretty good' date=' unless the file sizer are large. So... single issues work much better than lets say an entire graphic novel (sometimes with larger files it will just not open it and cite a memory error). I didn't know that android took except to the CBR/RAR format, I'll try converting some to CBZ and see if it works even better. In short... it works well.[/QUOTE']Reading CBR files are always MUCH slower...from the ACV FAQ file...Why is CBR/RAR support beta?RAR is an archive format that isn?t as widely supported as the ZIP format. In particular, the Android platform natively supports ZIP decompression and not RAR decompression.We added CBR/RAR support because it was a commonly requested feature. However, current RAR decompression algorithms for Android are slow and consume too much battery life. While this implementation is not improved, we recommend converting your CBR/RAR files to CBZ/ZIP, or simply decompressing them to the SD card and open the image folders with a long tap.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Someone else had posted that CBZ's should be faster, but I had never tested it. CBR's do take a few seconds to refresh, but not on every page - and the 7 inch 800x600 size is probably the bare minimum I would recommend for reading comics. I find it to be usable, but obviously decreasing the refresh time would be nice.Don't bother with the Augen Gentouch, btw - ACV doesn't work on it. It only uses about 50% of the screen size and it's basically unreadable.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Yeah the CBR -> CBZ conversion made all the difference on my Archos 5IT. It loads all CBZs flawlessly now. Whereas before on CBRs when I tried to change the page it would say "Loading Page X" for several seconds before the page loaded. Now the page just loads immediately, even with no cache time. That's what I'm looking for in a larger device. Something that, when given enough time to cache the next page, turns there without the "Loading Page X" box popping up.[quote name='roebeet;26101]Don't bother with the Augen Gentouch' date=' btw - ACV doesn't work on it. It only uses about 50% of the screen size and it's basically unreadable.[/QUOTE']Thanks for saving me the trouble, I was going to look into that as well.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I just read the entire 60-issue set of a serial graphic novel that I really enjoyed, in CBR without any problems. Worked like a dream. The issues themselves were standard comic-book sized, not anything enormous, so I didn't really test with gigantic files, but it works really well.The one caveat that I found for it, is that you'll want to go into settings and in custom controls change the function of the back button to "none" so that you can back out of the application to the homescreen, rather than endlessly scrolling backwards through comics.-C

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.