Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
n00b
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some devices I have owned have touted a 32GB microSD card capacity, but were unable to read a 32GB microSD card when installed. The latesdevice being my Android tablet. The cure in every case was simple enough (though incurring and additional cost) -- just drop back to a 16GB microSD card.

There was nothing apparantly wrong with the 32GB microSD cards in that I could read them in my PC ok, see all the files on them, and read or play all them. The problem in every case was the devices (other than a PC) could see the microSD card (mounted ok) but could not see either any, or most, of the files.

The first device displaying this problem was the Motorola EX124G feature cell phone - not an Android device. The second device displaying the problem was an Android (2.3) cell phone - the LG Optimus Net. . The third device was another feature cell phone - the LG 840G (not an Android device). And the fourth device is my current Chinese Android (4.0) tablet.

Since I am incurring this problem over a wide range of devices, I think it is something in the operating systems perhaps relating to being able to index the microSD card - and that 32GB may be too big in size to index properly. Just a guess.

The bottom line is if you try a 32GB microSD card, and lose files on it, or can't see them, drop back to a 16GB microSD card.

·
Premium Member
7,365 Posts
Hello Doctor M,

How is your 32GB card formatted? I know my older devices will not read NTFS and require the larger cards to be in FAT32 format.

Also, this is not really Android Tablet News, so normally, I'd be moving your topic to the Android Tablets: Questions & Answers forum,
but you don't have 10 posts (prerequisite to participate in that forum) ... so, I'll be moving it to the Android Compatible Devices & Add On's forum. Thanks for understanding.

Regards,
Mrsburnout

·
n00b
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your feedback.

All my microSD cards are of fairly recent purchase. As are my devices - 2012 or later. I wouldn't consider that old just yet. But I would agree with you that Information and devices more than a couple years old fairly useless -- technology moves on too fast. Even the Chinese tablet I bought last August isn't marketed to the US any more -- probably because it has the exact same external dimensions of the Apple IPad -- and they may be concerned about the Apple lawsuits..

I don't re-format any of the microSD cards - just use them right out of the box. Formatting can't be an issue because the 16GB and lower microSD cards are read and usable by all devices. If formatting were a problem it would persisit over all sizes. It is just the 32GB cards that are producing problems -- some files on the 32GB's are seen, but not all of the files are seen. May be a quality problem, but also may be an indexing problem, perhaps associated with the biggest number that can be read by the indexing routine.

I'm interested to see if anyone else has such an issue with 32GB cards. So I don't have to buy a bunch and bear the cost of investigation -- They are kind of expensive.

As far as posting -- I apparantly can't post anywhere else on this site. May be too many restrictions up and new tablet users just go elsewhere. You might want to re-think if your posting strategy is overly-restrictive -- people with questions looking for answers aren't going to hang around waiting to build up posts..

The site is very well constructed, and I compliment the builders. But I don't see that many users giving useful information just yet. I would hope to be useful, but if there isn't useful interaction, I'll be going elswhere myself.

·
Premium Member
7,365 Posts
Thanks for your feedback.

All my microSD cards are of fairly recent purchase. As are my devices - 2012 or later. I wouldn't consider that old just yet. But I would agree with you that Information and devices more than a couple years old fairly useless -- technology moves on too fast. Even the Chinese tablet I bought last August isn't marketed to the US any more -- probably because it has the exact same external dimensions of the Apple IPad -- and they may be concerned about the Apple lawsuits..

I don't re-format any of the microSD cards - just use them right out of the box. Formatting can't be an issue because the 16GB and lower microSD cards are read and usable by all devices. If formatting were a problem it would persisit over all sizes. It is just the 32GB cards that are producing problems -- some files on the 32GB's are seen, but not all of the files are seen. May be a quality problem, but also may be an indexing problem, perhaps associated with the biggest number that can be read by the indexing routine.

I'm interested to see if anyone else has such an issue with 32GB cards. So I don't have to buy a bunch and bear the cost of investigation -- They are kind of expensive.

As far as posting -- I apparantly can't post anywhere else on this site. May be too many restrictions up and new tablet users just go elsewhere. You might want to re-think if your posting strategy is overly-restrictive -- people with questions looking for answers aren't going to hang around waiting to build up posts..

The site is very well constructed, and I compliment the builders. But I don't see that many users giving useful information just yet. I would hope to be useful, but if there isn't useful interaction, I'll be going elswhere myself.
LOFL!!!
You haven't tried re-formatting any of your SD cards... and say that it can't be an issue? really?

Honestly, I wasn't gonna respond, but read through your content and decided to stop any spread of misinformation further.

From the looks of your signature line, you're academia is preventing your ability to even consider/bother with with basic beginner steps.
That being said, I will allow this topic to remain, only because you have stated your workaround for your issue in the first place.

Thanks for the laughs, your opinions.. and happy reading.

Regards,
Mrsburnout

·
n00b
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can see why this site (otherwise well constructed) has no useful traffic -- with idiot postings like yours.
You can erase my posts. I won't be visting again.

LOFL!!!
You haven't tried re-formatting any of your SD cards... and say that it can't be an issue? really?

Honestly, I wasn't gonna respond, but read through your content and decided to stop any spread of misinformation further.

From the looks of your signature line, you're academia is preventing your ability to even consider/bother with with basic beginner steps.
That being said, I will allow this topic to remain, only because you have stated your workaround for your issue in the first place.

Thanks for the laughs, your opinions.. and happy reading.

Regards,
Mrsburnout

·
Registered
8 Posts
Some devices I have owned have touted a 32GB microSD card capacity, but were unable to read a 32GB microSD card when installed. The latesdevice being my Android tablet. The cure in every case was simple enough (though incurring and additional cost) -- just drop back to a 16GB microSD card.

There was nothing apparantly wrong with the 32GB microSD cards in that I could read them in my PC ok, see all the files on them, and read or play all them. The problem in every case was the devices (other than a PC) could see the microSD card (mounted ok) but could not see either any, or most, of the files.

The first device displaying this problem was the Motorola EX124G feature cell phone - not an Android device. The second device displaying the problem was an Android (2.3) cell phone - the LG Optimus Net. . The third device was another feature cell phone - the LG 840G (not an Android device). And the fourth device is my current Chinese Android (4.0) tablet.

Since I am incurring this problem over a wide range of devices, I think it is something in the operating systems perhaps relating to being able to index the microSD card - and that 32GB may be too big in size to index properly. Just a guess.

The bottom line is if you try a 32GB microSD card, and lose files on it, or can't see them, drop back to a 16GB microSD card.
I bought a lesser known 9", 8GB Hipstreet Flare2, 4.1 Jelly Bean tablet about 4 days ago before Christmas.
I also bought and inserted a 32GB SD card.
I don't have the issue that you mentioned.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts