Android Tablets Forum banner
41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Changed scriptcmd. debian now sees 230mb of memory. Don't know how far I can push 256mb but 230 is go enough for now. Thanks projectgus for the mkimage posts.

·
Registered
85 Posts
[quote name='damianitalian;38662]@jacob I do not have any shut down icon on the desktop bar' date=' I have to shut down by command halt, any hint?[/QUOTE']Currently there is no way to shutdown except by issuing a command in the terminal. I didn't want to add a shortcut without a confirmation dialog, so I just left it out. If you want to add one you can either install it as an application link or on the taskbar next to the keyboard button.Application shortcuts go in /usr/share/applications/Look in /root/.xinitrc for clues on how to add to the dock. You can also read the documentation for matchbox. Please post your work if you add one.tav1234, great work porting it to your device! The wifi module should be easy. Just copy rt2870sta.ko from android over to /lib/modules/ and change /etc/modules, or if necissary add 'insmod /etc/modules/rt2870sta.ko' to a startup script.No idea about the ethernet, but I have noticed an ethernet device coming up on the m001. Sure would be cool if we could find some pinouts.About the touchcal file. Try running 'cd /; find -name touchcal' under android. Maybe you can locate the file. I think that will help the most, otherwise I'm sure there is a way to flip the pointer.What is the name of your device? That extra ram must be really nice.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi JacobI got the Ethernet up and running on my slate.The problem was that on boot or "ifup" I was getting a device eth0 no found error.For the record, here's how to get Ethernet going with your v3 debian.1) Edit /etc/networ/interfaces and add eth0.For example mine is: (have not tried dhcp yet)auto loiface lo inet loopbackauto eth0iface eth0 inet static address 192.168.7.205 netmask 255.255.255.0 gateway 192.168.7.12) At this point when I booted I got the no eth0 device error. So here is how to fix it.Go into /etc/udev/rules.d and edit the 70-persistent-net.rules file.Comment out all eth? devices. Then reboot.If that doesn't work then try 'ifconfig -a". You will should seen a Ethernet device at an address other then eth0. Jot down the mac address of this device. Go into 70-persistent-net.rules and edit the mac address of the eth0 entry so that it matches your ethernet mac address. Comment out all other ethernet device except eth0.I think the problem arises because in your release the 70-persistent-net.rules file has eth0 already defined so when debian boots on a new device then that devices ethernet get added to the rules as eth1 or eth2 or whatever.I am still working on the touch and wireless. I think I have done what you recommend but I will go through it again with your post in hand to make sure I haven't missed anything. Then I will report back. I think for the touch I do need to find the touchcal file on the android side, which doesn't seem to be anywhere on the file system. I rooted my android (no an easy task with slatedroid v1.3) this afternoon so I will "root" around in the files system some more tomorrow. I fear they might have hide it in one of the mds areas. I may need to drop a post to the slatedroid firmware forum and see if the firmware guys there can give be a hand. I did manage to snag the kernal from the android to compare it with yours. Except for address 0x6d & 0x6e it is idential to the one in your release. So I assume this unit has a stock slatedroid 1.3. When I get the wifi and touch ironed out I may take a go at the camera or not. The unit doesn't have a brand name on it. If you want to see what I have, do a search of ebay for:7" android tablet 256MB CAMERA USB RJ45. I got mine on ebay from Akingsupermarket for 99 dollars but they don't seem to have this model listed at the moment. Put other vendors have the same unit for a bit more money.I think the USB/RJ45 dongle may work on the eken since it looks to have the same connector. The dongle is a pain though -- likes to fall off. Mine might get epoxied on before long.And yes 256mb is nice.Thanks for the help as well ands all the hardwork you put in to your eken debian.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Have touch working and playing nice with mice. Running 'cd /; find -name touchcal" did the trick. The catch with slatedroid 1.3 is you must be root to do it. Howerver, you don't need to be root to copy it. The problem with finding touchcal is the /data directory is marked '--x' for the user. Therefore you can can't see whats in '/data' unless you are root.So for those slatedroid 1.3 users who do not what to root their device here's how: Eithercp /data/wmtpref/touchcal /LocalDisk # then snag it with the usb download cableoradb pull /data/wmtpref/touchcal .On to wifi.Thanks Jacob

·
Registered
12 Posts
JacobGot Wireless up.You where spot on about the android driver. Even though you have a rt3070sta.ko, seems this device wants android version.I need to do some scripts to switch from wifi to ethernet and back. Right now ethernet handles all the traffic when it is up, even if there is no cable. I guess I can't expect auto switch without the network manager package.I noticed that there are some commands flashing by on boot to power up the wifi interface. Where can I find out more about powering up and down devices. I want to take a crack at the camera. From poking around android the camera appears to be a usb uvc driverless and the kernel appear to have v4l configured.Thank for all the help.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Great progress!I suggest making a network selection script. It's very easy to power network interfaces up and down:ifconfig eth0 upifconfig eth0 downTake a look at my wifi configuration script, it should have some other good clues.About the camera, you might need some kernel modules, I'm not sure. If it's a standard V4L interface, then you should just be able to use it once your kernel module is loaded. You just need to find a lightweight app. I love Cheese on gnome, but those gnome libraries will hurt. I think the big problem will be our unaccelerated graphics; maybe you can find a webcam app that uses the framebuffer directly rather than X11; that would help. Our devices would run much better with accelerated graphics, but I haven't investigated at all.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have one hitch to resolve in doing the up down script. For some reason the nameserver from resolve doesn't seem to get attached to the resolve.conf file. Could be cockpit error. I need to play with it some more tomorrow. I will take a close look at your wfie script. Thanks for the tip.As for the camera I think the kernel may be good to go as is. The camera works fine with slatedroid. I am currently using my slatedroid android kernal in debian. The slatedroid kernel is the seems to be eken kernel which if I am no mistaken is what you are currently using. Anyway when I plug in a "driverless" usb camera debian sees it and builds the /dev/video0 device. Don't have a camera app loaded yet. The other problem is the usb port on the slate doesn't seem to be able to provide enough current to run the camera right. I think I will be needing an external powered hub before I do to much playing with USB, (and I plan quit a bit of USB playing). I am thinking along the lines of webcam-server and apache to service snapshots at about 1 or 2 fps plus some other stuff custom USB stuff.Anyway the first thing I need to figure out is how to power up and down the camera.

·
Registered
2 Posts
tav1234 -I have the same tablet as you do. However, I did something unexplicably dumb with mine and I need some help... Without taking a backup (dumb) I updated with an Eken M001 image (inexplicable what I was thinking!).Now it boots up just fine (they're both WM8505 based devices) but the button mapping and the touchscreen calibration is all screwed up. Is there any chance I can get some assistance from you in the form of a copy of your etctouchcal file and a copy of wherever the button mapping is stored?I did this stupid thing after I got tripped up by the infamous "lcd brightness set to zero" bug.Sigh.I'd be happy to help you testing your work on a different tablet or working on other issues.Thanks,John "now that was dumb" H.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi johnHSorry to hear about accidental re-flash. Thats been my greatest fears. I don't know enough about the android side of the house to feel fully confident yet. But I am learning.Be glad to help.Here is whats in my touchcal file:-278 -24244 96457431 -14852 -69 57920035 116328Most likely won't be quit calibrated but at least the touch screen should be right side up.Don't know what you mean by
copy of wherever the button mapping is stored
? I don't think I know much about that. If you can give me some more info I will see what I can do.I changed my profile to allow member emails for the moment. So if you need stuff like the RT3070STA driver or android kernal we can work something out off line.At moment I am just learning my way around these tables. I haven't had much time the last couple of days to do research but I am currently looking to get a handle on the processor's GPIOs and how they are among other things used to power on and off hardware. For example Debian on my pad handles an external camera, but I can't use the internal camera with Debian because it is powered down. Then of course I am also trying to knock the dust off my Java skill and learn yet another API, Android. So much stuff so little time. Just give me an 8-bit processor and let me run my code on the metal. APIs we don't need no stinking APIs. LOLHope you can get things back together. Let me know what other you need.Tim

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
[quote name='damianitalian;41794]@jacob and others' date='Do you think it is possible to install ubuntu?[/QUOTE']Ubuntu Jaunty (9.04) was the last release to support ARMv5, which is the ARM instruction set used in the WM8505. So you can't install the latest two releases.Even though you could install Jaunty, you probably don't want to be running a full desktop environment on a portable device with only 128Mb of RAM (the official min requirement is 256 and the recommended is 384.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
[quote name='tav1234;43362]looking to get a handle on the processor's GPIOs and how they are among other things used to power on and off hardware. For example Debian on my pad handles an external camera' date=' but I can't use the internal camera with Debian because it is powered down.[/QUOTE'] FWIW, I broke out the 'Signal' GPIOs to a little sysfs interface in my fork of the WMT kernel source. The README has instructions on how to power up the wifi, the camera is probably similar so you could compile one of these kernels and give it a shot easily from userspace, then add it to the Android init.rc.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Tim - I sent you an email. Thanks.All - the device Tim and I have is an E11 and I have a version of the firmware that allows the device to boot and function - although it's still not quite right. Issues found so far: defaults to Chinese (yes, not really an issue if you're Chinese!); touch screen is reversed. I'm going to try and tidy this firmware up so that it creates US English by default and has the right touchcal. That way I can always get back to a known good configuration. It's a big step forward - the device is now semi-usable again! :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
projectgusThanks for the tip. I will check it out. I've read about your WMT kernel work. Sounded like you where doing some great work. Had planed to check it out in depth but wanted to get a little more comfortable with slates before jumped into custom kernels. But now I think I will start taking a good hard look.Thanks again

·
Registered
291 Posts
projectgus;29681]Command to convert said:
projectgus's kernel_wm8505 at wm8505_2.6.29 - GitHub[/url] (You can read it all down the bottom of the page.)Also FWIW, if you really want to get involved then I strongly recommend hooking in a serial cable to your tablet. So many problems become obvious once you can look at the serial console.
I am trying to make a custom uboot script for my m002 to avoid completely erasing the nand, but this does not work for me. I have tried running it this way and with -C gzip because when I checked the headers of the delivered scriptcmd file it said it had gzip compression. I am working in Ubuntu Lucid 32-bit. Any tips would be great.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hello everybody,I am using debian by jacob on my tablet, I am not able to make flash work with any of the browsers I installed, Midori, Iceweasel, Epiphany, even if the flashplugin is in the plugin directory it always ask me to download a new plugin and when I click for downloading nothing happens. Is there anybody who made it work on the Eken debian by jacob?Thanks,Damianitalian

·
Registered
38 Posts
Thank you Imayoda,for reference to others:I installed gnash and gnash plugin and flash websites are displayed ok. Movies on Youtube are displayed but almost frozen, Iceweasel shows one or two frames. In order to let the MID play youtube movies I switched to HTML5 and I also installed gstreamer0.10-plugins-good, Midori plays the HTML5, but still very slow. Should I install debian in the flash instead of running it on the SD card? Or should I give up totally and buy a more performing PAD with better processor than the WM8505?

·
Registered
384 Posts
My pleasure :)Unfortunately gnash runs slow flash vector videos because off the odd processor.. if you want at least 480p smooth playback point at least at an ARMv7 Cortex processor with at least 800-1000Mhz tablet.. they are inbounding market right now

41 - 60 of 63 Posts