Android Tablets Forum banner
21 - 40 of 63 Posts
Looks like the image failed to copy to the sdcard completely. Did you run 'sync' after writing to the card? First I would suggest rewriting the image. I got a similar error one time when the image failed to finish writing to the card.Tonight I will download the dropbox image, write it to an sdcard image, and try it myself to make sure it boots correctly and that the wifi works ok. Then we'll know for sure that there is nothing wrong with the image.

I downloaded the dropbox image and the MD5 matches my original, so the file is ok. Still, there is clearly some problem writing the flash, so what I will do is package the files and you can partition the flashcard yourself, then copy the files. I'll post the files and instructions in a couple hours. I'm confident it will solve your problem.

ok, here it is: http://www.jacobstoner.com/debian-m001-v0.3.zip.torrentThis is the v0.3 build, no changes. This provides a different way of preparing the sdcard. Instructions are included. Instead of packaging a complete image I have packaged the files, so you do the partitioning manually. IMHO the image method is easier, but this one should be much more reliable for anyone who has been having trouble getting the image onto the sdcard. Let me know how it works out.WARNING: This is an alternate distribution of v0.3, you should only attempt this if you were unable to write the regular image. It's more difficult than just writing the image.

First of all, I recommend using the original sdcard image rather than the alternate install. It's much easier and you can even use windows to write it. The one with steps is only for people who have trouble writing the sdcard. I don't think you had trouble with that. Download this one instead:http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6374682/debian-m001-v0.3.img.bz2You can write it using the same method that you used to write v0.2For reference, here are answers to your questions:It's very similar to the procedure here: Eken M001 DebianYou must be using Linux to prepare the sdcard. I recommend Ubuntu.Yes, the new ext2 partition must be prepared on the sdcard before you can copy files to it.You type the commands in the terminal, but the new partitions must be mounted first. If you're using Ubuntu you can just unplug and replug the card after creating and formatting the new partitions.

damianitalian, you should just be able to use our image. What kind of slate are you using?vasya, I'm glad you got it working! The battery indicator shouldn't be hard to add at all. Be sure to post the steps if you do it. The symbols are all there when you press shift.

vasya, the compiler is left out for size, but this is Debian, just run "apt-get install build-essential"You should be able to find almost anything you want in the debian repos, no need to compile. (compiling on this thing takes FOREVER)damianitalian, I am really curious what is the name of your device. There are two things you can do to fix the touchscreen:1. Copy touchcal over from android2. You can adjust the evdev settings in /etc/X11/xorg.conf Option "InvertX" "Bool" Option "InvertY" "Bool" evdev documentation: EVDEV(4) manual page

Vasya, I booted Debian, the second time I booted it stopped saying fsck died with exit status 4... give root password for maintenance.Jacob, thank you for your advice, I'll try when I'll be able to boot again. About my device is a MID 70003, internally it has a WM8505 while outside the case says VIA ARM 926 (I am not an expert about processors maybe they are the same????).Anyways I need a stable minimal Linux able to launch a browser full screen (kiosk mode) on a specific url at startup.

damianitalian, take a look at /root/.xinitrcvasya, try VLC; but I must warn that video may not work very will since we are using an unaccelerated framebuffer driver. With some effort maybe someone could find the proper accelerated driver for our hardware.

I am in the process of bringing up Jacob's eken debian on a generic slate.The slate has WM8505 processor with 256mb ram and 2gb flash. It has a camera and a dongle with 2 full size usb ports and an rj45 ethernet connector. The wifi chip is a RT2870STA. When it boots up in the android splash screen it says "How do you slate? <SkateDroid.com> V1.7.4." The linux kernel version for android boot is 2.6.29-00236-g4f8dbbb-dirty." Same version number as eken debian v3 it seenm. I have managed get the slate to boot with version 3 of the jacob debian. However, I still have a couple of issues to resolve.Neither wifi nor ethernet work. When I do a ifconfig the command shows no devices. A iwconfig shows lo, tun10 and gre0 but not ra0 or any orher wifi device. The start up screen messages in debian shows a RT2870 usb driver being loaded and dhcp client starting but no other network info. I see no messages in /var/log/dmesg related to network start up. Right now the dmesg file cuts off at about 16kb, I need to figure out how to make this log file larger so I can capture the full boot. I also have the classic upside down touch screen behavior. I have search through etc and all other directories I can on the android side with "adb shell" and can't seem to find a touchcal file or any other touch screen information. I put - option "Inverx" "True" - in the touch screen section of xorg.conf and the touch screen works correct with the stock touchcal being close enough to use the keypad with a stylus. The bad news when I do this, the mouse is now upside down. On the plus side the touch screen seem a lot more responsive in debian then android. I am currently searching around the net to try to find some info on the format of the touchcal file and try swapping things around.Also while the device has 256mb of memory debian only sees 112mb. I assume that has to do with the 112mb limit set in scriptcmd file. I will play with this once I get networking and touch out of the way.Any thoughts on the wifi, ethernet or touch screen would be most helpful.Thank you for all the hardwork you have been put in to the eken debian. Any thoughts on the ethernet,

21 - 40 of 63 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.