Android Tablets Forum banner
181 - 200 of 235 Posts

·
Developer
427 Posts
I managed to install this over my ug802.
Btw, anybody know if I can configure to compensate the width/height of the output?
My TV can't do 1:1 pixel mapping and overscan the whole display. So I can't see the outermost part of the screen.
Yes, the RK3066 HDMI output has a scaler which you can program for xscale and yscale in the kernel, it is accessible in /sys/<something>/hdmi.
By default I have set it up for xscale=100, yscale=100 so we get perfect output on an HDMI 1920x1080 LCD monitor. For a TV that overscans you'll want to adjust this to 95 or less in both xscale and yscale.
Let me check it out and I'll edit this post with the correct path.
But the answer is yes: you can fix the display for your TV.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I am trying to flash my MK802-III. I updated it to the latest rikomagic firmware (1130) and it has already been rooted. I installed SuperUser from Google Play.
Now in Android/settings/USB, I checked the "Connect to PC" option, and in "Developer Options" I checked "USB debugging".
Then I connect the tv box to my laptop. I use "adb devices", but it shows nothing.
Where can the problem be?

Thanks.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Yes, the RK3066 HDMI output has a scaler which you can program for xscale and yscale in the kernel, it is accessible in /sys/<something>/hdmi.
By default I have set it up for xscale=100, yscale=100 so we get perfect output on an HDMI 1920x1080 LCD monitor. For a TV that overscans you'll want to adjust this to 95 or less in both xscale and yscale.
Let me check it out and I'll edit this post with the correct path.
But the answer is yes: you can fix the display for your TV.
Uh. It seems that it's part of the kernel source code (referring to your own post here):
http://www.armtvtech.com/armtvtechforum/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=212&start=180#p2631

So I have to change the parameter and recompile the kernel? Not part of config file?

·
Developer
427 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi,

Just want to report that I have an issue with USB Ethernet dongle that also has USB hub integrated. The Ethernet chip is using 'MOSCHIP usb-ethernet driver' and I can see the interface showing as usbnet0 but it does not get an [email protected] I guess the driver may have some issue with that dongle. The dongle does work well with another Allwinner A10 ICS stick (MK802). But on MK802III even under Android it's does not work.

So I use another Belkin USB to ethernet and that one works OK. However when I ssh to the stick if I leave the terminal untouched for a while and type a command, it hangs with first char showing and then after 20 secs gets unbloked. Seems like something needs time to wake-up.

In dmseg I can see many of these :

[ 6072.406364] DWC_OTG: hc_xfer_timeout: timeout on channel 13
[ 6072.406408] DWC_OTG: start_hcchar_val 0x02589200
[ 6102.066391] DWC_OTG: hc_xfer_timeout: timeout on channel 9
[ 6102.066435] DWC_OTG: start_hcchar_val 0x02589200
[ 6140.986381] DWC_OTG: hc_xfer_timeout: timeout on channel 7
[ 6140.986427] DWC_OTG: start_hcchar_val 0x02589200

Not sure if related to this.

·
Developer
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #186 ·
Hi Makoy,
Thanks, that's an excellent bug report. I agree with you that there is sometimes a timeout before something wakes up. I'll look into it, as I have similar timeout messages with another USB Ethernet dongle I have here.

·
Registered
5 Posts
@makoy and @ andrew

i also bought an ethernet/usb-hub combo and searched for probable issues with linux and stubled across this topic:

http://www.armtvtech.com/armtvtechforum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=675

there it is said that it's just a driver issue which need to be compiled for linux...

would be awesome if someone with knowledge (so def. not me
) could have a look at that

cheers

ps: again @ andrew
where can we donate something for your awesome work?

·
Registered
784 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
If any of you guys that own a Neo X5 can post the output of the dmesg command as an attachment here, I can check and prepare a compatible kernel for Alpha 0.4.
Requires a rooted Neo X5:
  • First reboot, then
  • using a terminal emulator, type
  • su
  • dmesg > /mnt/sdcard/dmesg.txt

And post the dmesg.txt file as an attachment here.
Mate I can't get this f*cking thing rooted. Im about ready to smash my minix x5 to bits. Can't do anything i was with it. I'm gonna revert back to original fw ans I update to 4.1.1 beta. Thing is I need to wait for minix to post the original firmware. Then Ill have another go at rooting. I tried running oneclick, it said it was successful but i ran a checker and it says it aint. The SU command in the terminal says access denied! so im sure it aint rooted!! God why did i bother buying this piece of *oops. I could be playing Black ops right now lol

·
Developer
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #193 ·
Can I try it on my latest rk3066 tablet with 9.7" Retina display or it is for Android TV-stick only?
Just can't stand Android on it.
Versions that are compatible with RK3066 tablets are planned for future releases during the Alpha cycle. Ubuntu Linux on a Retina display tablet certainly sounds cool!

The first RK3066 tablet on which I am working is the humble, simple, inexpensive Pipo S1, because it's also a great development platform!

We'll see about a Retina display tablet. Certainly if a reseller would sponsor our development team with one or two sample tablets, things would likely move a lot faster.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hello Alok,

I am using a C-Media usb audio adapter. I cannot get it to work. I followed some instructions to set alsa-base.conf.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=12383616
The sound always comes from HDMI when testing using aplay or festival. Could you please tell me how to setup the usb audio adapter.

This is what I found:

Code:
<br />
<br />
[email protected]:~$ lsusb<br />
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub<br />
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub<br />
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 05e3:0608 Genesys Logic, Inc. USB-2.0 4-Port HUB<br />
Bus 002 Device 003: ID 148f:5370 Ralink Technology, Corp. RT5370 Wireless Adapter<br />
Bus 002 Device 004: ID 0d8c:000c C-Media Electronics, Inc. Audio Adapter<br />
<br />
[email protected]:~$ sudo modprobe snd_usb_audio<br />
<br />
[email protected]:~$ lsmod<br />
Module                  Size  Used by<br />
cpufreq_ondemand        5734  1<br />
rt2800usb              11415  0<br />
rt2800lib              35198  1 rt2800usb<br />
rt2x00usb               7262  1 rt2800usb<br />
rt2x00lib              28546  3 rt2800usb,rt2800lib,rt2x00usb<br />
rfcomm                 29856  0<br />
bnep                    8944  2<br />
bluetooth             128963  10 bnep,rfcomm<br />
<br />
[email protected]:~$ aplay -l<br />
aplay: device_list:252: no soundcards found...<br />
<br />
[email protected]:~$ cat /proc/asound/cards<br />
 0 [HDMI           ]:  - ROCKCHIP HDMI<br />
                      ROCKCHIP HDMI<br />
 3 [Set            ]: USB-Audio - C-Media USB Headphone Set<br />
                      C-Media USB Headphone Set at usb-usb20_host-1.3, full speed<br />
					  <br />
					<br />
[email protected]:~$ cat /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf<br />
# autoloader aliases<br />
install sound-slot-0 /sbin/modprobe snd-card-0<br />
install sound-slot-1 /sbin/modprobe snd-card-1<br />
install sound-slot-2 /sbin/modprobe snd-card-2<br />
install sound-slot-3 /sbin/modprobe snd-card-3<br />
install sound-slot-4 /sbin/modprobe snd-card-4<br />
install sound-slot-5 /sbin/modprobe snd-card-5<br />
install sound-slot-6 /sbin/modprobe snd-card-6<br />
install sound-slot-7 /sbin/modprobe snd-card-7<br />
<br />
# Cause optional modules to be loaded above generic modules<br />
install snd /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd $CMDLINE_OPTS && { /sbin/modprobe --quiet --use-blacklist snd-ioctl32 ; /sbin/modprobe --quiet --use-blacklist snd-seq ; }<br />
#<br />
# Workaround at bug #499695 (reverted in Ubuntu see LP #319505)<br />
install snd-pcm /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-pcm $CMDLINE_OPTS && { /sbin/modprobe --quiet --use-blacklist snd-pcm-oss ; : ; }<br />
install snd-mixer /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-mixer $CMDLINE_OPTS && { /sbin/modprobe --quiet --use-blacklist snd-mixer-oss ; : ; }<br />
install snd-seq /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-seq $CMDLINE_OPTS && { /sbin/modprobe --quiet --use-blacklist snd-seq-midi ; /sbin/modprobe --quiet --use-blacklist snd-seq-oss ; : ; }<br />
#<br />
install snd-rawmidi /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-rawmidi $CMDLINE_OPTS && { /sbin/modprobe --quiet --use-blacklist snd-seq-midi ; : ; }<br />
# Cause optional modules to be loaded above sound card driver modules<br />
install snd-emu10k1 /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-emu10k1 $CMDLINE_OPTS && { /sbin/modprobe --quiet --use-blacklist snd-emu10k1-synth ; }<br />
install snd-via82xx /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-via82xx $CMDLINE_OPTS && { /sbin/modprobe --quiet --use-blacklist snd-seq ; }<br />
<br />
# Load saa7134-alsa instead of saa7134 (which gets dragged in by it anyway)<br />
install saa7134 /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install saa7134 $CMDLINE_OPTS && { /sbin/modprobe --quiet --use-blacklist saa7134-alsa ; : ; }<br />
# Prevent abnormal drivers from grabbing index 0<br />
options bt87x index=-2<br />
options cx88_alsa index=-2<br />
options saa7134-alsa index=-2<br />
options snd-atiixp-modem index=-2<br />
options snd-intel8x0m index=-2<br />
options snd-via82xx-modem index=-2<br />
#options snd-usb-audio index=-2<br />
options snd-usb-caiaq index=-2<br />
options snd-usb-ua101 index=-2<br />
options snd-usb-us122l index=-2<br />
options snd-usb-usx2y index=-2<br />
# Ubuntu #62691, enable MPU for snd-cmipci<br />
options snd-cmipci mpu_port=0x330 fm_port=0x388<br />
# Keep snd-pcsp from being loaded as first soundcard<br />
options snd-pcsp index=-2<br />
# Keep snd-usb-audio from beeing loaded as first soundcard<br />
options snd-usb-audio index=3<br />
<br />
Best regards,
aruangra

Comprehensive issues report - What works and what does not

Tested on: UG802/III and MK808 and Sain Smart 808 (similar to MK808)

Works
Hardware
1. USB Webcam (Logitech 525HD) working - with 'Cheese'
. (Not working with VLC.)

2. HDMI sound working...nicely.

3. Ethernet dongle working.
4. USB hubs, new one works (1:7 1:4). (Some old usb hubs did not work - no logical explanation, even for friends, when they changed the hub - most of their problems went away). These same hubs work very well, if connected AFTER proper boot.
5. External HDD on USB (2.0) works - tested for upto 2TB
6. USB Sound Audio - Works - both for mic and speaker. ($2 worth - quantum (any i guess) brand
Others
1. SMB is working - post installation of 'cifs-utils'

2. gimp/ufraw working cool...
3. moved the log, tmp, run, to RAM - Works
4. P2P client Transmission works
- speeds upto 3mbps (my isp limit).
5. Swap is not there in the original scheme of things, but works, if configured.
6. Apache2, php5, mysql, phpmyadmin, sendmail - work.
7. Video player works - Totem movie player works - HD video stutters and takes CPU to 90% utilisation levels... but normal avi works nice. Screen shots on page 7.
8. Gnome desktop and other g-apps working.

Not works
1. Ofcourse internal WiFi.
1. xbmc, vlc and other video players do not work.
2. Adobe flash does not work - and does not get installed on firefox, or chromium. = Gnash not yet the best alternative.
3. Skype also does not work
4. Virtualbox Not working (Its bacause, it directly uses the x86 hardware achitecture to virtualize, something that is not portable on Arm, so we have to wait for a long time, before someone makes a virtualisation engine using arm architecture) - Read more here.... You can use Qemu, but my experience of Qemu is that it is unusably slow.
5. Wine - Not working for the same reasons above.

Oh and here is the screen shot.... the torrent file downloading is for test purposes only - to demonstrate capability.

Alok

·
Developer
247 Posts
Hello Alok,

I am using a C-Media usb audio adapter. I cannot get it to work. I followed some instructions to set alsa-base.conf.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=12383616
The sound always comes from HDMI when testing using aplay or festival. Could you please tell me how to setup the usb audio adapter.

Best regards,
Anat
You do not need to (yet) do things as suggested in the referred forum.
To begin with.
- Open the /var/log/syslog and check the log entries corresponding to the device.
You should get something like this. (ofcourse for you, the details may be diff)
Code:
Dec  5 08:32:53 rk3066dev kernel: [37737.507008] usb 2-1.4.2: new full speed USB device number 7 using usb20_host<br />
Dec  5 08:32:53 rk3066dev kernel: [37737.608356] usb 2-1.4.2: New USB device found, idVendor=0d8c, idProduct=000e<br />
Dec  5 08:32:53 rk3066dev kernel: [37737.608371] usb 2-1.4.2: New USB device strings: Mfr=0, Product=1, SerialNumber=0<br />
Dec  5 08:32:53 rk3066dev kernel: [37737.608383] usb 2-1.4.2: Product: Generic USB Audio Device   <br />
Dec  5 08:32:53 rk3066dev mtp-probe: checking bus 2, device 7: "/sys/devices/platform/usb20_host/usb2/2-1/2-1.4/2-1.4.2"<br />
Dec  5 08:32:53 rk3066dev mtp-probe: bus: 2, device: 7 was not an MTP device<br />
Dec  5 08:32:54 rk3066dev rtkit-daemon[1492]: Successfully made thread 18183 of process 1490 (n/a) owned by '1000' RT at priority 5.<br />
Dec  5 08:32:54 rk3066dev rtkit-daemon[1492]: Supervising 3 threads of 1 processes of 1 users.<br />
Dec  5 08:32:54 rk3066dev rtkit-daemon[1492]: Successfully made thread 18184 of process 1490 (n/a) owned by '1000' RT at priority 5.<br />
Dec  5 08:32:54 rk3066dev rtkit-daemon[1492]: Supervising 4 threads of 1 processes of 1 users.<br />
- check if the suitable mod is loaded or not.
- run alsa-mixer, select the usbaudio using F6, make sure, the volume is turn
- use pulseaudio mixer to switch OFF hdmi and leave only USBhub
- aplay /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Center.wav

You should hear Front center.

Alok

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hi Alok,

alsamixer is not available. Please see below. How did you get alsamixer to work?

Code:
<br />
<br />
[email protected]:~$ sudo apt-get install alsa-utils<br />
Reading package lists... Done<br />
Building dependency tree<br />
Reading state information... Done<br />
alsa-utils is already the newest version.<br />
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:<br />
  libclutter-1.0-0 libclutter-1.0-common libclutter-gtk-1.0-0 libcogl-common<br />
  libcogl-pango0 libcogl9 libpci3 usbutils<br />
Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.<br />
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.<br />
<br />
<br />
[email protected]:~$<br />
[email protected]:~$ alsamixer<br />
cannot open mixer: No such file or directory<br />
<br />

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hi Alok,

I just found that alsamixer and aplay must be run as root. But I got errors when running pulseaudio. So I got stuck at
Please advice.

Code:
<br />
<br />
[email protected]:~$ sudo alsamixer<br />
<br />
[email protected]:~$ sudo pulseaudio<br />
W: [pulseaudio] main.c: This program is not intended to be run as root (unless --system is specified).<br />
E: [pulseaudio] core-util.c: Home directory /home/ubuntu not ours.<br />
<br />
[email protected]:~$ pulseaudio<br />
E: [pulseaudio] module-console-kit.c: GetSessionsForUnixUser() call failed: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.Spawn.ExecFailed: Failed to execute program /usr/lib/dbus-1.0/dbus-daemon-launch-helper: Success<br />
E: [pulseaudio] module.c: Failed to load module "module-console-kit" (argument: ""): initialization failed.<br />
E: [pulseaudio] main.c: Module load failed.<br />
E: [pulseaudio] main.c: Failed to initialize daemon.<br />
<br />

·
Developer
247 Posts
Hi Alok,

I just found that alsamixer and aplay must be run as root. But I got errors when running pulseaudio. So I got stuck at
Please advice.

Code:
<br />
<br />
[email protected]:~$ sudo alsamixer<br />
<br />
[email protected]:~$ sudo pulseaudio<br />
W: [pulseaudio] main.c: This program is not intended to be run as root (unless --system is specified).<br />
E: [pulseaudio] core-util.c: Home directory /home/ubuntu not ours.<br />
<br />
[email protected]:~$ pulseaudio<br />
E: [pulseaudio] module-console-kit.c: GetSessionsForUnixUser() call failed: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.Spawn.ExecFailed: Failed to execute program /usr/lib/dbus-1.0/dbus-daemon-launch-helper: Success<br />
E: [pulseaudio] module.c: Failed to load module "module-console-kit" (argument: ""): initialization failed.<br />
E: [pulseaudio] main.c: Module load failed.<br />
E: [pulseaudio] main.c: Failed to initialize daemon.<br />
<br />
Use the GUI version.... of pulseaudio....

Alok

·
Registered
5 Posts
Mate I can't get this f*cking thing rooted. Im about ready to smash my minix x5 to bits. Can't do anything i was with it. I'm gonna revert back to original fw ans I update to 4.1.1 beta. Thing is I need to wait for minix to post the original firmware. Then Ill have another go at rooting. I tried running oneclick, it said it was successful but i ran a checker and it says it aint. The SU command in the terminal says access denied! so im sure it aint rooted!! God why did i bother buying this piece of *oops. I could be playing Black ops right now lol
I feel your pain. I just spent the entire day trying to root my neo x5 and I eventually got it right using Motorobo and some bloody-minded determination.

So if you get a gap AndrewDB could you please check out the results of the dmesg https://gist.github.com/4216228 and let us know what we can do to help.

Cheers

181 - 200 of 235 Posts