Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
cat apns-conf.xml<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?><apns version="6"> <apn carrier="Android" mcc="310" mnc="995" apn="internet" user="*" server="*" password="*" mmsc="null" /> <apn carrier="TelKila" mcc="310" mnc="260" apn="internet" user="*" server="*" password="*" mmsc="null" /></apns>
Now if I understand APNs that may mean we are being routed. That could explain why maketplace and talk are not working.e_t

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Although inconclusive, I removed the file. Network access is normal. Web page loading seems a bit faster, but that could any number of other variables.e_t

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
faaascinating. keep us posted. Nate? Meth? thoughts?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well that seems to be a dead end, maybe just a vestigial file that should not be there. My trace route is the same with or without the file. However, I will not pretend to know enough about APNs to say for certain. I would assume if our traffic were being routed, the trace route should be different. It matches my trace route from my pc.e_t

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Further digging.
cat default.prop## ADDITIONAL_DEFAULT_PROPERTIES#ro.secure=0ro.allow.mock.location=1ro.debuggable=1persist.service.adb.enable=1
The line that interests me is the "mock.location"A quick google search seems to indicate that this is usually set to 0. However I am unable to adjust this setting. Any thing in the root of the system is read-only.e_t

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
any chance this is the reason google appmarket doesn't work?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I went down this path today. Does not work. I did the
Code:
setprop gsm.sim.operator.numeric 310260setprop gsm.operator.numeric 310260setprop gsm.sim.operator.iso-country ussetprop gsm.operator.iso-country ussetprop gsm.operator.alpha T-Mobilesetprop gsm.sim.operator.alpha T-Mobile
To get the Novel to think it is a celluar device.and it still fails on downloads.Here is a much long list if you want to continue to look into APNs.Have fun:http://code.google.com/p/cyanogenmod/wiki/APNlist

·
Registered
18 Posts
remount the file system as rwI don't think you're understanding the purpose of the APN. It is for celluar data, it is the Access Point Name for the device to use for data traffic when you're not using WIFI.
edit_text;18111 said:
Further digging.The line that interests me is the "mock.location"A quick google search seems to indicate that this is usually set to 0. However I am unable to adjust this setting. Any thing in the root of the system is read-only.e_t

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
lawman;18112 said:
any chance this is the reason google appmarket doesn't work?
I really do think that the market is failing due to something in the network configuration. Otherwise this would not be worth looking into. I do at least feel vindicated that I am not the only one to think so.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
[quote name='ver2go;18116]remount the file system as rwI don't think you're understanding the purpose of the APN. It is for celluar data' date=' it is the Access Point Name for the device to use for data traffic when you're not using WIFI.[/QUOTE'] I do get that. Even after remounting the file system it cannot be changed. I cannot even chmod the file.e_t

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
We have identified the enemy...

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
We have identified the enemy....

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Using "mount -o rw,remount -t rootfs / /" I was able to remount the root file system. However, as I thought, that file system is over written at boot. (i.e. ramdisk)e_t

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Anyone can feel free to correct me, because I'm kind of winging it here:There's a very well-known process for adding "Google Experience" to devices, and it is pretty much what you see in that package. Mostly system/app, and a few frameworks and permissions. Unfortunately, the sources I used are 2.1. We're on 2.0, and 2.0 was extremely short-lived in terms of being on actual devices. The only one that really comes to mind is the Moto Droid/Milestone, and that was quickly upgraded to 2.0.1 and then 2.1 shortly thereafter. I couldn't find any de-odexed sources from the Droid or the Milestone. I never owned one, but it appears that the modding scene either waited for 2.1 or just didn't get rolling until then. (Maybe someone here owned one and was paying more attention/remembers history better?)I don't have mine up and running at the moment, but the issue kicked off was that Market apk tried to force the device to SSL, and then it failed. (something along the lines of "bad/malformed request"). So we either have some configuration issue that is blocking SSL, or we have binary incompatabilities due to using a mashup of 2.0 and 2.1. Unfortunately, we don't have source, so we're stuck at 2.0 for now.As an example of where 2.0 stands, go take a look at the Android SDK. 2.0 and 2.0.1 are both marked as obsolete, whereas 1.6 and even 1.5 are still considered valid (along with 2.1 and 2.2 of course). The message is loud and clear: "Don't use 2.0!!" :)Anyways, my 2 cents.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts