Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have called Pandigital the last couple of days and was informed that a new firmware should be posted tonight or tomorrow. Now I understand they could have said anything to get me off the phone but thought I would share.Still hoping for someone to figure out how to root it so we can make our own.

·
Registered
52 Posts
lunchboxfett;8444 said:
I have called Pandigital the last couple of days and was informed that a new firmware should be posted tonight or tomorrow. Now I understand they could have said anything to get me off the phone but thought I would share.Still hoping for someone to figure out how to root it so we can make our own.
Rooted would be Awesome, but hopefully they will post firmware tonight or tomorrow that will make this thing more usable for now, just to hold us over until it does get rooted!!!

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
I'm getting a lot of use out of it. My girlfriend has threatened to murder me for it... literally (call the police). I've found that if you load the 05 FW and then connect to the network, shut down and load the 05 FW again, it actually somehow makes the thing work a little better. Gremlins, perhaps. No other logic for it. I'd like to have the accelerometer working.I should be getting two more... The real question is whether I should keep the white or trade it for a black:--> Anyone notice that the black seems to have one speaker in the back, rather than two on the bottom? Is that going to make it mono rather than stereo?

·
Registered
143 Posts
No...still the same firmware dated 6/7/2010. I am becoming more and more unimpressed with Pandigital over this new eBook reader. A complete market recall to update the devices that was supposed to takes 1-2 weeks max has already passed its third week and still no sign of new models, Kohl's lack of wanting to accept the 30% off and $15 rebate on the new devices when they come out...they're showing all of the typical signs of a crappy chinese company that only aims to make the device barely functional and to shoo away the customers by telling them lies. I've talked to Pandigital's support several times, and depending on the questions I've asked I've almost always gotten different responses. I've even had their CS tell me that nothing was wrong with the device when it was recalled and that they wanted to "make it even better" so that when they released it again more people would be interested in the device. I've had it with this company though, and I'm on my way to purchasing an Archos 7 HT. Their Android devices have been out on the market now for quite some time, have faster CPUs (from what I've read and seen on the internet anyway), have better support, and have a much larger online community dedicated to the tablets...it's almost a no-brainer. At least I still have my Aluratek Libre Pro to tide me over until I get a new device...5 inch e-ink screen with a TWENTY-FOUR hour battery life, 2GB of storage, and incredibly responsive.

G

·
Kinda losing it with Pandigital as well. I like the aspect ratio of the Novel over that of the Apad, but they really shot themselves in the foot. Obviously minimal field testing was done on the device. They released a complete bag of spanners and then had to recall the lot. Its a real pity because I felt it had the potential to fill a hole that the iPad is just too expensive to fill.I had an iPad, used it for 6 weeks and sold it. Out of the box it was pretty much useless. But once I started to put apps on it like Goodreader it really did start to do what I wanted. In the end it was a bit to big and too expensive for what I needed. I tried to buy an Apad but nightmare with Merimobiles and DealExtreme and because of the uncertainty with Pandigital I have ordered another iPad. I'll use it until a decent Android tablet comes along (thought the SmartQ v7 looked pretty good except for no auto rotation) then sell it. Actually thanks to this board it looks like I saved myself from a fate worse than death by not getting an Apad. Looks like it is a bit of a crap shoot with quality. Say what you like about the iPad but it works and it works very well indeed but so it should for 500 smackaroonies.The road to tablet nirvana is certainly bumpy at the minute but 6 months from now should be a different ball game.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Couldn't have said it better myself...the iPad is a great device if you are willing to part with the money for it. For just a device I only plan on reading books and do light internet surfing on I would never pay $500 though. It pains me that all of these Android tablets that are coming from over in China are of such bad quality and meager specifications. The idea of a $100 Android tablet is a great idea, but when it has a processor that can barely handle surfing the internet in today's time just won't cut it, especially considering everybody in the known Chinese world is outright lying about the processor speed in these devices. When someone finally roots this device and gets a good solid Android firmware running on the device that's decently responsive I might possibly rebuy the device, but right now as it stands Pandigital won't be seeing any of my money again any time soon.

G

·
I had a look at Pandigital's site earlier today just to see if they had released a ROM update. I noticed that Kohl's isn't on their list of Retail Partners. I was sure it was there when I looked last week..........Hmmmmm, wonder if Kohl's told them to poke it after the launch debacle? Anyone see a coffin with a hammer and few nails lying beside it :)

·
Registered
89 Posts
bmurphr1;9117 said:
Kohl's lack of wanting to accept the 30% off and $15 rebate on the new devices when they come out...they're showing all of the typical signs of a crappy chinese company that only aims to make the device barely functional and to shoo away the customers by telling them lies.
I've had good CS from Kohl's in the past so I'm expecting they will honor their end of the bargain = sale price + 30% coupon. The $15 rebate is Pandigital's deal and I'm not thinking that will happen. Who knows... Not sure about the lies, all I have received as far as official communication around this device has been good CS from Kohl's and confusion from Pandigital CS.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I've had good luck with Kohl's raincheck service in the past as well, but according to Sheila who works for phone CS at Kohl's, she says that the stores will not be honoring the 30% off rainchecks since "they will be completely different devices." The lady offered me a 15% discount and a "reduced shipping rate" but I told her to take that shipping rate and shove it up her asshole. I also said that if my local Kohl's doesn't honor my 30% warranty that I would go to JC Penney and purchase my additional Novels there, even if it cost double what Kohl's wants just because they practice such shitty business. Mind you, I did lose my temper pretty bad on the phone last night which I should not have...but that just tweaked me the wrong way. It makes me wonder if Kohl's is just waiting until 30 days has passed until they ship the repaired units out so they can use the excuse that the raincheck is not valid after 30 days from the date it was issued. If what Sheila from Kohl's CS says is true, then not only will I quit doing business with them but I will cancel my Kohl's credit line and tell all my friends to avoid them like the plague.

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
[quote name='bmurphr1;9195]I've had good luck with Kohl's raincheck service in the past as well' date=' but according to Sheila who works for phone CS at Kohl's, she says that the stores will not be honoring the 30% off rainchecks since "they will be completely different devices." The lady offered me a 15% discount and a "reduced shipping rate" but I told her to take that shipping rate and shove it up her asshole. I also said that if my local Kohl's doesn't honor my 30% warranty that I would go to JC Penney and purchase my additional Novels there, even if it cost double what Kohl's wants just because they practice such shitty business. Mind you, I did lose my temper pretty bad on the phone last night which I should not have...but that just tweaked me the wrong way. It makes me wonder if Kohl's is just waiting until 30 days has passed until they ship the repaired units out so they can use the excuse that the raincheck is not valid after 30 days from the date it was issued. If what Sheila from Kohl's CS says is true, then not only will I quit doing business with them but I will cancel my Kohl's credit line and tell all my friends to avoid them like the plague.[/QUOTE']Pandigital has told me that the black is on the horizon, but is not being shipped soon. It is unlikely the black is what kohl's will be getting. Ignore Sheila from CS.

·
Registered
30 Posts
This was posted on a facebook group on Monday... sounds like bs to me though...
JUST SPOKE WITH PANDIGITAL...I think they are finally getting their story straightened out.Apparently the firmware update is now in the hands of Android and they are giving it the final stamp of approval (or not)...ETA of release - not knownThe white 1GB version of the Novel is still being released but Kohl's is gett...ing the black version 2GB version with a stylus (I think) for those people with rainchecks and returns as an apology for the mix up and wait. So hold on to those rainchecks....ETA - not knownHopefully in the end it'll have been worth the confusion, aggravation and wait!Also - Pandigital took my email address and they plan on sending out a blanket email when the Novel is released.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I don't think Android (Google) has anything to approve. I have just about given up on this thing. It just sits in my office now. I opted to buy a Nook and love it.I wonder if I can wait until the black 2GB one comes out and then exchange it for that model.

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
lmk how that goes - stuck at work and working late.

·
Premium Member
2,596 Posts
in the download section now

·
Registered
30 Posts
They added Abobe ebooks, enabled the accelerometer, and put a cancel option when turning off the reader. I really wish they'd have install/upgrade notes to tell people what else they've changed.

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
meth;14340 said:
enabled the accelerometer
scoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooore!!!!!

·
Registered
52 Posts
I still had to do a second hard reset to get the touch screen to respond correctly.The screen is noticeably more responsive. I don't have to press+hold+wait anymore. Just tapping the screen is enough. Response is still a little on the slow side, though.They fixed the Wifi. It also seems to be faster at connecting to a hotspot. Load time on the browser is reasonably fast. The Reader and Library are still slow at turning the page, though, and you still have to swipe.The accelerometer works now (all 4 directions). It works the automatically in both the Reader and the web browser. Browsing in landscape mode is quite pleasant. It's not so nice to read in landscape mode because you only have the one column of text (it's too wide). Also, it doesn't reformat the text automatically when switching from portrait to landscape mode. You have to put it in suspend mode and then turn it back on.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts