Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a couple years hiatus from school, I've decided to finish my master's degree and start my doctorate. Since I'm doing a distance learning program, a good portion of the required readings for my courses will be scanned .pdf documents on reserve at the library website. I would really like to pick up an Android slate to tinker with. The main uses would be reading PDF files, listening to music, and web browsing. Any sort of productivity apps would be a plus. Of course, I wouldn't mind to hack it to expand its capabilities.I've been looking at the M7003 because of price, the Apad (or WiiPad slim) w/ Rockchip and DSP for performance, and the new Wiipad Neno because it just looks awesome.There is so much--and somewhat contradictory--information out there about the different Android slates. I don't have any experience with the Android OS, but I'm fairly technically proficient and I don't mind rolling up my sleeves and following directions. Since this looks like the definitive forum with a lot of experienced users, I thought I would put my question to the experts. If you were picking up a new slate, which one would you choose? Why? If you own one that you love, I certainly like to hear that too. And most importantly, where should I purchase from? My budget is currently around $300 max. And no, I don't want an iPad...lol.I look forward to your recommendations and becoming part of the slatedroid community.Wes

·
Premium Member
2,596 Posts
Hello WesWell if I had a budget of 300 hundred I would probably go with Pandigital it is built to be a reader. also save your boo's and hisses. The nook its pretty good and price wise not a wallet busternow if you want a little more functionality and dont mind tinkering , the eken m003 because the screen is larger and I heard it makes a excellent reader but is moddable.Good luck in your research just something to think about

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Went out on a shopping trip yesterday and checked out the Nook (meh) and saw the Novel at Kohl's. It was $199, which is a little high considering I've read of people getting them for around $130. Bed Bath and Beyond has the novel for $169 ($149 after rebate). If I could get my hands on a 20% off coupon, I'd buy today if it's in stock.If I pick one up, I will hack it because I've heard the out of box performance is kind of bad. I hope Pandigital continues supporting this product and delivers on it's promise of Market access with a future firmware update. If I don't pick the Novel up, I will likely get a M003. I want a slate now, but I want to make sure that I make the best choice before I order.

·
Premium Member
2,596 Posts
to get he 20% percent off at the store (BBB) I think all you need to do is sign up for a email newsletters. and that's strange in Maryland they are selling for 169.00

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I registered on their email list, but still have not received my coupon. If I get the coupon today, I will go pick one up this afternoon if they have it in stock. I think the novel is my best bet right now. It is supported by a real company. And with some hacking, it'll do pretty much everything I need it to do. Does anyone know the processor and memory specs on the novel. I assume it's probably a lower end slate.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Stay away from the m70003 and any of the m001 m002 m003's all of these have a VIA WM8505 in them which is a 300mhz chip and has extremely poot performance, I have a M70003, I was looking yo get an APAD and was baited by an ebay seller and received the M70003 instead, it is slow and has a hard time doing anything with videos, the processor is so under powered it cannot even run a nintendo emulator decently.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Went ahead and picked up the Novel from BBB. It's charging right now and I plan on messing with it later this evening. Thanks for the suggestions. I am ready to start installing some extra programs. Where's a good place to pick up apks for devices that can't access the market?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Overall, I am impressed with the Novel. It's solid and the touchscreen is responsive. I also like the fact that it's from a U.S. company with support and a warranty. Even though I would not have hesitated to order a slate from a chinese dealer, I like knowing that my device will last at least the year of the warranty. I installed Pandahome and a few other apps to give it more functionality. Runs solid with a few hiccups like forced closings here and there. Nothing really bad, just a little wonky now and then. If Pandigital follows through on its plan to allow access to the market in future firmware updates, this little slate could develop an even larger cult following. To the average user, this looks like just another ebook reader. But with new apps from the market, this can really be a multi-use device. Pleased with my purchase and ready to continue trying out apps.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.