Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mike,Before the crash/burn/redesign, there were Pandigital Novel Apps and Pandigital Novel Accessories sub-threads in the Pandigital Novel Forum. Can you please get those back into the Pandigital Novel Android Tablet Discussion area?It seems to me that the main purpose of having dedicated device forums is to make it easy for users to get the information about the particular device that they are either using or are interested in. Having that dedicated PDN applications sub-forum made it very easy research, post and discuss what did and didn't work on the PDN. Without that, all the discussions on applications are scattered all over the place both here and in the generic apps section. The same applies with posts about PDN accessories. And frankly, I'm tired of wasting my time, bouncing all over the place looking for information that should be in the PDN area. The longer this goes on, more of these discussions are being intertwined in the General Discussion Threads and will be more difficult to find and weed out.Thanks!

·
Co-Founder
2,103 Posts
Over in the mod corner we agreed it would make more sense to post anything related to application support on a particular device in the general discussion board for that device. The reason behind this is that we were seeing the same sort of questions/problems across all devices, so putting them in a centralized place for all devices makes more sense as it negates the need to skip over the forum looking for a solution. In general there should be a single thread for each app, which is where you'd check first for any info on why it isn't working on your device etc. Most issues should be solved here as chances are there is already someone who has had the problem. Failing that the next place to go would be to create a thread in the device's general forum. Due to the fact the majority of problems should be solved in app discussion then only a relatively small number of threads make their way through to the device forum in turn making it easier to moderate and prevent repetition posts. We did think quite hard on this one and it seems to be working for most people, but we'd be willing to re-consider. Thing is, we want to keep a certain level of consistency across boards. Adding an Apps forum in aPad would mean we'd have to add one to every other device section too, which, if it's not need there, would be fairly pointless and present a bad image (ie. a completely empty forum/repeated posts).But like I said, depending on the number of people who have issues with this I'd be happy to see if we can't sort something that benefits everyone.Mike.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't quite understand what the problem is. Under Android Apps....1. You already have one sticky thread titled "Confirmed Applications (working + not-working)", which I find unhelpful, because there is no explanation of "what device" those apps are working on. Even if it did specify the device they were working on, there is no guarantee that they would work on the PDN. As an example, there are people running Skyfire 2.2.0 on other Android platforms but that version will NOT run on the PDN.2. You violated your own previous statement and rules of logic by placing another sticky thread in there titled "Best Apps for the aPad".So why is bringing back the PDN sub-threads such an issue? There was some good information in them. By keeping them in your archives, where they are totally unaccessible, you are benefiting no one. Which is not supposed to be the intent and purpose of this whole project, is it?

·
Co-Founder
2,103 Posts
[quote name='geebekazoo;26639]I don't quite understand what the problem is. Under Android Apps....1. You already have one sticky thread titled "Confirmed Applications (working + not-working)"' date=' which I find unhelpful, because there is no explanation of "what device" those apps are working on. Even if it did specify the device they were working on, there is no guarantee that they would work on the PDN. As an example, there are people running Skyfire 2.2.0 on other Android platforms but that version will NOT run on the PDN.2. You violated your own previous statement and rules of logic by placing another sticky thread in there titled "Best Apps for the aPad".So why is bringing back the PDN sub-threads such an issue? There was some good information in them. By keeping them in your archives, where they are totally unaccessible, you are benefiting no one. Which is not supposed to be the intent and purpose of this whole project, is it?[/QUOTE'] First of all please cut the aggressive approach you've taken to the situation, take into account that most of us here have full time jobs on top of running SlateDroid and it sure as hell isn't easy. The threads that you have referred to are straight out of the archives, in fact there are only actually two more threads left in Pandigital Apps remaining. Like I said, we are all very busy and it is going to take us a while to get everything organized as it should be, hence why (as you noted) there are multiple stickies which contradict the reasoning I gave. I can understand people may be slightly perturbed, especially given the amount of downtime you've had to put up with. But there's a line between expressing one's frustration, and being downright rude. I have made it quite clear that we're willing to come to a mutual agreement that benefits everyone, so I cannot understand the continued aggressive nature of your post.

·
Registered
361 Posts
[quote name='geebekazoo;27392]Sorry that you took offense' date=' Mike. None was meant. I'm just trying to make as strong an argument as I can for getting that data back, since I promised the guys in the PDN Forum that I would do so.[/QUOTE'] Yeah!!!! What kinda...... promiser...... person are you???My feeling is, as long as we know where to find stuff & it is platform specific as in apps that have been tested & work, I am OK. It was nice having PDN specific subdirectories, but if we had a link stickied that pointed us elsewhere in Slatedroid, I may be OK with that. I just hate change! I can deal with it, but I hate it!

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
I was in on the idea of having one combined app board, but it's proven a bit more convoluted than I expected. We could have a board with subheadings for the main devices, we could put things back under the specific devices, or we could do what was suggested above - "M001" for that device at the title of the thread, "PDN", WITS, Gentouch, etc.... It's a complicated issue, I guess.

·
Co-Founder
2,103 Posts
[quote name='geebekazoo;27392]Sorry that you took offense' date=' Mike. None was meant. I'm just trying to make as strong an argument as I can for getting that data back, since I promised the guys in the PDN Forum that I would do so.[/QUOTE']None taken, now let's see if we can get something sorted out to make everyone happy.So, our options are:[list type=decimal][*]Create an App sub-forum under each device[*]Add device suffixes to the existing App forum[*]Create device sub-forums in the App forum[/LIST]I quite like the idea of maybe having something like a "App Compatibility" sub-forum under each device section, then have a sticky to the main App forum for generalized discussion. How does that sound to you guys?And just to reiterate, we haven't lost any posts - they're all just either in the archives or general discussion waiting to be moved.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I favor: "2. Add device suffixes to the existing App forum".I think that it will afford more visibility to all the apps that are being used. If we see reference to an app being used on an aPad, it may spark interest to get it working on the PDN.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Just took another look at "Android Apps" subforum & thought that it would be difficult to find relevant apps, so I think that adding subforums for popular devices would be useful. The main body would be for apps in general & the sub forums would be for experiences with the particular devices. I still like the idea of keeping the visibility in the general forum rather that under PDN forum. Also, if all participants would standardize their subject language, we could better use the search feature to find PDN apps. Something like PDNapps prefix in the subject line.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Please accept my vote for 1 from the list below.So, our options are:1. Create an App sub-forum under each device2. Add device suffixes to the existing App forum3. Create device sub-forums in the App forum

·
Premium Member
2,338 Posts
Number One ... definitely. You got a toy, you're working your toy, you want to see what's working on your toy. These are mostly users looking to develop their toy, not a developer looking to make his app work on the most toys. Put the sub forum under/with the toys.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.