Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
FW Developer
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
AHHHHHHH!!!!!

OK, now that thats out of the way.....

I am trying to get my build environment set up so I can build froyo from AOSP source (I dont want to build CM6) but I cant seem to figure out what to do next. I have my mint box set up to the point that I have built 2.2.2_r1 for the emulator and its working fine.... now I want to get everything set up so I can build specifically for the GTab, but I cant really figure out what I need to do. I have already extracted all the required files from the (ewwww) stock ROM (ewwww) and I know there is some other setup I need to get done (other repos that need to be pulled down?) but I am lost. Seems that no one has taken the time to properly document how to do it for a froyo build. I want to do the best froyo ROM possible (Gtab Pure - coming... when I get this to work)... someone else can play with GB.

Help is appreciated.

Tim

·
Registered
193 Posts
AHHHHHHH!!!!!

OK, now that thats out of the way.....

I am trying to get my build environment set up so I can build froyo from AOSP source (I dont want to build CM6) but I cant seem to figure out what to do next. I have my mint box set up to the point that I have built 2.2.2_r1 for the emulator and its working fine.... now I want to get everything set up so I can build specifically for the GTab, but I cant really figure out what I need to do. I have already extracted all the required files from the (ewwww) stock ROM (ewwww) and I know there is some other setup I need to get done (other repos that need to be pulled down?) but I am lost. Seems that no one has taken the time to properly document how to do it for a froyo build. I want to do the best froyo ROM possible (Gtab Pure - coming... when I get this to work)... someone else can play with GB.

Help is appreciated.

Tim
I feel like an idiot even posting this because I am not knowledgeable in this area and please forgive me if what I post is stupid, but does the following link help at all assuming adjustments are made for Gtab source or is that basically the whole problem?

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=704561

This one might be even less useful... lol

http://www.android.net/forum/beginning-developers/58524-compile-aosp-source-semi-complete-guide-worked-me.html

·
FW Developer
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the try...

The second link is basically the hard way to do what the AOSP setup page walks you through (VIM....REALLY.... LOL)

The first link is cool, but it looks like it would be tough to adapt that script to the gtab (didnt look that closely, but may be promising...project for later)

I got my build to work properly on the first shot with the instructions from the AOSP page, I just need to figure out what else I need to do from that point to get going with a base build for the gtab. like I have a whole folder of proprietary libs hanging out here that I dont know what to do with... not to mention the kernels I want to try. maybe if I walk away from the computer for a while I will get it.

I even tried to get the cyanogenmod source earlier to look at how their smba_1002 section is set up, but I got connection errors during the sync and it failed out on me. oh well, I'll just have to keep playing with it till I get it working right.

Let me know if you happen across someone that my have posted some info I may have missed.

·
FW Developer
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update

I went digging through github at lunch, and I think I have an idea of what I need to do now. I had to dig through a bunch of useless junk to find some of what I was looking for. If I can get my AOSP project working, I will do a nice write up so that no one has to deal with what I am going through. I think that until the gtab completely disappears from the face of the earth, it will be a good idea to continue to develop the froyo platform since we have the best hardware support with this version. I understand that there are always going to be people that want the latest and greatest version of everything, but there are also the people that want the most stable experience possible.

·
FW Developer
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok... I am resurrecting My old lab thread so I can try to keep my documentation in the same place....

Here is where I am now....

I have stepped up to Froyo 2.2.3_r2.1 as a base and have successfully synced and built for the emulator. I am working on setting up my device folder and will try to keep this thread updated so that I can transfer any info to my website as I build it. I think documentation will be key here.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Did you check out the viewsonic gtab support page. If I remember right they released the source code for the 1.2 bootloader that may help with a few things.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Pixel Rider,

I know you've been busy but if you could post a step by step here on how to set-up for compiling Froyo for the gTablet I would appreciate it.

FW

1 - 8 of 8 Posts