Android Tablets Forum banner
61 - 80 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Guys,

I have finally gotten a sim card for the tablet and I can confirm that the 3G frequencies are:
HSPA/WCDMA: 2100/900MHz
GSM/GPRS/EDGE Quad band: 850/900/1800/1900
Download maximum 7.2Mbit/s
Upload maximum: 5.76Mbit/s

Which means that you only get 2G on the 850MHz band. For 3G you need 2100/900.

Unfortunately I can also confirm that the built in 3G on this tablet is extreemely poor. It constantly drops in and out and (for me at least) is almost unuseable. I went onver to the forum at the Pipo website and found another user complaining about the 3G as well.

There is also now a english user manual on the site.

Edit note: I may have jumped the gun here guys. Installing the latest firmware fixed my 3g problems. The 3g is working fine now.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Guys,

I have finally gotten a sim card for the tablet and I can confirm that the 3G frequencies are:
HSPA/WCDMA: 2100/900MHz
GSM/GPRS/EDGE Quad band: 850/900/1800/1900
Download maximum 7.2Mbit/s
Upload maximum: 5.76Mbit/s
Thank you Marty73 for this information.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I may have jumped the gun. I updated my firmware and the 3g is now working pretty good. Sorry guys
Thanks for the update. Had some people worried for a while in another forum!

Perhaps a little suggestion - it would be good if you include an edit note below your original post in case readers miss your subsequent update. Cheers

·
Registered
9 Posts
For those interested in getting the 3g version, pandawill.com has a sale tomorrow (9/5/2013) making the tablet run for $230 shipped.

http://www.pandawill.com/happy-hour/?current=thursday

I might pick one up myself tomorrow morning.
Looks like pandawill.com has the non-3G version in black for $232. While you checkout use the coupon code bargains4all and you get another $25 off. Just ordered mine right now.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi all:
new to the forum and semi new to Tablets!! I now have a new Pipo M7 and I am pretty pleased with it to date! But just had a couple of questions where I'm having some difficuty figuring it out. First I live in the US.

So I ordered this this thing with the built in 3G but I have no idea how that works. I'm fairly sure it doesn;t work much in the US but could be wrong. Since it is built in there is no SIM slot. Don't quite know why I did this but there you are!!

Secondly, I tried to navigate (i.e driving directions) but it keept giving me loading directions if WiFi is turned off. Now at the time, I didn't have it hooked up to my phone so then I used my phone and all was well. So presumably if GPS isonly active, you cannot get directions? GPS only i.e no network with give you position only.

Anyway really lke this tablet. The screen is pretty nice, construction seems solid, battery life seems acceptable, wifi strngth seems ok. i haven't compared it to my Samsung 4G as yet but it seems close. Later on today I will do a speed test since I have FIOS and be able to compare the two

Thanks everyone
Tim

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi all:
new to the forum and semi new to Tablets!! I now have a new Pipo M7 and I am pretty pleased with it to date! But just had a couple of questions where I'm having some difficuty figuring it out. First I live in the US.

So I ordered this this thing with the built in 3G but I have no idea how that works. I'm fairly sure it doesn;t work much in the US but could be wrong. Since it is built in there is no SIM slot. Don't quite know why I did this but there you are!!

Secondly, I tried to navigate (i.e driving directions) but it keept giving me loading directions if WiFi is turned off. Now at the time, I didn't have it hooked up to my phone so then I used my phone and all was well. So presumably if GPS isonly active, you cannot get directions? GPS only i.e no network with give you position only.

Anyway really lke this tablet. The screen is pretty nice, construction seems solid, battery life seems acceptable, wifi strngth seems ok. i haven't compared it to my Samsung 4G as yet but it seems close. Later on today I will do a speed test since I have FIOS and be able to compare the two

Thanks everyone
Tim
Hi Tim,

Firstly, congratulations on our new purchase. I'm afraid you have a few things wrong buddy. There is no such thing as "built in 3G" without a sim card slot. You need the sim card to get 3G. It's what enables the tablet to receive signal from the mobile phone company that provides your internet connection. This is never free (at least not in the country I live in and I doubt it in yours). There are 3 types of Pipo M7 tablets. The M7 which has a 1200 x 800 screen and no built in 3G. The M7Pro wireless which has a 1920 x 1200 screen and no built in 3G, or the M7Pro 3G which has the better screen plus built in 3G. Look at the back of your tablet. If there is no slot on the top right hand side with a little picture saying sim below it then you don't have a 3G version. If you want to use 3G you still can but you will need to purchase a dongle to plug into the USB to do this, as well as buying a sim and internet data from a carrier.

If you're not sure if yours is an M7 or an M7Pro it will be written on the back if it's a Pro.

Now, for your GPS problem. This is caused once again by the lack of 3G internet. I am assuming you are using Google maps for directions. Google maps requires an internet connection to download the maps for the area you are in unless it already has them stored away. Once you hooked it up to your phone and gave it an internet connection it was able to load the maps it requires. There are only a couple of ways around this really. Either hook it up to the internet through your phone or using an external 3G dongle while you are using google maps, or download a different GPS navigation app which will then download maps for your country/area and store them on your tablet so you always have them there. There used to be a way you could store maps from Google maps but I don't think you can do that any more.

Finally, if you do happen to have the 3G version with sim card slot, I have been told it will work in the US, but will only run well with certain carriers as it's 3G runs on the 900/2100 MHz band. I live in Oz so I can't give any first hand experience of how well it works there or what carriers to choose.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks Marty
I have the M7 pro with the 1900 x 1200 screen. According to order form, it came with an internal 3g which was optional. I get your point aout the sim card slot but there isn't one. It has an SD slot which is occupied with the as you might guess an SD card.

So I paid $35 bucks for a non existent capability? Yeah I get the GPS now. I can always use another GPS program

Appreciate the help! Been to OZ several times and youhave a beautiful country

·
Registered
9 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
I wonder if there is a screen difference between these two models.
PLS screen for the first (Pipo M7pro only wifi 1920x1200) http://www.banggood.com/PIPO-M7Pro-Quad-Core-RK3188-1_6GHz-8_9-Inch-IPS-Android-4_2_2-Tablet-p-79879.html
and the second IPS screen (Pipo M7pro with 3G 1920x1200) http://www.banggood.com/PIPO-M7Pro-3G-Quad-Core-RK3188-1_6GHz-8_9-Inch-IPS-Android-4_2-Tablet-p-79888.html
PLS looks better but it's maybe a mistake in the description.

Both the IPS and PLS technologies are almost similar, and it is very difficult for the common user to know as to which technology has been used in the display screens. However, the PLS screens are known to be brighter and have better viewing angles. The PLS panels do not change colour on touching them. They do not leave a trail when the user drags his or her finger across the panel. The difference in both the panels is more of a technical and practical value. They are very small and mostly insignificant in the real life situations.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm with a Pipo M7 Pro wifi for a week. These are my first impressions:

Well, this is my fourth chinese tablet. Previously, I had a Zenithink 10", a Ainol Aurora II and Momo8 IPS.

There is no doubt that Pipo M7 Pro is a very good device. Has good construction, although you can feel a slight crack in one of the edges. Other than that, it has a very solid construction. I was looking for a high definition display and the Pipo M7 Pro has great quality and good viewing angles. About this I have nothing to complain about.

However, when comparing with other devices I mentioned before, I do not know if it's because Pipo M7 Pro software has still not very mature, or difficulties in dealing with high-definition screen, I think his performance is not as fluid as my Momo8.

The wifi is very irregular, and leaves the M7 Pro unsigned sometimes even close to the router. Of course it can not compare with the Momo8, which is the worst device with wifi reception I've ever seen, but the Ainol Aurora II has more range and signal quality. Of course it could be because my Aurora II has a more mature rom. Another problem that is present when using Chrome. I've had several crashes being necessary to reset the device by the hole next to the camera.

Despite the problems mentioned, I'm quite satisfied with Pipo M7 Pro, because the main goal was to use it as a reader of PDF files and comics, something he does with perfection.

Hopefully future firmware updates become slow and the device even without so many crashes.

Sorry for bad english, I'm Brazilian.

PS: I'm currently using a 1.4 rom Rilley.

·
Registered
58 Posts
New firmware...

Firmware upgrade
PiPO M7pro software_NO 3G_chinese version_201309112013-09-13
PiPO M7pro software_3G_chinese version_201309072013-09-13
PiPO M7pro software_3G_english version_201309072013-09-13
PiPO M7pro software_NO 3G_english version_201309112013-09-13

http://www.pipo.cn/En/index.php?m=Product&a=show4&type=2&id=285

From Pipo BBS Board

Non 3G:
1. increased camera exposure mode
2. improve sleep causes shutdown

3G version update:
1. increased messaging capabilities
2. increase the camera exposure mode
3. increase the 3G switch icons
4. optimization standby

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am having aproblem with the Pipo upgrade process. I have downloaded the RK batch tool and drivers + the latest firmware upgrade
When I connect the tablet to my laptop, the little square in the lower left is Pink. When I hit the switch button, the tablet goes into "connect mode" for lack of abtter term, but never switches back to green.

Device manager says unknown device and when I try to load the rockchip driver (I have a win 7 64 system), the driver nevers to load correctly

I muct be doing something wrong but what?
Any help would be appreciated
Tim

·
Registered
45 Posts
Can someone comment about the screen brightness please, as in for outdoors use.

I'm looking at the various Pipo tablets (M6, M7 Pro and M9 Pro) as a replacement for my current one which is virtually unusable outdoors and with the M7 supposedly having the brighter PLS screen this would be a deciding factor.

·
Registered
5 Posts
hello to all,

i read all what is written till now, but no one say does m7pro 3g support sms and voice call functions? imho, sms/mms should be supported, but what about voice calling?

many thanks!

viki

·
Registered
45 Posts
Everything I have read so far including people asking for software changes says that these 3G connections (I think on all Pipo, possibly all/most tablets) do NOT support anything like calling or SMS over the 3g connection.

It is 3g data only.

·
Registered
5 Posts
that's strange. at least, sms should be working. all my previoust tablets, w/ or w/o 3g or even with 3g dongles were supporting sms. voice - not all of them. but, i presume that voice is NOT supported, as they will advertise that already. but, hey, asking doesn't cost me anything! ;-)

61 - 80 of 101 Posts