Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts

Synopsis
Much like the FNF ifive X2 (and Kindle Fire HD 8.9") the PiPO M7 Pro has a 8.9" 16:10 aspect ratio 1920x1200 resolution screen and uses the Rockchip RK3188 processor with 2GB of RAM.
The PiPO M7 Pro differentiates itself mainly due to its onboard GPS and the availlability of choice whether to get the white or black version in Wi-Fi or 3G configuration.
The FNF ifive X2 is only availlable in white and hasn't got 3G or GPS, which could sway a potential buyer into getting the M7 Pro instead.
The X2's main advantage over the M7 Pro are the frontfacing stereo speakers (and perhaps design).
Another difference would be the M7 Pro's 6400mAh in comparison with the X2's specified 7000mAh (rated 3.7V) and the display technology.
The X2 uses IPS technology; it's screen is actually very nice, with suprisingly good backlight handling, there's no bleeding and the blacks look nice and black.
The M7 Pro uses Samsungs PLS technology; meaning contrast and viewing angles should be really nice as well as power consumption.

Expect the official listing soon to appear on the PiPO site: http://pipo.cn/index.php?m=Product&a=index&type=2 .

Prices
Wi-Fi only: 1199 CNY* (~ 195 USD/~ 155 EUR)
3G: 1399 CNY* (~ 230 USD/~ 180 EUR)

* Local retailing prices in China. Add agent or reseller fee/costs and international shipping to get a more realistic price (~ 40 USD extra).

Sidenote: there will also be the cheaper M7 (non-Pro version) sporting a 8.9" 1280x800 resolution screen.

BUYsearch
Taobao/Tmall listings: http://s.taobao.com/search?q=m7pro
AliExpress: http://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?SearchText=m7pro
Webshops: http://chinaprices.us?q=m7%20pro%20-atom%20-4.7%20-haina&from=199&to=999
Availlability: 'Presell product, you can place an order and will be shipped on July 20.' Info @ webshop.

News & Updates
For news and updates you should regularly take a look over at the PiPO forum: http://pipo.cn/bbs/forum.php .
Also don't forget to check out newsarticles:

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'm probably gonna get a black one. I just don't like the white X2 I have right now (merely because of the color
).
Besides: GPS!

Btw, both use their own layered skin on top of the Android interface...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I picked one of these up. I'm new to tablets but I know tech pretty well, just not an expert. this is a lot of tablet for the price. It has it all. Do you think it will come rooted?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Three independent sources tell me the PiPO M7Pro will be availlable this week.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Official productpage with finalized specs online:

~ http://pipo.cn/index.php?m=Product&a=show1&type=2&id=285

User manual: http://pipo.cn/Public/Upload/day_130719/201307190604219957.pdf .

About availlability... A buddy of mine at one of these Chinese webshops said there where some problems with the circuitboard and PiPO stopped the supply (which they had already initiated by sending out some small numbers) to vendors. His guestimate was that it might be 'In stock' end of this month. I guess we'll have to wait 'n see.

I like the 8.9" format, so altough now as well the PiPO M9 gets upgraded to a Pro version with FHD screen and GPS, I'm still going for the M7 Pro.

·
Registered
137 Posts
slater can u put a head to head comparison of m7 pro versus m9 pro..(size. screen, screen aspect ratio, battery, gps, 3g, etc etc)

my pipo max m2(9.7) purchased last november is still working fine..so am more inclined to go for 8.9 inch instead..(certain sites claim the m9pro to be 9 inch),,

am yet to decide on these two..does the m7 pro come with sdk2.0?

also how does the m7 pro compare with the chuwi v 88?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, you should first determine your most favorable aspect ratio and size tablet and thereafter start looking for which tablet fits the profile.
Determining aspect ratio is relatively easy. 1920x1200 is 16:10, you can confirm this because 1920/16=120, 120x10=1200. So both the M7 Pro and M9 Pro have the same aspect ratio: 16:10.
That is also why you see 4:3 ratio tablets with 1024x768 (1024/4=256x3=768) and the newer 2048x1536(2048/4=512x3=1536).

The difference of course is the pixel density, which will be greater, so more pixels per inch (ppi) with the smaller screen keeping the same resolution as the larger screened M9 Pro.
You can easily calculate the ppi. You already know the diagonal of the tablet in inches. Now you just need the diagonal of the tablet in pixels.
So back to school: a[sup]2[/sup]+b[sup]2[/sup]=c[sup]2[/sup] so, 1920x1920 + 1200x1200=c[sup]2[/sup], 3686400 + 1440000=c[sup]2[/sup], 5126400=c[sup]2[/sup], c=√5126400, c=2264. So there's 2264 pixels diagonally in a 1920x1200 tablet.
So for 10.1 inch that would result in 2264/10.1=224 ppi and for 8.9" obviously 2264/8.9=254 ppi.
Therefor, with the M7 Pro you'd have a harder time really seeying pixels (which is a plus) and the image looks nicely fluid and crisp.

Personally I really like the pixel density of the FNF ifive X2 which is as well 254 ppi.
It's quite the contrast to the 1280x800 9.4" PiPO M8 Pro which is roughly 160 ppi only. Much nicer on the eyes I'd have to say.

On the other hand you'll have to pick out physical dimensions that you want. My very first tablet was the 10.1" Archos 101IT G8.
I liked it because it was really thin, light (had a kickstand, something you don't ever see anymore btw, what a shame!) and was pretty wide, but not so high or bulky.
Then there was a period when I had all sorts of 7.0" tablets (as you can tell from my forum signature).
But I wanted to give 10.1" a shot again, since I often grabbed my smartphone instead of my tablet, because the experience is not that different.
So I got the Ainol Novo10 Hero II. But I found that it was too bulky. The PiPO M8 Pro was a real catcher, in my eyes it did about everything right.
But when the FNF ifive X2 with the untill then pretty unusual 8.9" 1920x1200 came out, I couldn't resist giving it a go. And like 9.4" it is just very convenient.
The X2 is amazingly build with a dream of a screen put in, I'd have to give 'em props for that. But there's only a white version and I couldn't get used to it, I need a black front.
Besides, the M7 Pro adds GPS and the possibility of getting a version with 3G-capability. How could I not ditch the X2?

The only downfalls... the X2 had stereo frontspeakers, the M7 Pro has rear ones. The X2 was really well build, and altough white, the design was excellent.
The choice of a non-standard HDMI-port on the X2 didn't really get my approval, but at least the microUSB-port functioned as a charging port! Simply use you Android phone's microUSB charger!
The last trade-off I could see is battery capacity. Latest info suggest a 6300mAh 3.7 battery. And for a 1920x1200 pixels resoltion screen, quadcore, 3G et cetera, that's a bit underwhelming, maybe even lacking.
But then again, the screen of the M7 Pro is no ordinary screen. If you look into it, it's a high grade Samsung PLS panel, which is powerconsumption friendly and has great brightness and contrast depiction.

So, for me personally: I don't like the 4:3 aspect ratio tablets. I don't like the physical aspects and ergonomics, nor do like the visual experience, especially since I use tablets a lot for tv series, movies and YouTube.
So 9.7" UltraRes (2048x1536), eventhough the ppi is nice, it's not going to happen. Same for the 4:3 AR 7.85/7.9/8.0" tablets, which for my taste additionally have insufficient pixels.
It's just not for me. And 16:10 tabletswise I'd say 7.0" is too small and 10.1" is too bulky (can't even imagine what the VOYO A15 11.6" must be like
).
So I'm gonna stick with 9.4" and 8.9" tablets.

So basicly what I did, was determining my favorite aspect ratio. Then determining my favorite size and then find out what's availlable in that category.
I think these aspects should make up 75% of why you'll be a certain tablet. The other 25% is nittpicking over certain features and looks.

That said. The RK3188 is standard a quadcore processor with typically 2GB RAM and you'll find that many specs of different tablets overlap.
The obvious difference mainly lies with screensize and resolution, as stated above.
But also other design related features, not only meaning appearance and build quality, but such as camera's (resolution, LED-flash), placement of speakers and ports (HDMI/USB(OTG)).
Then we have connectivity, GPS, 3G, BT4.0 et cetera. But also don't forget the battery capacity!
Last but not least, as you might've noticed, you should really pay attention to the brand a tablet is from, it tells you a lot about the quality and support you can expect.
Also, if a tablet is very popular you can expect a lot of developement, also from the international community in form of help with troubleshooting and custom ROMs. That's very valuable!

In the end the M9 Pro and M7 Pro overlap on quite a few fronts.
If they would be two persons and you'd ask them who they are and where they're from, they'd both give you quite a few anwers the same.
Both PiPO Pro-line tablets. Both RK3188 2GB RAM, both this, both that, and so on.
The main difference in the end is the screen. The 10.1" versus the 8.9" and the technology used (in case of the 8.9" -> it's PLS).
The other will be battery capacity. But other than that. You're not gonna find a huge deal of differences.

The Chuwi V88 is a whole other category of tablet, which doesn't really appeal to me because of the screensize (again: I think you should choose screentype initially and then look further!).
But if you're into that kinda thing, what's keeping you from comparing those two yourself.
I mean, the official M9 Pro page is not up yet, but the M7 Pro is listed here: http://pipo.cn/index.php?m=Product&a=show1&id=285&cid=218&type=2 and the Chuwi V88's right over here: http://www.chuwi.com/index.php?m=Product&a=show&id=28 , so what you need information from me from?
You can even look here on SlateDroid in the topics where people already have gotten their tablets and read about first hand experiences. That's better than me making assumptions.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Anyone know what 3G frequency does M7 Pro support?
I'm leaning to get the M7 Pro instead of M9 Pro due to the weight difference. M7 Pro 390g. M9 Pro 580g.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Typically 850/2100MHz.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Greetings:

This tablet looks like it has my name on it. Good size, resolution, processor, price, etc.
3G is very important to me. I travel a lot to different countries, and plan to buy data SIM cards locally to avoid exorbitant AT&T data roaming charges I would incur if I tether this device to my phone.
Can someone explain to me if it will be as simple as buying a foreign data SIM card overseas, dropping it in the slot, and start browsing? Thanks - this is a critical piece of knowledge that I need before making the decision to purchase.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Greetings:

This tablet looks like it has my name on it. Good size, resolution, processor, price, etc.
3G is very important to me. I travel a lot to different countries, and plan to buy data SIM cards locally to avoid exorbitant AT&T data roaming charges I would incur if I tether this device to my phone.
Can someone explain to me if it will be as simple as buying a foreign data SIM card overseas, dropping it in the slot, and start browsing? Thanks - this is a critical piece of knowledge that I need before making the decision to purchase.
Normally yes, you just pop in your sim and you are done (after you "activate" or buy the right bundle / topup).
As ACslater said normaly these tablets support the 850/2100 band for 3G, here in Europe the 2100 band is quite common for 3G internet so you should not have to much of a problem if you are traveling here.
You could check this (or another) list to see if the tablet is going to work in the countries where you travel.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Yeah, really hoping my Black 3G version will be shipped out soon.
Nice overview:

In meanwhile deals-prime has a nice review online:
There's also an unboxing and benchmarks results availlable on their YT-channel.

One thing I don't like about the M7-tablets though: no physical volumebuttons, what's up with that?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am thinking between Pipo m7pro and Pipo m8pro. I need to use my tablet at least one year. Due to full hd resolution, m7pro may not keep up with the future games. What's your opinion?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Yeah, really hoping my Black 3G version will be shipped out soon.
Nice overview:

In meanwhile deals-prime has a nice review online:
There's also an unboxing and benchmarks results availlable on their YT-channel.

One thing I don't like about the M7-tablets though: no physical volumebuttons, what's up with that?
Nice video's.

It has a back button, so you could map at least one.
Maybe the power button can be remapped? long press = off, short press = volume- / wake

I am quite sure that you can fix that the volume rockers wake up the phone (jiayu G3) so that should not be the issue (Never did try to remap power for obvious reasons
)

·
Registered
2 Posts
So these things have English GUI on them right out of the box? I am thinking about ordering one from Mr Tao (thanks AC Slater!), but don't want to fire it up and find myself staring at exclusively Chinese characters...and not knowing how to switch the language to English...

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
They're multilanguage, so you can set any language you want basicly.
If a tablet comes factorystandard with Chinese, most sellers when doing their quality control checks will atually change it to English already.

If it is in some other language you don't understand though, it's not that hard to change it yourself.
You know the 'Settings' icon is pretty straight forward and easy to indentify.
When launched, just go to the keyboardkey-icon with an 'A' on it, this is the 'Language & Input'-tab.

Then first configurable setting on your top right can be pressed to choose from a wide selection of languages.

A lot of brands actually have their own Tmall-store and offer you quite some nice freebies if you order something. However, PiPO seems to be the exception.
There are only some non-official third party resellers for the PiPO tablets, so the argument to use that method to get something directly from the source, wouldn't apply to them.
The non-3G M7Pro costs 1199 CNY, which is roughly 195 USD. If you use an agent you'll have to add commission and shipping of about 35 USD (my guestimate). So totalling around 230 USD or so.
Chinese webshops usually add 35 USD or more as well, that's why you can find 'em for example (use webshop searchlink in openingspost) at Buyincoins for around the same price: http://www.buyincoins.com/item/33884.html .
With these webshops you can give up a recommender (at buyincoins for example ' shizzo ') or some coupon you find online ( http://retailmenot.com & http://tjoos.com ) to get a few % off.
For that they offer PayPal and direct customer service (you buy the product from the webshop, in case of a Taobao/Tmall agent, you don't buy with them, you buy at the Taobao/Tmall-store), which is a nice plus.
So, although usually with official Tmall-stores it gives you the insurance of the real thing, the best stock and best price, it doesn't always have to be like that and you might be swayed to purchase your items another way.

·
Registered
8 Posts
1 - 20 of 101 Posts