Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a petition for them to release the Gentouch srcs, they did. Archos also released source. If we were to make a petition, get guys here and xda developers to sign it, maybe we could get them to release the source for the Wits. This is needed to port CyanogenMod...someone make a petition? Good idea?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'll definitely add my name to it.Why wouldn't they realize that if they allow people to fully customize the A81E, they'll sell a lot more of them?!It's not like they're charging for the software, or have some subscription service. There's no reason whatsoever to hold back on the source code.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Count me in too. Does anyone have contacts to Witstech? Maybe through the guys from JTShop? I absolutely see no reason why they should not release the sources. It would only benefit them. I'm sure the community can create a decent and stable version much faster than they ever could. So it would only help them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I started one here:WITS should release their A81E source code - Petition SpotHere's what we need:- a list of all the rebranded devices that are the same as the A81E, so we can add those to the petition to get more people interested- a grammar check of the petition - it's not the most interesting thing to write- examples of other devices that have had the kernel released in the past, which we could add as referencesOnce the petition's looking good, we should spam it to as many A81E forums as we can. If we got 500 names on it, there's a slim chance WITS will actually release it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
retack;55770]I started one here:[URL=http://www.petitionspot.com/petitions/A81Ekernel/]WITS should release their A81E source code - Petition Spot[/URL]Here said:
I'd think that it should also quote the relevant portion of the GPL. Thus, it might include something like:
Whereas, since the A81E includes software licensed under the GNU General Public License, including the Linux kernel, BusyBox, as well as various portions of Google Android... According to clause 2
of the GNU GPL, the software you have derived from these programs is, just like they are, required to be licensed as a whole at no charge to all third parties under the terms of this license. We recognize, and appreciate, that WITS has done so, in conformance with the GPL.We also observe that, according to clause 3 of the GPL, you are obliged to provide source code for all of the GPL-licensed software. There are three permissible handlings of this; based on what has been observed thus far, it appears WITS's obligations fall under clause 3b), where WITS is expected to provide any third party, on demand, a complete copy of the corresponding source code. It appears as though WITS may have overlooked this obligation.We trust that WITS will see to their responsibilities in this matter, and they should probably examine clause 4 for information about negative consequences that might arise from not living up to those responsibilities.
This isn't about "boy, it would be keen if they let us have the sources" - there is a well-documented obligation.

·
Registered
8 Posts
[quote name='Edzilla;67375]You might want to get it translated in chinese' date=' it would probably help[/QUOTE']I agree, good idea - to speak with people in their language. :)Signed the petition, but 66 voices so far :confused: seems too little.. Come on, people, don't be shy.WBR, Serg.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I agree, good idea - to speak with people in their language.
Thye was speaking in english too on forum, so I htink they will understand it :)Imho everybody should make a post on witstech forum because "66" on petitions spot it's just number, but 60+ post's in thread on their forum it's another thing...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.