Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
Note: I am using the 7/24 PDN firmware (hacked, of course) and the OF on the Gentouch, as of this writing.Where the PDN wins:- ACV Comic Viewer. Between the wider screen and the fact that is actually WORKS on the PDN, it wins hands down.- Skyfire. Has the same screen issues on the Gentouch as ACV - that means there could be other apps with this problem, and that's not looking good for the Gentouch.- Accelerometer. The Gentouch can go into portrait mode depending on the app, but that causes other issues once you leave the app as it gets "stuck" in that mode. Very annoying.- Battery life. This is assuming both are hacked at similar Mhz levels. I am not 100% sure of this yet, but limited testing seems to indicate that the PDN wins here. I'm going to do a better video playback test once both my devices are fully charged up.EDIT: More testing seems to confirm that. Fully charged, ran the same 30 minute MP4 video on both. Once done, checked the battery -- 85% charged on the PDN, 61% charged on the Gentouch. Let them sit for 15 more minutes idle -- the PDN is still 85% charged, and the Gentouch is now down to 58%. Both have WiFi enabled, btw.- Recharge completed green light LED. Never really realized how much I liked that little feature until I found it lacking on the Gentouch.- Typing accuracy. This is an early lead and could change, since it's so subjective. Maybe it's the larger screen or perhaps I've become "used" to the PDN, but I find typing on it more comfortable than the Gentouch.- Ability to change the brightness. So far, I have yet to find a way to do that on the Gentouch. When running apps like Aldiko on the Gentouch, it's either 100% brightess or 0%. There is no in-between.- Font quality. Not just on Aldiko, but also noticeable on the homepage. The Gentouch is a bit "jaggier". In particular, Aldiko night mode (which I use a lot) looks better on the PDN than on the Gentouch, imo.- Heat. The Gentouch feels more like a laptop, as it generates some heat (I assume from the battery). The PDN does not have this issue.- Ability to wipe the device, if needed. No fix for that with the Gentouch, yet.- No need for a 3.5mm headphone converter, to use standard headphones. Granted, it's probably a $2 item to fix, but still an annoyance.Where the Gentouch wins:- Video playback. MP4's play more smooth (especially 4:3 playback, where the PDN gets choppy). I haven't been able to get AVI's or MKV's to work yet, but just the MP4 playback improvement makes it the clear winnner.- Overall UI performance, once rooted and altered with SetCPU. And once you kill the animated wallpaper, too - bad design move on Augen's part, there.- WiFI. Sleep/power-on speed and reliability is noticably better than the PDN.- Notification Bar works from the get-go, no tricks needed to enable it.- No crashing on rotate versus the PDN. But not a 100% win since there is no rotate at all. :)- Web browsing. Perhaps it's the smaller screen or the WiFi, but it seems a better performer to me, via limited testing. Also loads faster, assuming I test with the default browser on both.- You get a nice case.Neutral, so far:- Buttons. The Gentouch has more, but I personally like the side placement of the PDN better. So take your pick, here. - Audio SQ. They are not the same, but I haven't decided if one is better than the other, yet.- Size and weight. The PDN is larger and is probably heavier, but the Gentouch feels cheaper. So again, take your pick.- Having to mount to get USB PC connection working (Gentouch) versus automount (PDN). I don't really have a preference.- Overall screen quality. I think that Aldiko looks better on the PDN, but I think videos might look better on the Gentouch. I think it depends on the app used so I haven't really decided yet.- SD (PDN) or MicroSD (Gentouch). I personally prefer SD because I already have a 16GB that I can use, but it's up to you what's preferable for yourself.- The speakers. They are both crapola, to be honest. Maybe the PDN wins out by a hair, but I'm not calling that one yet.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I think this is a really great comparison, but I wanted to nitpick one thing. The Browser has been modded by Pandigital, and at that point I would say any sense of fairness should go out the window (as I've seen how hacky some of their other work has been). I've grabbed a stock browser from a emulator 2.0 ROM, and it works fine, so you might want to try that on the PDN and see if you notice any improvement.

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Very true - it could be an unfair comparison. I was actually going to use Skyfire, which is when I noticed that Skyfire has issues with the Gentouch. :) Maybe I'll try Opera, instead - do you have a link to the stock 2.0 browser, anywhere?

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I pulled it from an emulator image of 2.0. I can probably grab it for you again at some point if you need it.It works fine, except that it looks like they had some statically sized graphics in the adress bar, which looks weird and stretched out on the PDN. Still works fine, just weird-looking.

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have the SDK on my system -- is it an apk that you pulled from the 2.0 AVD (I'm assuming not) or did you just pull the files(s)? Sorry to be a noob, but three weeks ago I had zero experience with Android. This is all new to me.

·
Banned
1,334 Posts
What green led? When my PDN is off I have a red led when it is charging and when the battery is full the red led simply goes off. I don't have any green led. When the unit is on the battery icon shows charging status.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
[quote name='roebeet;25909]I have the SDK on my system -- is it an apk that you pulled from the 2.0 AVD (I'm assuming not) or did you just pull the files(s)? Sorry to be a noob' date=' but three weeks ago I had zero experience with Android. This is all new to me.[/QUOTE']From memory, so forgive any minor errors:*start up 2.0 Virtual Device*adb pull /system/app/Browser.apk (this will grab the 2.0 Browser and drop it into your adb dir)*close virtual device, connect PDN*adb remount*this is to make a backup of the PD browser just in case you want to revert*adb shell mkdir /system/app/PDNadb shell mv /system/app/Browser.apk /system/app/PDN/*this will push over the 2.0 Browserfrom your adb dir*adb push Browser.apk /system/app/

·
Premium Member
1,425 Posts
jackbox;26302 said:
What green led? When my PDN is off I have a red led when it is charging and when the battery is full the red led simply goes off. I don't have any green led. When the unit is on the battery icon shows charging status.
You should have a green LED when the Novel is plugged in, off and fully charged.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Dolphin browser seems to running pretty smooth on my PDN. once and a while though you'll need to clear the cache when it starts getting a bit laggy...when you exit the browser gives you the option to "clear cache and exit".

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Got the 2.0 browser working, thanks! Basically, pulled it from the emulator (/system/app), deleted the original one in /system/app in the PDN and then installed the .apk I pulled out.I also pulled a few other things, like the Camera.apk (Gallery), Music, and the Alarm Clock. I've started removing most of the PDN stuff (sans Video / Settings) as I don't use them.

·
Banned
1,334 Posts
[quote name='blazingwolf;26368]You should have a green LED when the Novel is plugged in' date=' off and fully charged.[/QUOTE'] I do have a green led when the charge is done and the unit is off. It is just hard to see as you have to be looking directly at the unit. When it is red you can see it at any angle. Glad to know my unit is working as it should.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I like the PDN better than the Gentouch for now. It is more stable and seems more usefull. Pandigital took a lot of heat for pulling their product when they had issues. That took a lot of guts but when they re-released it, it was more useable & stable and they have since updated it a couple of times. If Augen follows their lead, the Gentouch could be a really great product for the money.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Moved this here as I think I was hijacking someone elses topic.So I picked both of these the other day to compare them after hacking and playing for a few days here is my take. Similar results to OPSo to be clear i am comparing both devices running rooted with setCPU configured to min 133 and performance. Running FW 7/24 on the PD and the screen calibration update on the GT. Using Opera mini and skyfire for browser testing, and Kindle for reader testing. Have LauncherPro as the home screen. Animated wallpaers are disabled.Pandigital Wins:Touch Sensitivity - after all hacks and tweaks applied this screen is very useable and responsive. The GT screen is far superior after the hack however it is still so flaky it drives me nuts. also it seems to be nearly impossible to do a flick scroll on most apps.screen resolution - for browsing this is big especially with the screen sensitivity issues on the GTRotation(hopefully GT will fix)screen quality - the GT looks grainy in comparison.App compatibility - seems almost all apps work on the PD, not so(my favorite PDF reader beamreader) pukes on GT.Browsing/Reading - for all the reasons stated above.3.5 mm audio - sounds trivial but it's not.ad-hoc hacks works better, still not right for GT, very useable on PDPC connectivity - easy to get files to/from the PD, the USB toggling on the GT is ridiculousStorage - replaceable microsd, easily accessible SDHC. The GT microsd slot is extremely difficult to get my card in and out of.Heat - much cooler than the GTBattery life - still testing this one but PD seems to have a marginal leadfinal price - at 115(AR) compared with 169 thats like 30% discountGentouch Wins:VIDEO - hands down anything other than MP4 is FAR superior on the GT than the PD(hopefully eclair or froyo updates and other hacks will improve this). Even with mp4 the better GT is noticeablywifi - more dependable when not trying to use ad-hoc.buttons - marginal since no hardware volume, but still more buttons.usb charging - though you have to be careful since it says it's charging even if your cable isn't high enough quality.lighter - definitely easier to carry aroundcase - very nice caseToss Ups:stability - GT video player is not only faster but more stable, however I continually get to a point where the device slows to a crawl doing nothing and needs to be rebooted. PD is fairly stable except the home screen rotation issue.performance - beyond video and screen response I don't see significant difference in running apps.Final thoughts:Right now I would probably hang on to the PD over the GT given the price difference and the fact that I can offset most of the GT video performance by encoding to mp4. The screen response is UTTERLY ANNOYING.I will however be holding onto both for another couple weeks until we see what we get for updates from GT and from PD or better yet from the great folks working on the Eclair/Froyo firmware.

·
Registered
549 Posts
ok so a little more playing and ...usb charging and usb hosting doesnt really work so scratch that off the list for the GT. on the upside i removed the crappy screen protector and screen response improved slightly, though the PD is just so smooth in comparison

·
Registered
193 Posts
[quote name='gottahavit;35726]ok so a little more playing and ...usb charging and usb hosting doesnt really work so scratch that off the list for the GT. on the upside i removed the crappy screen protector and screen response improved slightly' date=' though the PD is just so smooth in comparison[/QUOTE'] what you mean by removing the screen protecter on the GT?

·
Registered
567 Posts
OK since this is the top topic, heheheheh, I think that slatedrioid should discourage partisan tabletism...After all we're going to see a blooming of tablets soon (I am sure money draws all sorts), so.......this is why I'm opposed to renaming the witstech A81 E forum to midnite mp4nation forum.. I just have a problem with naming it for a comercial venture who doesn't have anything to sell ATM, and I have reservations about what mp4nation will sell it with...

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
nice hijack. MIIIIIIKE!!! FIX MY ADMIN PRIVS!!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.