Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
oneglory;32431 said:
removing this application seems to free up a crap ton of memory.I purposely removed this application before trying SetCPU and the PDN perfoms as if SetCPU is installed.
/BUMPSome details would be nice, especially with the performance you're claiming!--bornagainpenguin

·
Registered
402 Posts
So this is just deleting files, not something that allows for a "clean uninstalling" of unused apps?I just navigate to /system/app remount it as read and write and delete the apks? That's all? Do I assume correctly that if needed these files can be restored via a reloading of the firmware?--bornagainpenguin

·
Premium Member
1,420 Posts
This isn't windows that has several different places to have files from a program that you install. Yes, just delete the apks. Yes, all files will be reinstalled with the firmware. You can also rename or move the files to a different location if your worried about deleting them.

·
Registered
402 Posts
blazingwolf;33271]This isn said:
I thought so, but it never hurts to make sure.
blazingwolf;33271 said:
You can also rename or move the files to a different location if your worried about deleting them.
No point if they can simply be restored with a new firmware reload. Besides there are some rumors we may be seeing a new release from Pandigital any way and I expect I'll be giving that a try when it comes out.As for the actual removal.... I removed the files and did a restart. The GUI seems slightly more responsive but that could easily be the placebo effect, so I'll have to wait a bit and see how things pan out. Thanks for taking the time to respond.--bornagainpenguin

·
Registered
22 Posts
blazingwolf;33252 said:
You can do it with a file explorer that can see the root folders. I use Root Explorer. You can also do it through adb on your computer.
Would you mind sharing the exact command to remove an .apk file using adb? (I've only used adb to install, not remove and apps.)Thanks,Jeff

·
Registered
22 Posts
Sorry, I figured it out. (I ran adb remount from the WinXP command line, and afterward was able to use Astro file manager on the device to browse to the app folder.)...but, oops... when looking for pdcalendar.apk, I accidentally also deleted calendar.apk. I don't see that it affects me anywhere. Any idea... is this a problem? I use Jorte for my calendar instead, and it seems to be working OK.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Sorry for another noobish message, but I think I read somewhere on the forum that running adb remount allows access to the root of the system, and that this is dangerous (system security-wise). If adb remount is the "on switch," what is the "off switch" to protect my system again?I'm very well-versed in Windows (and even DOS), but sorry, I'm still learning a little more about Android everyday. :eek:Jeff

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
It's not really that dangerous. ADB remount lets you mount the system drive (similar to the "Windows" directory, if you want an analogy) as read-write whereas it is normally read-only. To go back to read-only all you have to do is reboot.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.