Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Spoke to PD customer service yesterday and they claimed that the Black PDN is running Android 2.1. I picked up a unit yesterday and tried to get ADB access but it didnt work.How do I check what version of Android it is running and try to get it rooted. I am a complete newbe with this so please make any instructions/suggestions easy to followThanks

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
windows XP shows it in win explorer as PD_novel with 2 drives, the internal and the SD card, both of which can be accessed It didnt ask for a driver.When i look in Device Mgr it shows as Linux File Stor Gadget USB Device listed twice under Drives.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
I have a Black PDN as of two days ago (couldn't resist trying it out). So far I have not been able to hack into it. If I had to hazard a guess, USB Debugging is turned off. I also tried a firmware alteration to get it to work, but so far the updates are failing (different firmware update process). I think their updates are signed.I don't think this is Android 2.1, going on the build.prop I saw in the firmware update. Looks like 1.5. And btw, I don't like this thing at all - definitely feels slower than the white Novel.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
So you don't get a composite device at all?In that case, assuming your computer is on the same network as your PDN, try "adb connect <PDN's IP ADDRESS>:5555" , so, for example "adb connect 192.168.1.120:5555", assuming your PDN is at IP 192.168.1.120. I've seen other slatedroid's have to do that, so maybe USB is disabled but we can still get to it over WiFi.Did you try accessing files on the SD using the browser?FYI, here's the vold for the black:
## vold configuration file for the emulator/SDKvolume_sdcard { ## This is the direct uevent device path to the SD slot on the device ## emu_media_path /class/mmc_host/mmc1/mmc1:0000/block:mmcblk1/mmcblk1p1 media_path /class/mmc_host/mmc1/mmc1:0000/block:mmcblk1/mmcblk1p1 media_path_1 /block/mmcblk1/mmcblk1p1 media_path_2 /block/mmcblk2/mmcblk2p1 media_path_3 /block/mmcblk3/mmcblk3p1 media_path_4 /block/mmcblk4/mmcblk4p1 media_path_5 /block/mmcblk5/mmcblk5p1 media_path_6 /block/mmcblk6/mmcblk6p1 media_path_7 /block/mmcblk7/mmcblk7p1 media_type mmc mount_point /sdcard ums_path /devices/platform/s3c6410-usbgadget/gadget/gadget-lun1 disk_presence 1 name sdcard0}volume_sdcard0 { ## This is the direct uevent device path to the SD slot on the device ## emu_media_path /class/mmc_host/mmc1/mmc0:0000/block:mmcblk0/mmcblk0p3 media_path /class/mmc_host/mmc0/mmc0:0000/block:mmcblk0/mmcblk0p3 media_path_1 /block/mmcblk0/mmcblk0p3 media_type mmc mount_point /system/media/sdcard ums_path /devices/platform/s3c6410-usbgadget/gadget/gadget-lun0 disk_presence 1 name movi}
So you may have to tweak paths accordingly for trying to do it that way.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
I wasn't aware you could do that, clockworx -- I will try it out. I'm reasonably sure that ADBD is running, going on the init.rc.I tried accessing apks via the browser over both the SD card and the internal, but that fails as well. I was going to write up a review, but the bottom line is that it's crapola. The only good things are smaller size, better reset button (incorporated into the power button, no more paper clips) and the PDN-writen UI is a little better.EDIT: ADB over WiFi works!!! Awesome! I am going to hack this thing to pieces, now.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Agree with you that the UI works a little better. I also like the matted screen and the form factor of the black one. If only it had the white ones internals and FW. PD is rteally missing the mark. If they combined the good things from both they might have a winner!Hope your sucessful getting into it using clockworx method.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Sorry, hope you don't mind a TODO list :p1) Check build.prop just to be sure what version we're on (or go into settings once you get a real Home installed)2) From ADB: cat /proc/meminfo to check the RAM3) Also from ADB: cat /proc/cpuinfo for kicksDoes it play videos any better? I'd also be interested to see what Quadrant thinks if better 2D/3D acceleration is enabled.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Well, I managed to semi-brick the device.
It doesn't like alternate launchers, it seems - and wiping the PDLauncher (Home.apk) wasn't the best idea. hahahha Flash time. And yes, the 1.5 vanilla Home.apk is my next attempt after fixing this.They've really done a good job of making this very difficult to get into.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
nah, I killed it. ADB is down. That's cool - I wouldn't be happy with myself if I couldn't brick the device at least once.The firmware update was the first thing I tested, so I have my backout plan.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
[quote name='clockworx;49770]Sorry' date=' hope you don't mind a TODO list :p1) Check build.prop just to be sure what version we're on (or go into settings once you get a real Home installed)2) From ADB: cat /proc/meminfo to check the RAM3) Also from ADB: cat /proc/cpuinfo for kicksDoes it play videos any better? I'd also be interested to see what Quadrant thinks if better 2D/3D acceleration is enabled.[/QUOTE']Yeah, I'll do these first. I should have done a meminfo before I bricked it.I had tested video under the OF and, believe it or not, it's actually WORSE than the white PDN. Extremely choppy on the same Handbrake made MP4's I've used to test the white PDN. At least the white is watchable in 16:9 or 2:35, but it's unwatchable on the black.EDIT: I'm going to start a new thread, so this info is easily accessible and I can update it as I get more information.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.