1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Premium Member
2,596 Posts
Hmm I like it, although I cant figure which version of android it is running Keep us up to date and i would love to see some pics of that bad boy

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
[quote author=Mp4doggie link=topic=649.msg5264#msg5264 date=1275735386]Hmm I like it, although I cant figure which version of android it is running Keep us up to date and i would love to see some pics of that bad boy [/quote]So noted. They advised receipt 6-9 to 6-11. I will contain my enthusiasm and take pics of the unboxing.

·
Registered
51 Posts
There's already a firmware update on the Pandigital website... so decent price and manufacturer support! Your hands-on review should be very interesting!

·
Premium Member
297 Posts
seems like a good option from a real company if you could get rid of their custom UI and go with stand android, if it was running 2.1, and we could get a full specs list that would also be great. for specs i checked the FCC link and could not find them so if you could post them it would be great.

·
Registered
4 Posts
This sparked my interest so I started digging around.This blog + discussion asserts it is running 2.0 at this point:
From Suzanne Kantra on May 24, 2010 :: 5:45 pmIt runs Android 2.0 but Pandigital couldn?t confirm whether it would run the Kindle app.
http://www.techlicious.com/blog/pandigital-novel-a-color-ebook-reader-that-run-android-apps/This SlickDeals posting has it on @ Kohl's June 9- 16 for $159.99 after $15 rebate (maybe cheeper with kohl's card)http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?sduid=0&t=2063286This might be my father's day present.

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
[quote author=dsf767 link=topic=649.msg5309#msg5309 date=1275748246]seems like a good option from a real company if you could get rid of their custom UI and go with stand android, if it was running 2.1, and we could get a full specs list that would also be great. for specs i checked the FCC link and could not find them so if you could post them it would be great. [/quote]All indications are that this version is the "entry" one that will be available dirt cheap at kmart, kohls, Bed Bath and Beyond (of all places) etc., but that they intend to release in July or August a black 2gb version that is 3g capable. As I understand it, when they release that one, they will firmware up to Android 2.2. I would have waited, but I'm impatient, and want an ereader anyway. With the 15% off coupon (kohls is ALWAYS having a sale, just google for a discount code and you'll find one online somewhere) and 2 gift cards, the price was ridiculously hard to turn down.After this gets settled in and I have a little money again, I want to get an APAD to use as a sort of mobile computer, but they just aren't good enough yet - bluetooth in name only, too little RAM, spotty keyboard possibilities. I expect in the next few months someone will get it right and sell a more capable version of the smartq v7 that has all its horses hooked up, runs the then-current Android build and costs less than $300.I don't have a videocamera to do a video review- too cheap and I don't do video much. I will post a lot of pics if I can.

·
Premium Member
297 Posts
Someone over at Mobileread Forums (mobileread.com) got one today. He has posed some not so good first impressions about it. However I know that is something we could fix, I asked him what version of android it was running and he had no idea on how he could tell me. Anyone have any ideas on how he could figure this out?

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was told 1.5 before, with 2.2 update when the black comes out...Given his glowing review, I'm warming up my return envelope... Frickin OWWWWW...Smartq V7 and I may have a date.

·
Premium Member
297 Posts
I for one would wait for other reviews. Whats good about the pandigital over many others is that its a real company who will support their product. Unlike many of the tablets on these forums.

·
Registered
56 Posts
[quote author=lawman link=topic=649.msg5738#msg5738 date=1275868822]I was told 1.5 before, with 2.2 update when the black comes out...Given his glowing review, I'm warming up my return envelope... Frickin OWWWWW...Smartq V7 and I may have a date.[/quote]if you think smartq v7 is any better , you are deeply mistaken , i have eken m001 and a v7 , but to be honest i am only currently using eken , v7 is for developmental purposes only , so uncooked !

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
IF it's true there's no accelerometer, I will be surprised, and I will return it. EVERYTHING online indicates it has an accelerometer. As I read that post he hasn't figured out how to make it work, not that there isn't one. I have the user manual already from the FCC site. I will look. I also should get it in the mail in the next 2-4 days (got an email that it was shipped already) - I will take it out with the intention of finding the accelerometer first.

·
Registered
7 Posts
SmartQ V7 is like woman... lol. Btw I use this more than my Toshiba Tablet... battery life FTW! It is the only tablet that u don't need to bring charger to uni for whole day.And ability to play 1080P and youtube is much useful for me (act as HTPC replacement)

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
From the FCC review of the device:Manual page 16:"While viewing media, turn your device to rotate the orientation of the screen from vertical to horizontal. When desired, you can lock the screen orientation to prevent the auto-rotation (Reader only. pg. 26)."Manual page 26:"Screen Orientation - LockFor optimal viewing while reading, the orientation of the screen automatically rotates from vertical to horizontal depending on how you hold your device.When desired, you can lock the screen in the desired orientation to prevent the auto-rotation (in Reader only).To lock, while viewing a media page in the desired orientation, display the top function menu,  tap Lock.To unlock, display the top function menu,  tap Unlock."there's got to be an accelerometer...

·
Premium Member
297 Posts
Well if that's the case then I would have to say that maybe the person who was reviewing the item got a bad unit, or maybe its a software issue. I also saw on slick deals that someone said they confirmed it was running eclair I asked for some clarification about that and how he figured it out.

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
maybe it comes with the screen rotation locked and you have to unlock it...

1 - 20 of 78 Posts