Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 20 of 143 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
How did you do it? Any chance one of the developers can start hacking away?Why did I stop programming in HS again? Dammit...

·
Registered
143 Posts
NOW this device can be a good product...looks like my raincheck will indeed end up being used afterall once these damn things make it back to the store.

G

·
OK... now we are cooking with gas...whooowhoo. living in hope here that the novel runs like a stallion in native mode. Keep us updated, please, on how you get on with it and any feedback on speed etc would be great. Yea the lack of buttons could be a bit of a bump in the road but not a complete barn burner.

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
bmurphr1;11581 said:
NOW this device can be a good product...looks like my raincheck will indeed end up being used afterall once these damn things make it back to the store.
mllmAnd I mean that in good humor.:p

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
[quote name='sharpfork2;11872]Meth- Any more info? Did you really root the thing or just manage to install an alternative launcher. Tell us more please![/QUOTE]Yes... reallly rooted... let me know what you want a video of it doing' date=' and I'll try to video it for you. [URL=http://img693.imageshack.us/i/1000168tv.jpg/']
[/URL]

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
How did you do it, so we can all glom on to your talent? Have you toyed with the firmware package to remove a bunch of the junk, or just install selected junk?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Poor meth, we're probably hounding him and filling up his PM box while he is trying to play with new and improved Novel.

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
If he had just gotten an M001, it wouldn't be improved and he would be free of all the hounding...

·
Registered
89 Posts
[quote name='meth;12042]Yes... reallly rooted... let me know what you want a video of it doing' date=' and I'll try to video it for you.[/QUOTE'] First off, you KICK ASS!Things I'd like to know:
  • icon layout- looks like 5x6 from your pics
  • results of a benchmark- can anyone help ID a standard benchmark app?
  • is there a standard app that reports the CPU info?
  • what happens if you access the market?
  • what did you do to get around the lack of physical buttons?
  • were you able to completely kill the bloated processes of the stock UI?
  • does you tube work?
  • do you have general google apps working?
  • any plans for releasing a custom ROM?
  • what is the battery life like with the bloated UI removed?
  • anything annoying not working?
  • do you realize how awesome you are for doing this?
Things I'd like to see on a video if possible:
  • boot time
  • general UI stuff like launching common apps
  • youtube playback at various qualities (if you have the running)?
  • accelerometer screen flipping if you have it workingI'm sure other folks on the thread have questions + video requests too. I propose we keep them in the forum instead of hammering Meth with PMs

·
Registered
26 Posts
I still stand behind my initial impression of it. The specs are good enough to provide a decent experience for the price. Note the "for the price statement." I never said it was going to replace your iPad or even an iPod Touch. It might not even be as functional (in its current state) as some of these other Chinese tablets. I liked it though, and found it a very servicable LCD ebook reader. I watched the videos by some of the other reviewers, and the video of the black version. It seems all these other reviewers are used to capacitive screens or at least very responsive resistive screens. I, on the other hand, am very used to devices like this, the A81 from WitsTech, and the SmartQ/V7. I have all of those and a 3G iPod Touch as well. None of them can compare to the quality and speed of my iPod Touch. The only thing is - my Touch is too small for me. This is why I reviewed a few Chinese tablets last year. I was lucky to get my Pandigital before Kohl's stopped selling them. It is miles above my SmartV7 in quality, and is a better reader as well (except when the SmartV7 is in Linux - which is the ONLY OS that thing supports that actually works decently). My experience so far has been the device suffers from bad software/firmware. I'll be watching this thead with an eager eye to see what Meth can do.
Nice work!

1 - 20 of 143 Posts