Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn't see an 'introduce yourself' sticky in this PDN Discussion as there is in SlateDroid Main where I posted the following, so I thought I'd make myself a target for the Mods! Here goes:Greetings All,Day 3 with my Pandigital Novel and lovin' it. Lurked here for a few days prior to purchase, looking for the biggest bang-for-buck e-reader. I found it. Actually I bought 2, one for my GF's birthday (don't tell her) coming up.Initially it drove me crazy, not connecting with WiFi and acting generally buggy - it had the 07_05 firmware. After I figured out how to upgrade without WiFi, it was better, but still no joy with the WiFi. I finally made my WPA-PSK network SSID visible and it connected. It still connects even after making the SSID invisible.Lusting after the mods and hacking in this PDN discussion, I decided to check out stock operation first. I DL'd a bunch of free EPUB books from B&N and other sites. I didn't like that many had no cover art in My Library, so I Googled around, found and tried Sigil. Too much for my little brain. Then I ran across Calibre. This will be my first time in about 2 decades of using freeware that I will give money to this guy, it is THAT awesome. It converted every ebook I had (except the one DRM that was OK anyway) to the PDN format, complete with cover art, and I am one happy camper. Calibre also backs up the library on my reader which of course provides a safety net for when I start poking around.At some point I will play around with the firmware hacks and add more memory, but the reason I got this unit is because I want to get away from filling my basement with even more paper media. I'll look for a process I can use to scan and convert the stuff I want to keep and make Goodwill really happy. I'm not really looking to make this thing an all-in-one tablet because I roll with an iPhone 4 and a really sweet modded Asus 1201N.That's my story and I apologize in advance for making it soooo long! Happy to be here.~Bleu

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I need to add that I think the Web browser and B&N mobile app is somewhat retarded. Do Not Like, only use in the event of emergency. I haven't tried the FaceBook app yet. The virtual keyboard is very similar to my experience with the iPhone, but bigger, no real problem there. I LOVE Firefox on my other systems and I hope to find a version I can use on the PDN.

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
I'd merge this with your other post, but my privs aren't working. Try not to double post, or I'll, like, ban you or something.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I hate when that happens. OUCH in advance and a grovel in your general direction, LM. I'll never dub up again, I swear.

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
eh. that was a joke. I'm pretty laid back about the whole moderator thing. I've deleted nothing but spam, closed noone else's thread, and never even considered banning anyone. I'm Mike and MP4D's big stick. They speak softly and I make lots of noise, but never get swung.But don't double post.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That would be "Mike's Big Stick". I see the edit post thingy isn't quite realized as yet or it's my Firefox.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Congrats on the new PDN(s)!It really is a great little device. I originally got it thinking that reading would be 95% of what I did with it, but I'm finding I use it more and more for internet/email every day. Also, secretly getting my solitaire/sudoku fix while my wife sleeps away next to me. ;pHope you enjoy it.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Noobish here with my new PDN although an experienced Windows (aargh!!!), Archos and Samsung Moment guy. Thanks to folks like lawman, blazingwolf, NatetheGreat et al, I've got this thing humming. Looking forward to many more hacks - I've already gotten more than my ~$120 worthof enjoyment.Groveling before the genii although you can't see itdocfreed

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
ahhh children... I remember when this community was 12 people or so, and the pdn contingent was me, nate, and meth trying to figure out why they were recalling the thing...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.