Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
I was at Kohls tonight, buying a vacuum cleaner - lo and beyond, I saw a dark colored Pandigital box advertising a 6 inch Linux-based device named the Pandigital Novel. But, it's an "ePaper" screen, probably similar to the Libre. 2GB of memory, microSD slot (I think), MP3 playback supported. I think it was $179 or $199, which was pretty high for a device like that, imo.I used to own a Libre with "ePaper". It's basically a low power greyscale LCD, like a old Palm device. Interesting, but not to my liking.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have a Libre and like it but my eyes are a little off and the pandigital novel with the backlight is much better. Libre is great for what it is and works fine to me. I've tried other ereaders and the pn is about the best thus far and keeping it :)

·
Registered
180 Posts
[quote name='roebeet;76326]I was at Kohls tonight' date=' buying a vacuum cleaner - lo and beyond, I saw a dark colored Pandigital box advertising a 6 inch Linux-based device named the Pandigital Novel. But, it's an "ePaper" screen, probably similar to the Libre. 2GB of memory, microSD slot (I think), MP3 playback supported. I think it was $179 or $199, which was pretty high for a device like that, imo.I used to own a Libre with "ePaper". It's basically a low power greyscale LCD, like a old Palm device. Interesting, but not to my liking.[/QUOTE'] You beat me to it, roebeet! I have been trying to find info on the gadget, but Google keeps listing May 24 announcements of the original color Novel deal with B&N or updates. Interestingly PD's site, pandigital.net is not responding. Kohl's site is not showing anything about it, only the Color WPDN as usual. I also saw the "Literati" from Sharper Image at the Kohl's, and sharper image it ain't! Looks like a white plank with a screen and afterthought Kindle-like keyboard stuck on the bottom - you could paddle naughty kids with the gizmo (if that were not politically incorrect ;-) ). A review link: Hands-on with Sharper Image's Literati eReader | Fully Equipped - CNET ReviewsWhere does Kohl's dig up these weird gadgets (and equally ridiculous pricing)?

·
Registered
136 Posts
I think there is a place for an e-ink Android tablet. I think MSI is working on one. For ebooks, web, email, calendar, facebook, weather, forums, RSS, etc... I think a device with that kind of readbility and battery life would be kinda cool.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I saw that Sharper Image device, as well - looked it over really quickly and figured that it wasn't worth the $199 or whatever it was being sold for.As for the Libre, I actually liked the device. It's pretty good for the price, and the price just keeps dropping every time I look at it again. My only reason for returning it was to get an actual eInk device, in my case it was the Sony PRS-300. Now I'm debating on a Kindle 3. hmmmmm.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Maybe this explains PanDigital's site being down. Adding information about the reader Roebeet saw at Kohls. If so, I guess they are using some really S L O W manner of updating the site since it's been what, 3 days down now.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Mark Adams;76377]Not the PD Paper-droid. No.We said:
Hey' date=' what's wrong with Kohls? They price matched against a SEARS sale, AND they added 15% off because I used my Kohl's card. And instant extended warranty, thanks to their liberal return policies. I actually spent too much time on this forum, but that's another story.
sifon187;76388' said:
I cannot find anything online talking about it though. Are you sure it was a pandigital product and not another's?
Yep. The packaging is almost identical to the white / black Novels, except that it's a darker color. And they even call it a Novel. I gave it a long hard look, as I wasn't sure what they heck it was, at first - sorry I didn't take a pic.E-paper screen (greyscale), with some tactile buttons on the bottom, 6 inches, said Linux on the side, 2GB of memory, I think a microSD slot and MP3 supported. ePaper, assuming it's like the Libre, is not eInk - it's a greyscale LCD screen.What's also interesting is that the device doesn't even show up on Kohls web site. But it was being sold in the B&M store.

·
Registered
180 Posts
[quote name='jackbox;76402]Maybe it was a limited run' date=' they decided against the product and just selling off the stock from the preliminary manufacturing run.[/QUOTE'] At $190 or so, that does not strike me as a sell-off price for non-color. Also, I am in NC and Roebeet's info shows PA, so that is a bit dispersed for dumping. I am guessing this is just another half-assed Pandigital effort (with Kohl's mindless cooperation). If it was $100 range, I would consider sell-off/trial notion more likely, but who knows with their site "under construction" as it shows this morning.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
I agree with rokky 100%. We are pretty far apart, geographically - I bet it's more widespread and we might see adverts as early as this weekend. $179 (which I believe was the sale price) is way too high in the market they are attempting to penetrate. The Kindle 3 is $139, the Libre is $120 or less, and even the Nook is less money. I also remember that it had WiFi and I believe a web browser. But browsing on a greyscale LCD is not the best experience, as you might imagine. It's basically an ereader.I know Kohls overcharges so that was their discounts look better, but even with a 15% coupon this only drops to ~$150. It really needs to be closer to $119, imo.EDIT: Kohls is not too far off from my route to work -- I'll stop in again and get all the details. But no, I ain't buying it! :)

·
Registered
460 Posts
[quote name='derelicte;76635]if they have such a liberal return policy' date=' why not buy it? it won't cost you anything.[IMG]http://www.slatedroid.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif[/IMG][/QUOTE']yes roebeet, be our guinea pig lol

·
Banned
1,115 Posts
Can someone here go and take a picture of the box you must have cam on you cell phone? I had seen 2 other e-reader at Kohl's and a digital photo frame min from PD. Unless this is new item?
sifon187;76419 said:
I am curious to see what the linux based os looks lile. To bad the nearest Kohl's is 150mi's away from me.
I was wondering way you didn't go to Kohl's to get v2. 300 miles total trip ouch

1 - 20 of 101 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.