Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Know nothing of the reader, but I bought a 5 inch screen reader and found it fine for reading but you constantly turn pages :) I have the novel and like it much better though it is heavier and not as nice to hold. Kind of depends on personal choice I'd guess.Also depends on what it does beside books and it she will want to do other things with it.

·
Registered
76 Posts
If just a reader is wanted, the little Aluratek Libre is a nice but basic unit. Gets the job done but won't do anything more than books :) Search Amazon for ereaders and spend an hour reading reviews for more information than you want probably. They may have reviews of the one you are thinking about, also google the model number for further reviews I would guess.

·
Registered
846 Posts
[quote name='nhlmd;91578]Does anybody know anything about this eReader' date=' I thinking about buying one for my wife.[/QUOTE'] there is a thread on it somewhere in this forum.. but I can't find it. You might search some more.It is a monochrome LCD.. not backlit.. not eInk like Nook or Kindle.. not Android.. it is Linux based. Similar to many other ereaders in the $100 range.. I don't recall anything that set this one apart from others that would command a higher price.. so cost may be one of your best ways to figure which is best.

·
Registered
180 Posts
See:url]http://www.slatedroid.com/pandigital-novel-android-tablet-discussion/9343-pandigital-selling-6-inch-epaper-based-novel-sighted-kohls.html[/url]You're welcome.P.S.: It IS E Ink, but they had to call it something different, "E Paper", seemingly due to some sort of copyright issue.Long and short: it is about same dimensions/screen as Sony Touch PRS-600, but the text is slightly fainter (comparing the 2 units I had side by side), and it has more "features" with the openly Linux base (Sony uses Linux, too, but seems to have restricted it more with fewer bell-n-whistles), but overall a weak implementation - more details in my posts to the thread linked above. I took mine back - no regrets yet ;)YMMV - you can take it back, no hassles, if you get it from Kohl's (or BB&B, if any around you have it - ours do not), so try it, and see what you think. Couple of nice points is that it is about half the weight of the color WPDN model, and charges via the USB port, but the WPDN is sooo much nicer for less money with typical discounts at Kohl's and BB&B.That said, I think it is way overpriced at anything over $100 - you could well find a Sony PRS-600 on clearance for less than the 170-190 Kohl's has been asking (before any discounts) - or even consider the new 650 or 350, which both have the improved "Pearl" E Ink that the Kindle 3 has, and which has a definitely clearer, "brighter" text display than the older Sony models. I would think all the PDN models will wind up on clearance right after Christmas, and will be "orphans" soon for support I suspect - the Android tablet bar is being raised almost weekly now, and dedicated eReaders are right behind. The WPDN, at least, will still be a nice "basic" Android color tablet with all the useful hacks available from this forum/wiki, but it will just become an even better bargain.FWIW

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for the info I went ahead and bought paid $40 for brand new not sure where he got it.

·
Registered
180 Posts
nhlmd;91623 said:
Thank you for the info I went ahead and bought paid $40 for brand new not sure where he got it.
Wow! That sounds like a clearance price now - the future arrives ever sooner ...For that price, I might consider getting another one for longer term hack attempts. Please find where that was obtained, and let us know. I was just in Kohl's today, and it was still at the ridiculous level of nearly $200.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Pandigital Novel 6" Personal eReader - U.S.
Model Number: PRD06E20WWH8 / White 6 Inch

Hello.

I managed to find a used Pandigital Novel 6" Personal eReader for $1.99 and would like to find a link to an online copy of the Quick Start Quide. If anyone can provide a copy, I would very much appreciate it.

thanks,

Michael

·
Registered
3 Posts
Pandigital Novel 6" Personal eReader - U.S.
Model Number: PRD06E20WWH8 / White 6 Inch

Hello.

I managed to find a used Pandigital Novel 6" Personal eReader for $1.99 and would like to find a link to an online copy of the Quick Start Quide. If anyone can provide a copy, I would very much appreciate it.

thanks,

Michael
I bought two or three of these same 6" ereader units (Model # PRD06E20WWH8) when they were on sale recently for $30 and I would like to know if they can be hacked like other Pandigital devices. I understand from doing a little research here that they are not running Android but rather some version of Linux (I know Android has Linux bits underneath) but I want to be able to at least get a root shell or terminal open so I can dig around underneath the default UI that it comes with.

Any additional information is most appreciated.
--
Steve

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Get the FW from the Pandigital mirror site, unzip it and begin to take a look. Maybe you will come up with something. As for most in this forum, we are dealing with the WPDN.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought two or three of these same 6" ereader units (Model # PRD06E20WWH8) when they were on sale recently for $30 and I would like to know if they can be hacked like other Pandigital devices. I understand from doing a little research here that they are not running Android but rather some version of Linux (I know Android has Linux bits underneath) but I want to be able to at least get a root shell or terminal open so I can dig around underneath the default UI that it comes with.

Any additional information is most appreciated.
--
Steve
I bought one at $30 for a beach reading device (so I don't get sand in my kindle). With Calibre software, this isn't a bad little device. I wonder if it would be possible to put an android flavor on it that would support the kindle android app.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Picked one up for $25 from 1 Sale a Day. Ben's Outlet Has them for the same price. I am having trouble getting music into the unit. Tried loading a playlist, shows on the computer screen but only one song shows in the music folder. Any ideas out there?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have used my Pandigital 6" for 3 years now as a song book and regular book reader. As long as you do not ask much of it it will run forever. I mainly used it instead of my nook when I am going places I might destroy the nook. So far it has survived heat cold and wet that have killed other devices around me. Not however much use for a hack as it is so simple in its hardware.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Dear forum members:

Do you know of any site that has the newest firmware for Pandigital Novel 6" ePaper e-reader (not an android) the pandigital site is no more.

Thanks
dilsiam

1 - 19 of 19 Posts