Android Tablets Forum banner
201 - 220 of 248 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #201 ·
Is it possible to partition the internal memory.I know it is dangerous but.....
internal partitions are locked, if you launch fdisk or gparted in ubuntu they will wait forever trying to access internal partitions data.. the only way would be placing a maximum 4GB (fat32 limit) filesystem into a file in internal partition and try to mount it at boot and run from .img file... but 4GB is a hardlimit and i don't think it would be much more snappier (more dangerous for sure as it will exhaust in time nand write capability for a non replaceable nand memory... uSDs are cheap and easy to change.. maybe they have even better max write number than internal nand)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi Imayoda,

I've been looking into the dualboot process on other devices and found this pseudo-dualboot thing for the transformer pad.
Would this also be possible on our device? As far as I understand the Ubuntu kernel would replace the android kernel via CWM flash and the other way around. I think it's a more convenient way of switching between OS's, especially when you're "on the go" and don't have access to a computer/notebook.
I would try this myself, but considering my lack of knowledge I thought I ask someone who has a bit more insight in these matters before I break stuff

PS. Before I forget, V5 runs very smooth but I get a lot of X crashes, haven't look into it yet but it could be bluetooth related because most of the time it happens when I type on my bluetooth keyboard. I'm currently trying to get that damn thing to work with android but native HID support seems to be non existent

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #203 ·
Hi Imayoda,

I've been looking into the dualboot process on other devices and found this pseudo-dualboot thing for the transformer pad.
Would this also be possible on our device? As far as I understand the Ubuntu kernel would replace the android kernel via CWM flash and the other way around. I think it's a more convenient way of switching between OS's, especially when you're "on the go" and don't have access to a computer/notebook.
I would try this myself, but considering my lack of knowledge I thought I ask someone who has a bit more insight in these matters before I break stuff

PS. Before I forget, V5 runs very smooth but I get a lot of X crashes, haven't look into it yet but it could be bluetooth related because most of the time it happens when I type on my bluetooth keyboard. I'm currently trying to get that damn thing to work with android but native HID support seems to be non existent
very different behaviour in any tablet.. x crashes reported by you for the first time

at this time i'm in other problems kernel related.. dual boot can be achieved from CWM but don't know when it will be up and ready

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thanks for the reply.

I will look into those crashes if I got some spare time. It`s good to hear that dualboot with CWM is possible since ROM`s and Kernel get updated pretty frequently and I`m sure most people (myself included) download them via hannspad and not PC, thus CWM is kind of a must have if your using both OS`s. But not to push you or anything, it was just a thought I had the other day. Really appriciate your work so far, thanks again.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Excellent.

On a class 10, with Xubuntu, it runs flawlessly. Touchscreen and virtual keyboard are surprisingly responsive.

This gives me a more versatile usage of my tablet, because with aptitude and all the backported software to ARM platform...

Ok, as a daily usage, i think Android is better (apps and way of use).

Kudos Imayoda !

·
Registered
1 Posts
hi all, some weeks ago my internal memory damaged, and only recovery work but i cant flash any rom. Now i try to install ubuntu, i flash boot, copy files on my sd card with ext3 file system, but ubuntu loading stops on string mmc0: SDIO new card at address 0001.Can some one help me?

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #207 ·
hi all, some weeks ago my internal memory damaged, and only recovery work but i cant flash any rom. Now i try to install ubuntu, i flash boot, copy files on my sd card with ext3 file system, but ubuntu loading stops on string mmc0: SDIO new card at address 0001.Can some one help me?
untar files in sd card being superuser and all will be ok in most cases... but i think it hangs on hardware adressing internal nand ..

what damage has your memory? have you tried a NVFLASH nand restore ?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hello,

I followed the procedure in the first page of this topic (http://www.slatedroid.com/index.php?app=core&module=search&do=search&andor_type=&sid=956797a85a22c89d7705869a1084068e&search_term=hannspad&search_app=forums&st=25).
I used the version 4, because I have to use openmamba on my Hannspree tablet..But I bricked the tablet, when I put the bootv4.img in my tablet.
If I hold "POWER+SOUND(+)", if I hold "POWER+SOUND(-)" or if I press only "POWER", the tablet start with APX mode...I just tried to put on my tablet (with nvflash) the backup of 11 partitions but without success.

Can anyone help me,please???

Thanks

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #209 ·
Hello,

I followed the procedure in the first page of this topic (http://www.slatedroid.com/index.php?app=core&module=search&do=search&andor_type=&sid=956797a85a22c89d7705869a1084068e&search_term=hannspad&search_app=forums&st=25).
I used the version 4, because I have to use openmamba on my Hannspree tablet..But I bricked the tablet, when I put the bootv4.img in my tablet.
If I hold "POWER+SOUND(+)", if I hold "POWER+SOUND(-)" or if I press only "POWER", the tablet start with APX mode...I just tried to put on my tablet (with nvflash) the backup of 11 partitions but without success.

Can anyone help me,please???

Thanks
probability to be a brick is lower than 0.0001%

if APX mode is available then you are able to restore to any version.. but first:
You should use directly openmamba kernel, it's included with openmamba fs image on openmamba repo
I haven't tested ubuntu ports with openmamba filesystem, however 4 and 5 version should work well..
Suggestions:
Apx mode is very sensible to bad usb cables, bad usb ports... had some troubles even on my current setup.
Be carefull to not mismatch bin bootloader files, they contain several info apx mode needs.. and so do it with partition numbers.

Are you getting messages from nvflash trying to restore partitions ??

·
Registered
14 Posts
probability to be a brick is lower than 0.0001%

if APX mode is available then you are able to restore to any version.. but first:
You should use directly openmamba kernel, it's included with openmamba fs image on openmamba repo
I haven't tested ubuntu ports with openmamba filesystem, however 4 and 5 version should work well..
Suggestions:
Apx mode is very sensible to bad usb cables, bad usb ports... had some troubles even on my current setup.
Be carefull to not mismatch bin bootloader files, they contain several info apx mode needs.. and so do it with partition numbers.

Are you getting messages from nvflash trying to restore partitions ??
I've restored my tablet this morning with nvflash! The result was good, but now:
with "VOL UP+POWER" I go to APX mode,
with "VOL DOWN+POWER" I go to Recovery mode
with "POWER" starts OS (Android)!

That's ok!

Now...I've tried to put on the tablet the bootv5.img (with nvflash) (I think that my USB port is ok and I've used a new USB cable, this new cable is also shorter than the old one), the result is:
with "VOL DOWN+POWER" I go to Recovery mode, but the new OS (openmamba) doesn't start and there isn't any written on screen ("recovery key detected")
with "POWER" doesn't start OS (Android) (I think that's normal)!

On the SD Card I've exploded the file "Openmamba_rootfs" in the first partition, the second is FAT32 partition and I haven't used SWAP partition.

What's wrong???

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #211 ·
I've restored my tablet this morning with nvflash! The result was good, but now:
with "VOL DOWN+POWER" I go to Recovery mode
with "POWER" starts OS (Android)!

That's ok!

Now...I've tried to put on the tablet the bootv5.img (with nvflash) (I think that my USB port is ok and I've used a new USB cable, this new cable is also shorter than the old one), the result is:
with "VOL DOWN+POWER" I go to Recovery mode, but the new OS (openmamba) doesn't start and there isn't any written on screen ("recovery key detected")
with "POWER" doesn't start OS (Android) (I think that's normal)!

On the SD Card I've exploded the file "Openmamba_rootfs" in the first partition, the second is FAT32 partition and I haven't used SWAP partition.

What's wrong???
Presence of Recovery means that kernel wasn't installed correctly (it is not present at all) ... when you install kernel for linux actually you loose recovery and in fact to boot ubuntu/openmamba you have to activate recovery that is replaced by kernel for linux.
Exploded filesystem will be a concern when you'll see kernel lines launching.
So, you have to look why it doesn't install kernel on former-recovery partition.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Presence of Recovery means that kernel wasn't installed correctly (it is not present at all) ... when you install kernel for linux actually you loose recovery and in fact to boot ubuntu/openmamba you have to activate recovery that is replaced by kernel for linux.
Exploded filesystem will be a concern when you'll see kernel lines launching.
So, you have to look why it doesn't install kernel on former-recovery partition.
What is the procedure to install the kernel openmamba on the tablet?

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #216 ·
When I launch the previous command, the nvflash messages are in the attached picture.
it is correct .. kernel has been installed. Now if you start power+vol+ it doesn't boot in linux kernel ??

second option, if you have android and root on it, installing kernel can be made from android shell directly with:

Code:
su<br />
flash_image recovery /sdcard/bootv5.img
you have to put bootv5.img in internal sdcard

·
Registered
14 Posts
it is correct .. kernel has been installed. Now if you start power+vol+ it doesn't boot in linux kernel ??

second option, if you have android and root on it, installing kernel can be made from android shell directly with:

Code:
su<br />
flash_image recovery /sdcard/bootv5.img
you have to put bootv5.img in internal sdcard

If I start "power + vol+", I go to recovery mode.

Which app can I install to use android shell?

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #218 ·
If I start "power + vol+", I go to recovery mode.

Which app can I install to use android shell?
terminal emulator...

your situation is very strange, I think we are missing something.

however from android shell you have easy peasy kernel installation or recovery restoration, let me know if it works so I can investigate further on your issue

·
Registered
14 Posts
terminal emulator...

your situation is very strange, I think we are missing something.

however from android shell you have easy peasy kernel installation or recovery restoration, let me know if it works so I can investigate further on your issue
How can I have superuser access?

I've found this guide (http://www.slatedroid.com/topic/20232-guide-hannspad-rooting-updated-august-4th-2011/) but I cannot download the file from http://blair.be!

What can I miss?
What I did was:

1.Prepare micro-SDcard (16GB - 10 class):
I've made 2 partitions:
First: EXT3/EXT4 (I've tried too many tests) with openmamba ("tar xf /path/of/download/openmamba-rootfs-snapshot.i586.tar.xz" to explode the OS into right partition)
Second: FAT32 (with nothing on it)

2.Backup with nvflash using "backup_hannspad_v2"

3.Put the img file (bootv5.img) on 11 partition ("nvflash --bl bootloader.bin --download 11 bootv5.img").
[First time: I've used "nvflash --bl bootloader.bin --read 11 recovery-backup.img" and "nvflash --resume --download 11 boot.img --go" and my tablet go in APX mode in all keys combinations. I restore the tablet with "Recovery-SN10T1-1.2.1-4789".]

4.Power+VolUP(+) ---> recovery mode

It seems to be an easy procedure.

Do you think that we're missing somethink?

201 - 220 of 248 Posts