Android Tablets Forum banner
61 - 80 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
works great! I am a medium level user. Took me a few hours to figure everything out and run everything. Got the 'new planet' from Kohls. It has Gingerbread. Used my own SD card. FUN!
Thanks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
So a friend picked up the star tablet. He's a noob to android I've searched all of my favorite forums and Google looking for root access and all I find is the white novel and nova. He hasn't told me if its on gb or not. So i don't know that I can use gingerbreak. Will this exploit work on the star? If not could some one point me in the right direction of a exploit,gapps,rom? Thanks so much in advance guys.

·
Registered
113 Posts
So a friend picked up the star tablet. He's a noob to android I've searched all of my favorite forums and Google looking for root access and all I find is the white novel and nova. He hasn't told me if its on gb or not. So i don't know that I can use gingerbreak. Will this exploit work on the star? If not could some one point me in the right direction of a exploit,gapps,rom? Thanks so much in advance guys.
I don't think we've seen a single Star owner around here as yet, so there are no ROMs, etc. I don't believe that the Star runs GB - it's most likely on 2.2.1. You might want to try some of the things that worked on the original Planet which also ran 2.2.1. Look for z4root version 1.3.0 for starters, and some of the earlier GApps threads in the Planet section as well. No guarantees any of these will work, but it's worth a try.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm finally finding the basic info that helps me understand rooting for my device. Only linux experience has been with satellite receivers.

I'm having "flashbacks" (intended). My first rom mod was on the first palm pilot which lived in many incarnations for a long time. The techniques outlined here seem a bit clearer than the old HTC Windows Mobile surgery that was a lot more dicey. (But fun) Hope I'm not getting to old for this. Bought my first computer in 1979!

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
I don't think we've seen a single Star owner around here as yet, so there are no ROMs, etc. I don't believe that the Star runs GB - it's most likely on 2.2.1. You might want to try some of the things that worked on the original Planet which also ran 2.2.1. Look for z4root version 1.3.0 for starters, and some of the earlier GApps threads in the Planet section as well. No guarantees any of these will work, but it's worth a try.
GB 1.2 should work on the Star. It is supposed to have 2.3.1 on it. But even if it is 2.2 Gb works on the Flytouch 3 with 2.2. Universal Androot is another option if it is 2.2 if GB doesn't work.

If anybody come reading this forum and is considering a Nova or Star, don't. For the few extra Dollars the Supernova is a much better option in features, build and performance. There is one dev making performance mods for it. It looks like the GUI might be locked down ala Nextbook so a full ROM or hybrid mod may not be coming anytime soon, but still a much better deal for the dollar. I think the Supernova is only $20 dollars more than the Nova and $30 more than the Star.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Help[ i got my pandigital today from amazon i have been trying since 1 pm cst its now 7pm cst to get the pd to go into recovery it wont go i have followd the directions to the letter moved them arouund and still nada some one please help id like to give this to my dad dut i need to put the kindle app on it Thanks

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
ok i finally see what the differance is i cant get past the boot loader it wont go into a recovery mode any one know a work around this?? thanks
Which do you have? Amazon sells the Supernova, the Planet, and the Novel. If it is the Supernova Gingerbreak 1.2 will root it. But you don't need to root it to get Kindle.

·
Registered
4 Posts
i have the novel i tried installing the apk for both google books and amazon it wont install it wont do anything i ask it kinda like a teenager i reinstalled the firmware it did that fine help me root this thing before i loose what lil mine this old man has left lol

·
Registered
1,667 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Thanks to Fewt for risking his Tablet for testing; I have successfully been able to root the NOVA!!

I have created a flashable zip that should do the trick.

Disclaimer:
I DO NOT take responsibility for any Bricked devices. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!

Make sure there are NO other firmware updates on your SDcard OR on the Novas Internal drive!!!

Instructions for Flashing OpenNOVA-ROOT.zip
  • Download OpenNova-ROOT-Spz0-v.1.0.update.zip to the root of your sdcard.
  • Reboot to recovery (Vol. Up + Power)
  • Press Vol. Up until "Apply update from SDCard"
  • Choose OpenNova-ROOT-Spz0-v.1.0.update.zip.
  • Apply update (Vol. Down).
  • Reboot
  • Profit!!

Download OpenNova-ROOT-Spz0-v.1.0.update.zip
This zip file works flawlessly on the Pandigital Star ( Model R70B200 ). The Instructions just need a little changing.

• Download OpenNova-ROOT-Spz0-v.1.0.update.zip to the root of your sdcard or the media partition.
  • Rename OpenNova-ROOT-Spz0-v.1.0.update.zip to update.zip.
  • Reboot to recovery (Vol. Up + Power)
  • Select the Source of the Update by pressing Vol. Up.
    • If you have the update on the SDCard, The option is: "Apply update from SDCard"
    • If you have the update on the media partition, The option is: "Apply update from media partition"
  • Apply update (Vol. Down).
  • Reboot
  • Profit!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
ok now back to the Nova, since the latest update,the home screen fix does not work anymore, and since it's for my kid and he would have no clue how to get back to the home screen i have reupdated the new update (just to try) and it removed super user and all the google apps,for now i have a few good replacement markets (amazon,1click,applanet)that i can for the most part get what i want without rooting but it would be nice to have all the google services.

does anyone have any updates for this ?

thank you, steve

·
Registered
4 Posts
Does this still work on current firmware? I'm running the 12/15/11 firmware update and I'd like to know if I can use this to root the device and get the google android market on there.

·
Advanced Shoe Gum Member
428 Posts
Broken link in OP post fixed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have tried this but I am getting the error
E:failed to open /sdcard/update.zip (no such file or directory)
E:signature verification failed
Installation aborted

Any ideas? I have formatted the SD card and removed any updates on the tablet I have found.

61 - 80 of 94 Posts