Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Advanced Shoe Gum Member
428 Posts
Thanks to Fewt for risking his Tablet for testing; I have successfully been able to root the NOVA!!

I have created a flashable zip that should do the trick.

Disclaimer:
I DO NOT take responsibility for any Bricked devices. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!

Make sure there are NO other firmware updates on your SDcard OR on the Novas Internal drive!!!

Instructions for Flashing OpenNOVA-ROOT.zip
  • Download OpenNova-ROOT-Spz0-v.1.0.update.zip to the root of your sdcard.
  • Reboot to recovery (Vol. Up + Power)
  • Press Vol. Up until "Apply update from SDCard"
  • Choose OpenNova-ROOT-Spz0-v.1.0.update.zip.
  • Apply update (Vol. Down).
  • Reboot
  • Profit!!

Download OpenNova-ROOT-Spz0-v.1.0.update.zip

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks to Fewt for risking his Nova for testing; I have successfully been able to root the NOVA!!

I have created a flashable zip that should do the trick.

Disclaimer:
I DO NOT take responsibility for any Bricked devices. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!

Instructions for Flashing OpenNOVA-ROOT.zip
  • Download OpenNova-ROOT-Spz0-v.1.0.update.zip to the root of your sdcard.
  • Rename to update.zip
  • Reboot to recovery (power + Vol. Up)
  • Press Vol. Down until "Apply update.zip"
  • Apply update.
  • Reboot
  • Profit!!

Download OpenNova-ROOT-Spz0-v.1.0.update.zip

This has been tested on ONE Nova so far, so Im listing it as BETA.
You da man - thanks! Now how do we get google apps on it?

·
Premium Member
7,365 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Root and Google apps worked beautifully on my Nova! Thanks again!

A couple things, though: Volume up is to scroll and volume down is select. Renaming the file is no longer needed. Just select "apply update from sdcard", then find the file you need to flash. It doesn't even have to be on the root of the sdcard.

·
Advanced Shoe Gum Member
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Root and Google apps worked beautifully on my Nova! Thanks again!

A couple things, though: Volume up is to scroll and volume down is select. Renaming the file is no longer needed. Just select "apply update from sdcard", then find the file you need to flash. It doesn't even have to be on the root of the sdcard.
Great to know! I'll make the revision.

·
Registered
10 Posts
CIFS Support ?

Cudos both to Fewt and Spz0 for providing root !

Got my Nova at Best Buy in San Jose, CA a couple of days ago and already rooted and Google Apps installed !

After play a video on my NAS via SAMBA and ES player it was a little jerky and had several restarts. On my android phone I
use CIFSManager to connect and videos play flawlessly(had to install the cifs.ko module compiled from the kernel source).

Was wondering if any of the Tech wizard can provide instruction or the compiled binary ?

If it would help I, found this reference to the kernel source from the board hardware manufacturer :

http://openlinux.amlogic.com/wiki/index.php/Arm/Platform_Info/Information_for_8726M/Build_system_for_8726M_Howto

Thanks-in-advance

·
Registered
12 Posts
Both root and Google Apps worked like a charm!

I can also confirm nghiaxp's comments, having owned a WPDN it's nice not having to worry about multiple update files all of the time.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for the hard work making the Nova accessible. I do have a slight newb problem though. I cannot boot into recovery mode by holding down the power and volume up. I did update to the latest firmware this morning and i am not sure it this has any impact. Any help would be "muchos appriciatados"!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Thanks for the hard work making the Nova accessible. I do have a slight newb problem though. I cannot boot into recovery mode by holding down the power and volume up. I did update to the latest firmware this morning and i am not sure it this has any impact. Any help would be "muchos appriciatados"!
Try holding volume down while powering on rather than volume up.

·
Registered
2 Posts
D'oh! Thanks. The directions did say to hold the down volume, but upon further reading in the manual it said 3 seconds with the power and volume up. Also the easiest way to know when to release the buttons is when the Pandigital screen flashes on.

·
Registered
1 Posts
hey everyone,
I picked up the pandigital nova 7 and i copied the zip file to a sdcard and when i tried to boot to the installer screen i keep getting it loading the old 7/2011 file,which is the stock file .is there something i am doing wrong,i hold the power and vol up key till the pd screen comes on and i let go and it doesnt ask to install from sdcard,it goes right to other file.is there a certain way to put file on sdcard or do i have to unzip it prior? the device seems very nice ,albeit its my 1st e-reader tablet.i have about 12 days to decide if i want to keep it,got at best buy.so if i can root it i think i will.any suggestions or help would be great.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all. Another complete newby here too. Still trying to follow the instructions and feeling like a dope. Got the file copied to the SD card, installed in the Nova, little Android guy out of the box says installation complete but that's as far as it goes.Did the reboot but nothing pops up to scroll down/up to. I'm missing something somewhere. Can you please repeat the process for us pre-schoolers? Go very, very slow and use small words. Ever so thankful.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm a newbie with Android. I just got a Nova, and am happy with it. Why would I want to root it? So far, I've found all the software I was looking for on the web, and downloaded it to the Nova or my computer and transfered it the SD card.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm a newbie with Android. I just got a Nova, and am happy with it. Why would I want to root it? So far, I've found all the software I was looking for on the web, and downloaded it to the Nova or my computer and transfered it the SD card.
Rooting means you have to access the software. meaning you can customize your tablet to the fullest.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Rooting is also required by some applications - like Titanium Backup. Without root you lose function. So it greatly depends on what you're planning to do with your Nova.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Thanks to Spz0 and fewt for their outstanding feat of rooting Nova. I'm out of different camp, namely Ainol Novo 8, and I'm keenly interested in exciting developments for your device, as I believe the similarities between two units could be fruitful for both. I state exactly that in my blog.

P.S. Say hello to Mark Adams, haven't seen him here for a while, lol

1 - 20 of 94 Posts