Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
The OpenBricks team recently announced that they have a version for the Tegra 2 Harmony development board. This release is not compatible with the g-tablet. But it has raised some interest in the possibility of making a version that would run on the tablet. I started this thread to provide a place for this to be discussed.

I had previously worked with the OpenBricks devs to work out the bugs in building the Tegra version. I did get the Tegra version to build (eventually), but I sold my g-tablet and lost interest. Since I had a working build environment, and some experience in building it, I offer my assistance to anyone who wants to pursue this further.

Last night I tried to download and build OpenBricks, as I had done before. The build system will identify the packages that you have chosen, download the source, and build it. My build got stuck on downloading the source for binutils, from the kernel repository. I attribute this to the fact that the kernel repository was hacked into a few weeks ago, and is currently offline. If this is to proceed, a work-around needs to be found. The OpenBricks devs may need to sort this one out.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Keep an eye on the 2.6.38 and 2.6.36 thread in this section, that kernel should boot this with minimal changes. In fact my xubuntu boot.img might work with just a different ramdisk.

·
Registered
84 Posts
To build OpenBricks I used Ubuntu Linux. You need a few base programs installed:

Code:
sudo apt-get install build-essential mercurial
You can then download the source.

Code:
hg clone [URL=http://hg.openbricks]http://hg.openbricks[/URL].org/openbricks
There is a pre-configured config file for the tegra harmony. First. change to the openbricks folder:

Code:
cd openbricks
Now load the config file:

Code:
./scripts/loadcfg geexbox-xbmc-tegra2-harmony
After that, you can tweak the config by using this command:

Code:
make menuconfig
I think that you may need ncurses installed to run that command, I forget.
Save the file and run the "make" command. If you are lucky, it will run for several hours.

Good luck!!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Last night I tried to download and build OpenBricks, as I had done before. The build system will identify the packages that you have chosen, download the source, and build it. My build got stuck on downloading the source for binutils, from the kernel repository. I attribute this to the fact that the kernel repository was hacked into a few weeks ago, and is currently offline. If this is to proceed, a work-around needs to be found. The OpenBricks devs may need to sort this one out.
I found a work-around for this, in the OpenBricks forum:

Unable to build target due to the 'make' processes dependency on the kernel.org ftp server, that has been down for over a week.

Please advise to a patch so the GIT repo can be used.
This can be done by specifying PKG_URL_PROTO=git in meta file.
See packages/vdr-live/meta as an example how to do so.
I had to do something like this before. The problem is in finding the kernel GIT repository, Google doesn't seem to come up with anything. Anyone know where the kernel GIT repository is?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Using. make -j4 instead of just make will greatly speedup the build.
Actually, I have a quad-core, so I was using make -j8. When I started having build problems the devs asked for me to cut back on the cores used. The default in the config file is to use 3.

I think that I found the kernel GIT repo. But it means manually editing the META file for each package that requires it. And you won't know that until the build fails. I found three GIT addresses:

git clone git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git linux-2.6
git clone git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git linux-git
git clone git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/stable/stable-queue.git

Not sure which to use.

EDIT: It looks like the GIT repo is offline too!!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
FYI, the number after the 4 refers to threads not cores.
I know, that is why I used -j8. I guess that I meant threads, not cores.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts