Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apad users, I need your help. To support my intentions, please sign your username and reply to this thread. This will let the admins know. I am trying to get them to hand over moderator, and also subforum arrangement powers to the Apad section, which is currently an unmoderated mess. gevrik has not been around. For the short duration of time that I was a supermoderator (because they screwed up the vbulletin permissions), I was actively moving posts and rearranged the Apad forum to be more usable. In fact, almost all of the sticky posts you see in this section are a result of my work. When I had access to the mod/admin board, I repeated requested for admins to give me the ability to move and add subforums, as the Slatedroid forum arrangement was a big mess. I was quite happy with the way the Apad forums was. One of the admins decided to kick me off the moderator list for reasons unknown to me, and ever since then the Apad forums have been largely unmoderated. Luckily, my stickies and forum arrangements have been working, and the Apad forums are still somewhat usable even today. After they changed servers, they haphazardly deleted the Applications section, and merged the user experience section into what is now the forum I'm currently posting in. I have lost track of the number of times I have PM'd admins for access to the addition and removal of subforums. I don't reckon that they just forgot about this, because they have been adding sections, and blogging as if we didn't exist. I am writing this as a petition for Apad users to come together so that our experience can be improved. I have been tempted to migrate over to another forum, but the growing userbase here despite the administration make it difficult it hard to simply just leave. They may state that coming to Slatedroid is a privilege, but this isn't just about us using the forums, but also them making a living off our community and hard work. This is a not simply a one sided relationship, and it is fair for both sides to contribute to what they are supposed to. So my request now is simple, I want admins to:1) give us a moderator(s)2) allow us to rearrange the subforums ourselves, or listen to our requests for subforum removal or arrangement. Signed, xaueiousApad owner and ROM cook

· Registered
850 Posts
Yes,please give Xaueious and also RogerBraun Moderator power over the aPad section!Both are great contributors to the section and the Forum in whole.Both showed in many posts that they are responsible persons.Both are so valuable to the scene that you dont want them to resort to only blog their findings.Also please consider that a well moderated forum is a place you realy like to return to. =)(and also it is less work for you!)

· Co-Founder
2,008 Posts
I, and I'm sure a great deal of other people think this too, that the flood of stickies you have created are actually an eyesore on entering the aPad forums. If you had used your moderator privileges to better effect then you might have noticed there being a large discussion in the Mod forum about the layout. The conclusion was that we wanted everything to be as clean as possible. Having to scroll down half a page just to get to the start of conversations is not clean, it's incredibly arduous.You are quite aware of the fact that we have not deleted any content. I have said time and time again that it has been moved to the archive where it is perfectly safe and awaiting being merged back into the main forum.Looking through my inbox I come to find a mere two instances of messages where you have asked to have your privileges elevated. I think both times you'll find that I replied, courteously assuring you that I would do my best to see what I could do for you and that you should wait a day or two before expecting a reply. And yet here we are, a day later, and you've grown impatient and started yet another formal complaint about our apparently lacking moderating skills. Well, that's funny, that says to me that you're quite impatient and I'm just thinking, do we really want someone who can't stand not getting things his own way as a moderator and someone that people look up to? Notice how most people have just avoided your threads of pointless rantings, something a mature person would do. If you were expecting to get a reaction from me about migrating to another forum, well... you'll be sorely disappointed. Do you want to know something? That's exactly the same sort of technique my 5 year old brother uses when he can't get what he wants. Funny, isn't it.I'm terribly sorry, but where do we state that coming to SlateDroid is a privilege? Coming to SlateDroid is our privilege and I think we've made it more than clear that we're honoured to be doing this. We don't make a living off other's hard work, we barely make enough to keep the site running. In fact a fair amount of this site was paid for out of our own pockets. You haven't seen us once ask for donations. In fact that's downright hypocrisy considering the "PM me for a donate link if you ever feel like it." in you signature. I think it's very unfair that you should make it out like we just sit here and let other people do the hard work. I get up at 6:30 every morning and the first thing I do is spend an hour doing maintenance work to ensure that SlateDroid is running smoothly. I then go to work helping to write software for a wireless communications company on minimum wage. The hour that I should be taking off to have lunch is instead spent greeting new people on the introductions board and carrying out further maintenance work. I get back home from work at about 7PM every day, do the math, that's almost a 12 hour day. As soon as I'm home from work I spend two hours studying bass and have dinner. From then on until midnight I am tending to the site. Oh, I'm 17 and still in full-time education by the way.And you know what, I actually consider SlateDroid to be my real job, not software engineering. I sure as hell love every minute of it.If you were trying to rally the troops to overthrow us then know this. It's not going to happen. I think people have come to realize that you really don't like it when you don't get things your way.So I'll say this one more time. You can complain all you like, but as far as I'm concerned you're not welcome here if you are going to be rude and discourteous like you've been ever since the start. You can kick and fuss all you like, but it's not going to shift my opinion of you one but. Have you noticed throughout this whole thing how I've always tried to be polite and helpful towards you, and despite this you have showed nothing but pure disrespect back. I don't give a shit if I'm however many years your junior, I won't stand for you treating me anything less than your equal. If you're going to dispute that fact then I'm sure you'd be quite happy to publish some of the messages that have gone back and forth between us to show just how downright disrespectful you have been.If you don't like our community then that's fine by me, but don't think anyone else is going to give you sympathy for these shows of pure immaturity you are giving us.We could grow to a million members, bit to me, SlateDroid will always be the collection of genuinely wonderful people who hung out on a Google Groups page playing around with the lowest, cheapest piece of junk China had to offer. And there's nothing you can do that will change that small and simple fact.

G

·
I don't know, and am honestly not interested in the personal politics that surround this relationship between xaueious, Mike and Slatedroid but my sympathies at this moment lie with xaueious.This forum is in need of leadership and Mikes points aside, I can think of few people who could bring more to the table than xaueious, not only for the aPad sub-forum but for the Slatedroid project as a whole:- He is experience with a lot of Android devices and make informative and interesting YouTube content to this end- He is an active developer which, a few months on, is a rarity (kudos going out to the Debian and Windows CE M001 devs and ECOTOX also)- He is working on the aPad even though his screen is broken [this is a periphery point but nonetheless shows his minor dedication]- His knowledge and contribution to threads and the community are MASSIVE, he can literally be attributed with carrying Slatedroid part of the way it has come, without the FW devs this community would not exist at this level- Most importantly - HE IS VOLUNTEERING - this is such a hard thing to find. I, at another time, would have also volunteered my skills but I simply don't have the patience for it these days and compromised to offering Mike was suggestions and guidances on the server switch over. Most of my points were taken on board and implemented in some form but, time permitting I am sure, the manpower to doing everything the way the admins want it probably is not there. Volunteers drive these things.For what it is worth I will also point out that, for a site this size, it could be quite easily funded and ran on a purely Google Adsense platform and that for the most part you guys should not have to be digging into your pockets. If this is such an annoyance I suggest you acquire a package that is less expensive but that can easily meet the needs of the site and allowing for future development. The advertising deals with the partners you have announced and incorporated into the site are great and I hope that this will serve primarily to benefit the content of the site (what you really need a review devices provided so that comprehensive reviews and specs can be dumped into the Wiki).Therefore I endorse xaueious' request for a leadership position.

· Registered
936 Posts
Regardless of what was said here, there are people here who are trying to help, I being one of them. I don't even care if you give me admin rights or not, as long as someone is there who can help, especially with regards recommendations for devices. I just want someone to clean up the mess. I happen to have free time and just want to help. You can publish all my PMs if you like if you think this helps clarify anything. I don't believe I ever did the community a disservice thus far with my actions and contributions. Here's the way I see it right now. I look at something, make my analysis, and I post my request for change. If it is not done, and in its place I see something done that is of lower importance, I start making thinking of the reasons of why it wasn't done when it is clear to me that there should be no other better course of action. I have used forum software packages before, and I know how things are simply a click of a button away. If I was the administrator, I would have done it right away. Otherwise I would say that I have no time to do it. I would at least analyze the situation, and then proceed with either a reply or with appropriate action. I would not go off and spend my time doing something completely irrelevant and of less value to the community. I have made multiple requests, to MP4Doggie in particular, and have been ignore completely. It was my mistake to make quick accusations as to why you guys act the way you do. I now realize you guys are young, and I perhaps should have changed my tone to properly reason with you. But even with your latest reply, I still have a vivid image of your team's prideful attitude. This was why I made my accusations against the admin team. It was not targeted towards you individually, Mike. I personally feel that you have been the most reasonable and understanding out of the three administrators here. I am picky with things like this because I'm an engineer by education. My nature is to be as meticulous with my work as possible. The majority of my work is to ensure things work right, and that things are primed to optimal conditions. Orphan electronics is the most recent example of bullshit I have encountered here, yet was powerless to try to resolve. My intention was simple: that people don't get misled. And I believe there should be a degree of urgency to that, because I certainly would not want to lose money and end up with a product that I would regret. I'd admit that may be my fault, and I have to learn how to communicate better, especially via the internet. I do not like to see things not done the way I want because I think it makes sense, not because I just enjoy commanding other people. This has been a good learning experience. Finally, I just want to say that I have no personal aspirations by trying to pressure you guys to take action. At the end of the day, my intentions stand.

· Premium Member
2,271 Posts
So let me see if I am reading this right , he can basically do what he wants, call us liars and cheats .but everyone seems to be ok with that .

· Co-Founder
2,008 Posts
08-04-2010 02:25 PMxaueious Senior Member/FW Developer Join DateMay 2010LocationCanadaPosts588Downloads8Uploads0Rep Power0Re: Admin StatusSure. I actually don't have that much free time but if you give me some rights at least I can make the changes I would like to see.Help me build this list of Slatedroid devices: Known Specifications for Various ARM Devices (Help me out!)I also run a blog for the Apad iRobot: myapad @ WordpressAlso admin at androidtablets forumsPM me for a donate link if you ever feel like it.
Personally I don't see kicking up a major fuss and creating several disruptive threads volunteering.

· Registered
936 Posts
I don't anticipate to have a lot of free time in the future, but I currently have the free time to help. The least you could do is make some sort of announcement asking for help. I am simply not in the position to improve Slatedroid single-handedly.Append: I think there has been enough conflict between us that you would have reasons not give me admin rights, and if I was in your shoes I would fully understand that. Therefore, I ask that you open up the position to other people, so that the proper changes can be made.I want the right changes to be made. I don't care if it has to be me or not. This is not about me, and never was about me.MP4Doggie. You contributions to this thread really aren't helping. I hope you know that. At the end of the day, Slatedroid will not break apart because of this. Yet I see so much more for Slatedroid, only limited by these small yet significant mistakes that are being made.If this post made you guys seriously consider the queries I have raised up, it has done its task.Append 2: I wont commit myself to an internet webpage like I would a full time job. That is an overwhelming task for any individual. But if there was a large team of user moderators and administrators, that would be sufficient.

· Co-Founder
2,008 Posts
This is what's ticking me off. You stir up an absolute shit storm, you've kicked the hornet's nest. And then you tone it down completely.Now my ranting here is unprofessional and so I will cease. But the situation stands like this, it seems evident to me that you are trying to segregate the community and lead them into thinking that the admins here are nothing but evil. This is not so.Quite clearly here is the situation. We have a huge community, and yes, you are right that we cannot manage it by ourselves, that is what mods are there to help with. But you certainly just can't go around making the situation sound so much worse than it actually is.I do try my best to keep a neutral opinion, and it is very hard trying to keep the middle ground when people are duking it out either side of me hurling insults and accusations at one another.For the records there is no doubt as to my 'relationship' with xaueious. Why? Because in my opinion a relationship is not something which constitutes negativity. I am trying my best to serve both parties here and to do so I must retain a positive relationship with both. Which is why I reject claims of a bad relationship.

· Premium Member
2,102 Posts
When did this become a democracy, again? Just checking on that point, because, as I see it Mike = 50% of the vote, and Mp4d = 50% of the vote and... well, you only need that many votes, right?X's contributions are appreciated. Really, X, they are. He's helped me out. He's helped plenty out. But why does he want to moderate a site he has so many bad things to say about?"Finally, I just want to say that I have no personal aspirations by trying to pressure you guys to take action. At the end of the day, my intentions stand. " That quote is sort of funny, being that this is a thread to ... force them ... to ... make you a moderator... See?it is understood that this board needs a mod. Maybe we do a reality show - "who wants to be a moderator..."

· Co-Founder
2,008 Posts
This thread will also be getting closed down soon. Not because I want to silence anyone, but because there are a certain few people who really need to sit down and discuss things thoroughly and which needn't be broadcast to the whole world for any more time than necessary. So, let us sit down and discuss. I'm going to be upfront here and make it clear that if you are to even be considered then the accusations need to stop. Period.

· Registered
193 Posts
Mike I had no idea you were 17 as immarerial as that is. At 17 I was running major networks. Anyway you own this board, it's not a democracy or a republic. I think your doing angled job here. Come on guys the board is free. I don't see anyone forcing there way in as admin as working with the people who own this board. We don't own it we are guests. It is a board about slates that barely function so get over it and get a life. If all you want ro do is bitch, start your own board. My 2cents worth. Thanks mike for all the help here.without this board my m001 would be a paperweight.

· Co-Founder
2,008 Posts
You're a valued member here, and you know that, that's why you can get away with murder. But there has to be a line because right now you're pissing on our fire so to speak.What I'm saying is that you have an attitude problem. Perhaps if in a week's time you started to show some signs of restraint then we might re-consider. But right now we are not at all happy to be letting on someone who has caused so much disturbance in such a short space of time.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.