Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 20 of 125 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,242 Posts
This thread is for the discussion of General Topics and Specs for the Ramos W30HD
Link: Merimobiles.com - Onda V812
[hr]

Hello there to anyone swinging by.

I just received the Onda V812.
I haven't even opened the box yet, but it was an unexpected arrival.

Based on the product specs it could really be something special.
I have also always preferred the 8" form factor... as my first tablet that I chose and started this whole ride was the MID816.

I plan to take a better look and start the video review tomorrow.
Stay Tuned!

I have finished and posted the review video and I must say this device operates on a buttery smoothness level that I haven't seen on other tablets.
I haven't tried any super in depth programs, but in general the main interface is very snappy.

MrTasselhof

[hr]

Onda V812 - First Review - A31 Quad Core CPU & 2GB RAM - 8" 4:3 IPS - Purchase: Merimobiles.com
by: MrTasselhof

MrTasselhof - Android 4 - Ultimate Introduction - Initial Setup & Guide - ICS 4.0.X - JB 4.1.X
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HG_PZ7s77r4

[hr]

Informational Links:

Link: Merimobiles.com - Onda V812

Link: Onda Homepage

[hr]

Tech Specs:
  • Warranty:
    • 1 Year, click here for details
  • CPU:
    • Allwinner A31 Quad-core
    • GPU:powerVR SGX544 MP2
    • Android 4.1
  • Memory:
    • 2GB DDR3 Ram,16GB Nandflash built in
    • Extend Memory up to 32GB via micro sd card
  • Screen:
    • 8 inch 5 Points IPS Capacitive Multitouch
    • Resolution: 1024*768
  • Audio:
    • Stereo Speaker
    • 3.5MM headphone jack
    • MP1,MP2,MP3,WMA,OGG,APE,FLAC,WAV,AC3,AAC,AMR,DTS,RA,M4A
  • Video:
    • 1080P,H.264,VC-1,MPEG-2,MPEG4,XviD/DivX,Real 8\9\10,AVI,RM,etc.
    • Video OUT: HDMI
  • Features and highlights:
    • **16GB version**
    • Quad-core processor
    • IPS screen 1024*768
    • Android 4.1
    • Gsensor
    • WiFi 802.11 b/g/n
    • Support extra 3G dongle and Ethernet
    • HDMI port
    • Micro USB2.0/OTG port
    • SKYPE/MSN/QQ
    • Support U disk,mouse,keyboard
    • Multilanguage support
    • Excellent Ebook reader
    • Weather on line
    • Web Browser
    • 3D Games Support
    • Front 0.3MP,5.0MP back
    • HTML5
    • Picture format:pG,JPEG,BMP,GIF,PNG,JFIF
    • 199.8*152.5*9.8mm,469g
  • Camera:
    • Front 0.3MP,5.0MP back
  • Battery:
    • Built-in battery
  • Package Content:
    • Onda V812 16GB
    • USB Cable
    • Charger
    • User Manual
  • Color:
    • Black/White
  • Language:
    • Multilanguage support

·
Premium Member
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So.. I just finished recording the video that will become the review for the device.

I have to say I am LOVING this tablet!
It is the most responsive/buttery smooth tablet I have used to date.
The screen is great and bright.

Overall I think this is going to be phenomenal device and probably move to the top of my preferred list.

Tasselhof

·
Registered
38 Posts
So.. I just finished recording the video that will become the review for the device.

Overall I think this is going to be phenomenal device and probably move to the top of my preferred list.

Tasselhof
Hi Tasselhof

I have also ordered this from Merimobiles and got confirmation on Monday that it had shipped, can you tell me roughly how long it took from shipping confirmation to receipt of the tablet?

Also where can I get a link to the video that you have created? If not posted do you know when you will likely post it?

Have you tried using the current ipad mini, if so can you compare it to the Onda V812 tablet?

Thanks in advance.

Geo

·
Premium Member
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Tasselhof

I have also ordered this from Merimobiles and got confirmation on Monday that it had shipped, can you tell me roughly how long it took from shipping confirmation to receipt of the tablet?

Also where can I get a link to the video that you have created? If not posted do you know when you will likely post it?

Have you tried using the current ipad mini, if so can you compare it to the Onda V812 tablet?

Thanks in advance.

Geo
Hi Geo,

I literally just finished encoding and prepping the review video.
I have put it in my first post.
I can't advise on shipping as I had no clue it was coming, nor did I get a tracking number.
- In the past though when tablets are shipped from China by DHL to me in VA... it takes 3 to 4 days if I remember correctly.

I have very briefly used an iPad Mini... apart from the OS difference of Android to Apple... the V812 is definately bulkier/heavier by comparison. Personally though I haven't found the weight to be of any consequence or issue.

Tasselhof

·
Registered
211 Posts

Tasselhof
Sounds like a sweet tablet. Definitely up for consideration, but might wait for the rockchip devices to come out before I decide.

Just my two cents, but I really hate not having physical volume buttons. Might be a deal breaker for me.
thanks for the video, by the way

·
Premium Member
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sounds like a sweet tablet. Definitely up for consideration, but might wait for the rockchip devices to come out before I decide.

Just my two cents, but I really hate not having physical volume buttons. Might be a deal breaker for me.
thanks for the video, by the way
That use to be an issue for me as well... but since ICS and JB... the volume buttons on the bottom taskbar work perfectly fine.

Tasselhof

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hi Tasselhof

Thanks for the response and the video, the tablet does look really good although it did seem to stick when you tried to 'remove/disable' the app, have you had much of that happening?

When I was asking about the ipad mini I was wondering more about the speed of the performance using the OS, to see if it was similar?

Have you got any tips on the setup with regards to improving battery/performance etc?

Not sure if you'll be able to help but the only other chinese tablet I bought was the ZT-280 C91 which I was quite late in getting so there were quite a lot of ROMS already out there, as you get a lot of tablets early in their life-cycle do you have any idea how long it might be before we might see a ROM for this tablet?

Thanks again for putting the video up so quickly, much appreciated and once I get mine I will put a review up on here to let people know my thoughts.

Geo

·
Premium Member
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Tasselhof

Thanks for the response and the video, the tablet does look really good although it did seem to stick when you tried to 'remove/disable' the app, have you had much of that happening?

When I was asking about the ipad mini I was wondering more about the speed of the performance using the OS, to see if it was similar?

Have you got any tips on the setup with regards to improving battery/performance etc?

Not sure if you'll be able to help but the only other chinese tablet I bought was the ZT-280 C91 which I was quite late in getting so there were quite a lot of ROMS already out there, as you get a lot of tablets early in their life-cycle do you have any idea how long it might be before we might see a ROM for this tablet?

Thanks again for putting the video up so quickly, much appreciated and once I get mine I will put a review up on here to let people know my thoughts.

Geo
Honestly it is hard to say on custom roms... it really depends on the community fully developing.
I think this device has a strong possibility of being very popular and growing.

In regards to the slight delay. I believe that was caused by the market downloading apps in the background.
I have found whenever the market is "working" download/updating/install... android takes a bit of a dump/slows down.
- When I was just removing the chinese junk before using market at the same time... it was liquid smooth.

Tasselhof

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hello I have received my onda v812. In my honest opinion there is nothing the allwinner a31 CPU can do the a rk3066 CPU can't. I have tested them side by side and loading opening and installing apps is faster sometimes on the rk3066. I am very disappointed. Also its reminding me of my old a10 tablets that had trouble with web browsers. I'm hoping a firmware update will make this thing perform as i expected. Antutu scores... a31 over clocked to a max of 1.2 GHz scored 1400s. And the rk3066 (pipo s2) running at 1.6 GHz ran 1100s. But when using them I think the rk3066 CPU is pretty equal. Save your money wait for rk3188 as I should have.

·
Premium Member
2,242 Posts
Hello I have received my onda v812. In my honest opinion there is nothing the allwinner a31 CPU can do the a rk3066 CPU can't. I have tested them side by side and loading opening and installing apps is faster sometimes on the rk3066. I am very disappointed. Also its reminding me of my old a10 tablets that had trouble with web browsers. I'm hoping a firmware update will make this thing perform as i expected. Antutu scores... a31 over clocked to a max of 1.2 GHz scored 1400s. And the rk3066 (pipo s2) running at 1.6 GHz ran 1100s. But when using them I think the rk3066 CPU is pretty equal. Save your money wait for rk3188 as I should have.
I can see your point that the A31 is similar to the RK3066 chipset for performance.
I have found the A31 to be a bit better though in general smoothness with the OS.

At $188 it is a great price for an 8" tablet with these specs.

Will there be better devices in a month or three... sure... there always are... that is just the way the tablet world operates currently.

In terms of your disappointment though... are there things that it can't do that you expected it to be able to?

Just curious.

Tasselhof

·
Registered
125 Posts
Situation: I'm from Germany (Euro/Schuko-Plug, [email protected])

Somewhere I read that you need special AC chargers for chinese tablets. But on the picture I can see, that there is a simple USB-Plug on the one end. So is it possible to use a simple USB charger like the one (2A) from Samsung?
If not, can someone tell me what I need? Maybe a China2EU-Adpater?

·
Registered
436 Posts
You can charge it by your 2 Amp 5V Samsung usb charger. My galaxy tab 7.7 charger works fine for my Onda V812.
Had to say that the Onda usb charger is 2.5 Amp 5V.
Only thing you need is a right adapter for your country, on aliexpress mostly add for free the right adapter to your order.

Reactions: wurstt

·
Registered
68 Posts
the only difference will be on the GPU side ,try to play 4k video on the A31 and do the same on the rk3066 and tell us what happened ....

·
Registered
54 Posts
Mr.tassel
What I mean by dissapointed is that the v812 has no benefit over the rk3066 in any way other then being able to play 4k video which honestly no one even knows about or even has. And this thing definitely has problems with the stock and even chrome browser. My pipo is way better at loading pages. Loading and installing programs is the same if not faster on the rk3066.
To be honest knowing it was a cortex a7 I was hoping for more praise for the battery but this thing is dead in 3 hours. Doing normal stuff web and games. Brightness at 0.
I just wish it wasnt such a pig on battery. If it were dramatically better I would be praising it. But sadly its a BiG fat pig when it comes to battery life. Games do run a bit smoother but only really noticeable in some games. The v812 can be over clocked to 1488 GHz but stalls pretty much in secs at anything over 1200 GHz. It still stalls quite frequently at anything over 1000 ghz . I've even tried under clocking it and changing the governor. Basicly this thing is only smooth because stock it runs between 384-1008 MHz with a govenor called fantasys which pretty much keeps it running at 1008 MHz the whole time your using it.the rk3066 stock runs between 2xx-1600 MHz and govenor is interactive which only peaks when needed so CPU is mainly running at 2xx most of the time.
Sorry for rambling on just my 2 cents. I'm new to forums always used the info from them but I've never posted. Thanks for the oppertunity

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Sorry for rambling on just my 2 cents. I'm new to forums always used the info from them but I've never posted. Thanks for the oppertunity
No worries. That info is very good. I was curious why it had worse battery life with Cortex A7 CPUs. I guess Onda did bad job with their firmware (governor). Surprising, since AllWinner's A10 chip was known for clocking way down (150 or 50 MHz?) and lasting long time on battery because of that.

Makes you wonder how they did it right with A10 chip but not with A31 chip.

The battery issue "might" someday get fixed if AllWinner improves their governor for the tablet. Though choosing RK3066 tablet over A31 seems like the better option today. ie. maybe kernel & firmware will improve for A31 and make it better or maybe it will not.

·
Registered
23 Posts
so where would people recommend i buy one of these then as i'm in the UK, i used Amazon for my Ainol Elf 2 but i messaged the seller and he says he cant get these yet.

is dino direct any good? will run me up about £135 with 7 day DHL shipping, thats about $220.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Mr.tassel Sorry for rambling on just my 2 cents. I'm new to forums always used the info from them but I've never posted. Thanks for the oppertunity
You do not have to say sorry to tasselhof, he is not slatedroid, he just drops a few topics here for Merimobiles, does a few posts in the beginning, and you never see him here again.

Reactions: will567

·
Registered
54 Posts
Well I sense some beef there. Don't wanna get involved just wanna tell people what I think About my new tablet compared to my other tablets.
I would not suggest anyone buy this tablet yet. Until a firmware upgrade proves this CPU has the power it claims.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
I would not suggest anyone buy this tablet yet. Until a firmware upgrade proves this CPU has the power it claims.
I assume you mean computing power? ie. CPU performance.

The problem is:
#1. many apps tend to be dual or single threaded. So, very little benefit going from dual to quad CPU.
#2. RK3066 is clocked higher. 1.6 GHz.
#3. A31 uses Cortex A7 VS Cortex A9 for RK3066. A7 is of course slower. Needs higher clock speeds to compete.

For A31 to really compete against RK3066 on the CPU side, it would require higher clock speeds.

The A31 does get "slightly" better GPU performance according to GLBenchmark but you take a moderate hit on the CPU side.

PS,
a higher clocked dual core is better than a lower clocked quad core in many cases because only few apps are threaded to make use of all 4 cores. ie. I would rather get 2 GHz dual rather than 1.6 GHz quad. etc.

PPS,
I kept seeing 1.3 GHz for these A31 tablets. So, I thought that would be good for CPU side. Once I saw benches come out showing 1 GHz CPU speed I knew that it was just too low. 1.3 GHz is the lowest clock speed I would have accepted and that was pushing the lower limit also.

ie. a single threaded app only uses 1 core. In that case, a 1.6 GHz Cortex A9 core will be much faster than a 1 GHz Cortex A7 core. To get similar CPU performance, in a single or dual threaded app against RK3066; the A7 would have to clock to 1.8 GHz.

Edit: fixed some of the grammar but still not perfect. =)

·
Registered
54 Posts
I understand that apps in general aren't set up for quad cores yet. That's not the issue for me. Android is set up for quad core and shows no benefit of such when using the v812 compared with a dual core rk3066.

P.s. I'm not an rk3066 fanboy. I just got my first 2 rk's a month ago. I've always had all winner a10 or am logic.
I'm just telling my obvious experiences.

P.p.s.
If the tablet was much less battery hungry then it would be great even at 1ghz. It would be a great tablet as is if only it didn't kill the battery so quickly.

Even if it performed exactly the same as an rk3066 but had let's say even 1/3 better better performance it would be worth it. As of right now with current firmware there are no positives over rk3066 only negatives because of power consumption.

1 - 20 of 125 Posts