Android Tablets Forum banner
261 - 280 of 292 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
My serial number is xxx8Nxxxx should I use the 2N or 3N ROM?

cheers!

·
Registered
81 Posts
I've tested beta4 for a couple of hours. I'm quite impressed and I guess I will eventually switch from my 1206 Gingerbread ROM. Some remarks/questions:

* By default, more than 50% of battery discharge is generated by "cell standby" mode. So airplane mode + wifi is definitely the optimal configuration for the device. However, I didn't find the "airplane" mode switch in the settings. I had to download from the market a specific widget for doing this. Strange, no ? Once in airplane mode, the battery drain seems quite sober (i.e. similar as the 1206 GB I guess)

* I always liked the "power control" widget on home screen for all Android versions, but on ICS I could not find how to choose the buttons that appear on the widget. On Froyo and Gingerbread, when launching a widget, there was some configuration popup, but not on ICS. Is there an alternative way to configure widgets?

* The default launcher on ICS is not very smooth and lacks tons of tweaking abilities. I switched back to GO Launcher EX which performs very well on ICS: much smoother + ability to rename the labels of desktop icons + the possibility to lock the device in horizontal mode + ... + ...

* The CyanogenMod settings of the Gingerbread ROMs allowed us to remove the silly buttons on the status bar (back, home, tasks) which are useless on the C91 as we have specific touch buttons. I guess that tweaking some config file would do the same, I'll try some googling on that point.

More comments later...

·
Registered
490 Posts
for tweaking and cyanogenMod personalization, the ROM would require CyanogenMod 9 which was created for Ice Cream Sandwich devices. It's still in beta itself so it is very unlikely that zenithink or our custom rom developers base for that matter, will consider to implement it as of yet.
Remember that Ice Cream Sandwich is relatively new and few devices have it. Actually I think that our tablet is one of the very first tablets out there to have it!
As for the power control widget, that was also a CyanogenMod thing where we could edit the buttons on it.
You can resize the widgets but that's pretty much it in Ice Cream Sandwich
The problem with the dedicated buttons thing is the following: Ice Cream Sandwich was built to remove buttons totally out of the equation. The most recent Nexus phone has no physical buttons except for the power and volume buttons and most tablets that come out later this year will have the same kind of setup.
In the case of our tablet there are three choices:
1) we accept ICS as it is with physical and software buttons working together doing the same funcions and accept the redundancy
2) we hope that somewhere along the line the software buttons dissapear and the physical ones will do their job (like some cellphone custom roms with ICS although that in tablets it's a bit pointless since that in some cases the software and physical buttons seem to have different functions)
3)disable the physical buttons rendering them useless.

·
Registered
37 Posts
having used the rooted ICS rom for a few days, so far i had only noticed a few more bugs. Alarm clock does not work - tablet seems to go to sleep when screen is off, thus only if the screen is on the alarm will ring.

Wifi also does not work when screen is off even though it is set to never turn off. Wifi also faces not connection when wifi networks are weak, stating that the wifi does not connect to weak channels even though the avoid poor connections option is unticked.

Also, the startup time is far too long - it could take 3 mins just to boot into the lockscreen.

However, so far battery life has been fantastic! i could charge it the night before and when i wake up, it could have lost only about 9% despite leaving it on the whole night. I estimate that 2 full 2hour mp4 movies could be watched with 70% screen brightness before it runs out of juice (provided with wifi not being on.)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Can anyone verify that Flash works in the latest beta ICS? I installed the first beta version but had to revert back because flash would not work. I really liked what I saw and will happily move up to ICS if that issue is fixed.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Can anyone verify that Flash works in the latest beta ICS? I installed the first beta version but had to revert back because flash would not work. I really liked what I saw and will happily move up to ICS if that issue is fixed.
nope flash does not work in ics. ics supports html5 only so far.

·
Registered
490 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Flash is being discontinued. Adobe themselves are discontinuing Flash. There's a lot of content in Flash that will soon be completely gone. ICS in Nexus phones no longer supports Flash. Get used to it my friends

Uploading a new custom ROM based on the 1224 beta that is still the most stable as of yet
just a few remarks
-flash is NOT discontinued, adobe just stops developing new features for the MOBILE version(wich is final for android, it just means no flash for bb and apple, we DO however get bug fixes).
-flash works on the galaxy nexus and ICS adobe just had to update it.
-it will take a while before flash is completely gone, for now its a big feature of android imo.
-a LOT of stuff can't be done in HTML5, don't get me wrong -i like HTML5-, but for now i can't watch the news or view tv shows legally for free (im from the netherlands);
you either need quicktime(mac/windows) or silverlight (windows) or flash, and it will stay that way because the content provider wants more control (e.g. copy protection and adding ads).
Both of wich is not possible yet with HTML5(ads can be blocked, video downloaded)
-p2p is possible in flash but not in HTML5 (e.g. http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/5-free-browserbased-p2p-file-sharing-sites-filesize-limits/)

sorry if this sounds as a rant -dont mean it like one- but i am going to look for a tablet soon and this one is high on my list, but flash and ICS are must haves.
Just waiting what CES brings us/the genius devs here/zenithink(best support i have ever seen! keep it up!)

edit:
adobe flash player 11.1 reqs http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/923/cpsid_92359.html
you can also see it in the android market if you press "recently added features"(i think its called that, you can also check the comments; the 2nd one(dutch market) is "flash working great on galaxy nexus")

·
Registered
8 Posts
Flash is being discontinued. Adobe themselves are discontinuing Flash. There's a lot of content in Flash that will soon be completely gone. ICS in Nexus phones no longer supports Flash. Get used to it my friends

Uploading a new custom ROM based on the 1224 beta that is still the most stable as of yet
Wow, that's incredibly frustrating to hear. So flash is being discontinued but when? Next week? Next month? Next year? There are so many sites I visit that use flash you would think they would include flash support until such a time that flash is no longer so prevalent on the web. Is it really that much work to include it in ICS? I am not a developer so I don't know the answer to that but why not include Flash 11 in ICS?

So the choices are to either lose a bunch of content by upgrading to ICS or lose all the benefits ICS and keep being able to use the internet as it is today and to some degree for the foreseeable future. Not really a choice I'm happy with but I guess it is what it is.

Thanks for the replies and for the great work everyone does here.

·
Registered
490 Posts
it's going to take a lot less time than what most people would think.
Flash just asks too much of a mobile processor. Adobe has clearly stated the following:

Over the past two years, we've delivered Flash Player for mobile browsers and brought the full expressiveness of the web to many mobile devices.

However, HTML5 is now universally supported on major mobile devices, in some cases exclusively. This makes HTML5 the best solution for creating and deploying content in the browser across mobile platforms. We are excited about this, and will continue our work with key players in the HTML community, including Google, Apple, Microsoft and RIM, to drive HTML5 innovation they can use to advance their mobile browsers.

Even though they promise to keep updating and fixing bugs, let's face it. Flash on a mobile phone is too much battery draining. For flash video purposes I rather use something a lot less demanding and dependable: Skyfire.
Sure I can't play flash games (I never did actually) or I can't open certain websites. It's not perfect. But it gets the job done regarding video.

And as it's stated by Adobe, HTML5 is still growing and will continue to grow. AND we are forgetting another thing: Maybe stuff is being developed that is far superior than flash and that we don't know about.
I honestly don't care much about flash these days. There was a time when it was critical. That time has long passed

back to topic: Flash is unsupported on this tablet because of the GPU drivers not fully implemented. there's a lot of lag even in simple games that don't require much GPU processing power.
ICS is a brand new world for us and for the Zenithink community. Time is needed to solve all the little problems

·
Registered
2 Posts
hi Ive got a stealthx hydro tablet, a zt280 c91??? anyway i've downloaded the ics 4 but i cant do anything as the screen is just a swirling colour pattern. any ideas to make it work? i can turn it off but thats it.
any help greatly appreciated

·
Registered
28 Posts
hi Ive got a stealthx hydro tablet, a zt280 c91??? anyway i've downloaded the ics 4 but i cant do anything as the screen is just a swirling colour pattern. any ideas to make it work? i can turn it off but thats it.
any help greatly appreciated
re: stealthx hydro tablet, a zt280

Yes, it's a ZT 280

Is the swirly pattern you refer to the boot animation?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi, just going off topic, but CYMRU, where in Cymru are you?

I live in Wrecsam!
Hi.
Used to live in the Rhondda but now in Surrey. Obviously mad about Rugby

·
Registered
6 Posts
I got my tablet yesterday, and it had ics preinstalled, build 1220. Is this the alpha version? I also see mentioned that flash will not be supported in ics, but mine has flash and the market let me update to 11.1 yesterday, plus it works in the browser. Perhaps someone can merge something from the older build into the new build, as i can definitely confirm at least one build of ics supports flash! Just my 2 cents. Loving the ics by the way, my phone has cyanogen7, and this feels so much better :)

EDIT: Upon reinspection it turns out my build is 1223 (not sure where I got 1220 from!)

·
Registered
81 Posts
As for the power control widget, that was also a CyanogenMod thing where we could edit the buttons on it. You can resize the widgets but that's pretty much it in Ice Cream Sandwich
The problem with the dedicated buttons thing is the following: Ice Cream Sandwich was built to remove buttons totally out of the equation. In the case of our tablet there are three choices:
1) we accept ICS as it is with physical and software buttons working together doing the same funcions and accept the redundancy [...]
Not totally true, SJPedro: that's a "standard user" point of view, but not a "advanced/developper user" statement. With Android, most (if not all) of the interface can be controlled simply by editing a bunch of XML files. Most CyanogenMod customization is simply a user-friendly interface for editing XML files, in the same manner as TweakUI or similar tools avoid to edit the registry in Microsoft Windows. For instance, since my previous post I *do* manage to remove the virtual buttons in the status bar. The buttons are defined in file "status_bar.xml" stored in SystemUI.apk. Simply edit that file, repack and resign the archive, and done with it.

I guess that the icons in the power control widget can be customize similarly. But I would rather try to embed my favorite power control icons directly in the status bar, to reduce screen cluttering. It's a bit tougher to manage, but maybe not impossible... More on that later, I hope

·
Registered
10 Posts
Not totally true, SJPedro: that's a "standard user" point of view, but not a "advanced/developper user" statement. With Android, most (if not all) of the interface can be controlled simply by editing a bunch of XML files. Most CyanogenMod customization is simply a user-friendly interface for editing XML files, in the same manner as TweakUI or similar tools avoid to edit the registry in Microsoft Windows. For instance, since my previous post I *do* manage to remove the virtual buttons in the status bar. The buttons are defined in file "status_bar.xml" stored in SystemUI.apk. Simply edit that file, repack and resign the archive, and done with it.

I guess that the icons in the power control widget can be customize similarly. But I would rather try to embed my favorite power control icons directly in the status bar, to reduce screen cluttering. It's a bit tougher to manage, but maybe not impossible... More on that later, I hope
as a standard user i just say; download extended controls.

261 - 280 of 292 Posts