Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,062 Posts
Engadet Write Up

First Look link

System-on-Chip: Nvidia Tegra 4 (sporting the quad-core Cortex A15 processors and a 72-core GPU)
Display: 7-inch HD IPS LCD display with a 1280x800 pixel resolution
Camera: Rear camera - 5MP, Front camera - VGA
Storage: 16GB on-board with microSD card slot. Expandable to 32GB
Audio: Front-facing HD audio stereo speakers
Stylus: Chisel and brush tips
Software Updates: Over The Air (OTA) directly from Nvidia
Rated Battery life: 10 hours HD video playback

smithmal

·
Registered
59 Posts
Darn, I was just about to post this. I want to give this to myself this Christmas. The only thing is that the Toshiba excite pro, which has the Tegra 4 processor also, got a bad review from cnet. They said it was laggy and buggy. Hopefully this tablet and its clones doesnt suffer the same attributes. I know the Nvidia Shield is very well liked though.

·
Premium Member
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
From all the reviews it looks like the Note is so-so:

Pros:
1. Low price ($200)
2. Powerful SoC (Tegra 4)
3. Works very well with HD games

Cons:
1. Lackluster screen
2. Buggy firmware
3. Older Android OS (4.2.2)
4. Rather small battery (4100mAh)

All in all not too shabby for $200. Screen resolution doesn't bother me much as higher rez = higher battery consumption. I can live with the launch bugginess of the firmware, but I'm not sure who well the manufacturer will support the hardware.

Personally I'm more of a 8" form factor fan so I'm holding out for the Slate 8 Pro reviews.

smithmal

·
Registered
1 Posts
From all the reviews it looks like the Note is so-so:

Pros:
1. Low price ($200)
2. Powerful SoC (Tegra 4)
3. Works very well with HD games

Cons:
1. Lackluster screen
2. Buggy firmware
3. Older Android OS (4.2.2)
4. Rather small battery (4100mAh)

All in all not too shabby for $200. Screen resolution doesn't bother me much as higher rez = higher battery consumption. I can live with the launch bugginess of the firmware, but I'm not sure who well the manufacturer will support the hardware.

Personally I'm more of a 8" form factor fan so I'm holding out for the Slate 8 Pro reviews.

smithmal
Had to reg to comment.

Lets see as for buggy firmware, older OS? 90% if not more are running older. It gets updated (4.3) in Dec which is just what 2 weeks away lol. Its from NVIDIA so unless you have lived under a rock they do a great job of keeping up with drivers and what not. Just look at the Nvidia shield. So no matter who stamps their name on this its still will get updates OTA from Nvidia. Again its running a STOCK android OS which is AWESOME! It will get Kitkat which will run better.

Reviews are great to get an idea but ME I buy it and find out for myself. I got one coming form NewEgg now so I will get back to you and let you know how it runs. I do wish it had a bigger battery. But its cheap for a reason.

HP has never been known for keeping up with updates. I had the new HP tegra 4 worked great was fast but man did it get hot and LOVED the battery. For me running 3dbench after done I was down 8%. ANY Tegra 4 loves power.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
PIcked up an Advent Note today, they are currently very very cheap (online ) from currys/pcworld.

pretty decent review on pocketlint of it.

From first impressions its favourable, stylus is very usable, screen is good, although I'd rather have a 1080p one, software had an immediate update to 4.2.2 and seems fairily solid.

going to have a play with the kernel for it, need to get it rooted and tweaked, and will see about building a rom, unless Nvidia do keep to their targets.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I got this for Christmas. The EVGA version in particular. This is a great tablet compared to the rockchip 3066 and 3188 tablets I'm used to. Apps load fast along with web pages on Firefox. I tried a few free games to see how the gpu handles and it loads games fast and no stuttering. I have been playing Critical Strike a lot on it. It would be cool if they released a version or a new game that has the same fps elements only better textures because this tablet can handle them. I cant really comment on how good the WiFi is because I am in a 1 bedroom apt. I can say that the WiFi icon goes from grey to blue a lot faster then any other android devices Ive used. The Stylus works well and I use it to take notes. If someone is on the bridge about this tablet, Id say get one. Also does anyone have this rooted since the latest OTA update. The xda instructions are way to vague and I don't want to brick my new tablet.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts