Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As an owner of both I thought I would share my thoughts.....What I Like about the PDN over the Archos 7HT-Much more responsive touch screen-Accelerometer-Uses a full size SD card-Has second slot for micro SD-Has Better Wifi Reception-Has Better Built-In Speakers-Newer Android VersionWhat I Like about the Archos over PDN-Much Brighter Screen-Much Better Battery Life-Better, Louder Audio through eaphone Jack-WVGA resolution compatible with more apps than PDN SVGA screen-Better Video Playback-Works fine out the box without much tinkering-Seems Faster-Seems Built BetterOverall its a half-dozen one way, six the other with these two devices. I honestly find myself using the archos more, but that may change as the great minds on here improve the functionallity. In this picture:Archos at Minimum Screen BrightnnessPDN at Maximum BrightnessSamsung Galaxy S at Minimum Brightness

·
Registered
361 Posts
How about screen real estate? I know that most of the new 7" tablets are coming in 16x9 & I wonder if that is a mistake? How do you feel about the difference?Cheers,kev

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
I seriously considered the Archos 7. Do you really feel it is built better? I didn't think so, but I can see where "corners" might give you that effect... Just thinking out loud.What happens if someone disputes your signature?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for the useful comparison. If the Archos 7HT had Eclair it'd be a done deal for me, but since it doesn't I'm considering picking up a PDN especially since it's so much cheaper.You said that the video playback was better on the Archos - were you able to play video files at all on the PDN? What was problematic?Putting these two devices next to the Galaxy S is unfair. You might as well have held them up next to the sun and taken a picture.

·
Registered
549 Posts
You say the archos seems faster, can you elaborate what firware you are running on the Pandigital?v24 give dramatic performance improvement and replacing all the built in app adds condiderably more performance benefits?Just curious. BTW I have no doubt about the video playback that is what the archos is built for and what that company does best. I had a 5" archos for a few days a cocuple years ago and video was great when it wasn't crashing, but the overall performance was terrible.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have the Archos A5 Internet Tablet and can say that video is great the rest is crap BUT on the A5IT, they have a way to deal with the lack of buttons with an on screen faux button panel - if we could mimic that there would be no need for the volume hack - the Archos has a volume control and no need to hack.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Im running v24 on the PDN, I notice the speed difference most on games such as 'Jewels', the gameplay is much snappier on the Archos. On build quality my PDn squeeks when I squeeze it slightly, and this is my second one. The first did the same thing after a week of usage. The workmanship and materials of the archos just seem a notch above the PDN, but thats just my opinion. I would break it down like thisIf you want decent web surfing, great e-book reading, and something you can buy in a brick and mortar store get the NovelIf you want great video playback, decent music playback, and decent game playing get the Archos.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
there are several builds of the apad, so saying it's just like the apad is saying very little. be careful with using custom roms not intended for your specific device.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
You're good. I think maybe at this point we've got some noobs and people a little beyond their knowledge base who can get themselves in trouble if you give them ideas though...

·
Registered
154 Posts
There's really no need to flash anything custom for the apad right now. The archos 7 has a custom rom on forum.archosfans.com that has google apps(including working market), extra app space, and root. The apad roms won't give you anything more. Also oddly I had the very opposite experience between the PDN screen and the Archos 7. My archos is tons more responsive than my PDN was(first hacked rom). Its kinda blurry but you can see how responsive the screen is in my video. YouTube - ‪Archos 7 HT Home Tablet Android 1.5 Rooted with Google‬‎So far the only thing the PDN has on the archos 7 is android 2.0

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
Honestly, I'm starting to thing there's a quality variant in the PDN touchscreen. I'm seeing wildly varying opinions (Nate now hates it). The low response touch screen seems rare, but distinctly out there. I'm not sure if reflashing the fw will help - it did for me at one point - but I'm watching this.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.