Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Co-Founder
2,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen a lot of mixed reviews for the Nook, and I'm unsure what to think really. I was considering buying it for my girlfriend for her birthday (she has too many books and it annoys the hell out of me because I get extremely OCD about making sure they're in alphabetically order according to author :s ).What's the eInk screen like to read compared to an LCD, it looks like the page turns / update speed is a lot faster from what it used to be. If it were to be hacked with CFW does it still remain a stable device?Cheers,Mike

·
Co-Founder
2,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also, in various reviews it mentioned that you could only use the WiFi in-store. The 3G model isn't an option for me because I'm in the UK (unless it's possible to hack it to work with my Three SIM which has free data transfer). If it were rooted and CFW installed, is it able to access the B&N store from a home WiFi network?

·
Registered
10 Posts
it isnt only wifi in store?!!? i think they meant there is wifi is at a b&n. Yes it will hook up to your home network(at least my wife's 1st gen does), and the eink screen is cool. looks just like a book page.with all of the latest updates, the page turning and such is very, very good. one of the latest updates added internet browser beta and sodoku.

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
Eink is easier to "read" for extended periods. page turn is slower than I'd like, but reasonable. The wireless works on any wireless network - in fact they didn't add wpa support until 1.4, I think. There is a bn specific wireless though - gives access to special in-store content, reading on the shelf, etc. People are working on hacking to make it think it's always in a store - free books anytime. I haven't seen if they have it working yet.I haven't done any hacking on mine, but I've been told it's pretty stable with cfw. Most people only really use cfw to mod the touchscreen. really. Now that nook is androidable, you could theoretically run the app...

·
Co-Founder
2,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for that
It turns out she would rather go to Cornwall, so that's where we're going... shopping :| Anyways, I'm thinking of getting one for myself so thanks for the info.

·
Registered
171 Posts
It's a GSM device, so it should have a SIM card on the cellular radio. The included SIM card is limited to the USA only, and will not allow cellular roaming out of the country. So, the question is if there is a SIM card in there and you swap it out with a SIM card from a foreign carrier, will it allow 3G or Edge access outside of the USA? Of course there is also the possibility of hacking the cellular radio to turn back on the international data roaming. I certain someone can shed some light on the SIM card issues, but I'm not sure about anything like doing seam edits, etc like one would do for a cell phone in order to turn on international data roaming.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts