Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I wanted to make a thread to keep some notes and pre-posts and the like accessible until they are ready and there is a Nook Color Section in the main board.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
First I wanted to give everyone a little background on myself and how this project came about.
I started with Android Tablets in July with a Pandigital Novel. I grabbed one from Bed Bath and Beyond and started tweaking it from day one. All in

all I ended up with a nice usable Android Tablet for around $125. Over the past 6 months I have been involved in the Pandigital Novel scene and

actively developing custom firmwares and roms. All of this information can be found here at slatedroid forums. [LINK Pandigital Forums] I relesased

an all in one style firmware package that contained all of the necessary mods as well as a group of select apks. The "system" was preconfigured with

all the common system settings as well as populated apk docks, widgets, and browser links. This firmware, the nchntr_experience became quite popular

and developed a larger than expected user base. As new firmwares were released by Pandigital, I updated and released the experience on the newer

firmwares, allowing the users to upgrade to the newest firmwares and still enjoy the experience.

As the PDN scene began to slow down, some of the other devs left to work with better hardware (other devices) and I have considered the same.

However, I appreciate all the PDN users and their support and as a result, I will continue to develop new firmwares for the PDN. However, since most

of everything that can be done has been done wioth the PDN, I began looking for another device to tinker with. I considered getting a Black PDN or

the 9" tablet PDN but, being an iPhone user, I really wanted something with a capatitance touch screen. I saw the Viewsonic G tablet as the next

desired option, however with a regular price of almost $400, I did not see this as being a popular device for the crowd. I did not want to get an

aPad oe ePad or other multi distribution china Android tablet, as most people will not roll the dice on one of those either. Thus the next logical

step would be an eReader with a cap screen that is available nearly everywhere. Enter the Nook Color. At $250 it is comparable to the Velicity Micro

Tablet and I beleive it has similar or better hardware. So I decided on the Nook Color would be the next device to become experienced.

Although I had made up my mind on the device, I had not run out to get one. I was still not ready to take the $$ plunge and thus placed it on the

todo list. Then I got a message from Slatedroid operator, mp4 (mp4doggie) who suggested a slatedroid sponsored Nook Color project. I though it over

and decided that with the $$ help he was offering, it was worth taking the plunge. So I ran out to Barnes and Nobles singing "I'm gonna get a nook

col-ller, I'm gon-na get a Nook Col-ller... ...."

So I drove across town, still singing. Get to B & N and found the nook color display, still singing. There was a nice but not very knowledgable

gentleman manning the Nook Color island. After making small talk..
Me: "So that is the Nook Color, huh?"
Him: "Yes, great isn't it?"
Me: "So that has the capitance screen?"
Him: "Uhh, whats that?"
Me: "A hard screen like a iPhone, that you dont have to press on."
Him: "Uh, I guess."
I was flipping screens on the display (in it's stand).
Him: "You can pick it up, if you want."
After picking it up the first thing I noticed was how lite it is compared to the 7" White Pandigital Novel.
Me: "Ok, I'll take one."
Him: "Do you want a case with it?"
Looking at all the "portfolio" cases in the glass display, with stitched edges and fancy color patterns, .
Me: "Do you have any that don't look like purses?"
We went over to another display that had other cases.
Me: "I am looking for a gel case."
He grabs a neoprene sleeve case.
I grabbed the gel case, only color options were black and blue.
After grabbing a black one, I headed for the register where the Nook Color was waiting. I approached the register, singing "I'm gonna get a Nook Col-

ler." The nice chick behind the registered started ringing me up.
Her: "Would you like the Accidental Damage Replacement plan?"
Me: "How much does it cost?"
Her: "$56, it covers Accidental damage and..."
Me: "Does it cover broken display/glass?"
Her: "Yes"
Me: "Does it cover acts of stoopidity?"
Her: "What are they?"
Me: "Dropping it in the pool or tub?"
Me: "leaving it on the car and driving off or over it?"
Me: "My dog eating it?"
Her: "Yes, but it is only a one time replacement."
Me: "Ok, sounds good."

So I left B & N $350 poorer and singing "I got a Nook Col-ler.. I got a Nook Col-ler.. "

The first thing I did when I got home was to register with B&N. I made a new gmail address for the device (nchntrznookcolor), knowing this would be

best after market was enabled. I went to Barnes and Nobles website and registered as a user. (link) I also joined their developers program, this

got me a url (link) for the Android SDK that added a Nook Color device to the emulator.

I decided that since a Picture = 1000 * Words, then Video = 1,000,000 Bandwidth, I will be making some simple instructional videos covering the

following: Un-boxing and setup (includes registering the device), Simple review of the included apks and functions, Rooting the device using

available tools, installing apks and tweaking the device for better usability. I will also be making some more advanced instructional videos

concerning: creating a USB driver from scratch, volume key mods, and other commonly used mods.

·
Registered
666 Posts
This is the first in a series of videos I will be making about the nook color. This is a video of the un-boxing of my nook color. Basic opening, package contents and impression of the build quality. This video leaves off with the start of the initial charging of the nook color.

I would strongly suggest creating a gmail address to use with the nook color ( http://www.gmail.com ), as well as registering the email with Barnes & Noble ( https://cart4.barnesandnoble.com/account/Request.aspx?x= ) as this will be necessary to use the device.

Special thanks to mp4 @ slatedroid.com for $ponsoring my Nook Color ventures. www.slatedroid.com is an excellent resource for any Android OS based tablet. I have spent the last 6 months there as part of an active community devoted to modding the PanDigital Novel and hope to continue efforts with that device as well as the Nook Color.

I decided that since a Picture = 1000 * Words, then Video = 1,000,000 Bandwidth, I will be making some simple instructional videos covering the following: Un-boxing and setup (includes registering the device), Simple review of the included apks and functions, Rooting the device using available tools, installing apks and tweaking the device for better usability. I will also be making some more advanced instructional videos concerning: creating a USB driver from scratch, volume key mods, and other commonly used mods.

So since no one has time to read the instruction manual, but EVERYONE has time for youtube I present to you the following:

·
Premium Member
1,420 Posts
There is a Nook area already.  It covers the color also.  If your planning to do decide work on it I'm sure a new subforum could be added.

·
Premium Member
2,596 Posts
guys if you have not seen this tablet it is freaking sweet, the screen is nice and crisp like a 5 dollar bill

1 - 6 of 6 Posts