Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering buying the Novel. I have tried to get as much info as possible from the site. A few questions:1: I am concerned about the short battery life, especially for travel. Is the battery replaceable on the fly, or is there an external battery that can be plugged into the AC adapter plug to extend battery time?2: Is the OS located on an SD card? If so,can it be removed and copied, then the replacement used so the original can be replaced if I screw it up?3: I'm more familiar with desktops. Is it possible to just replace the OS with a new Android OS to eliminate all of the compatibility issues I keep reading about?

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
I wrote a long response then got kicked out for some reason. If no one else gives you a long answer, I will later.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
1: I am concerned about the short battery life, especially for travel. Is the battery replaceable on the fly, or is there an external battery that can be plugged into the AC adapter plug to extend battery time?Battery life is comparable to other android tablets. Kill the wifi, manage the brightness, and use hibernate, and it's pretty good, actually. I have a solar charger that I use with it sometimes, and there's no reason you can't use any other 12v rechargeable portable battery. At some point someone will mod the battery. I may consider making a Lion jump pack at some point. 2: Is the OS located on an SD card? If so,can it be removed and copied, then the replacement used so the original can be replaced if I screw it up?We have come to the conclusion that the os is internal, and data are on the micro sd card - books, music, etc used by the native apps. you can keep a copy of the firmware to fix if you screw up. People have also found backup apps that appear to work. 3: I'm more familiar with desktops. Is it possible to just replace the OS with a new Android OS to eliminate all of the compatibility issues I keep reading about? there are several versions of android. We are running 2.0, I think. The newest is 2.2, codenamed froyo. You can't just change os, because it won't necessarily recognize all the hardware on the device. There really aren't that many compatibility issues, and Pandigital is working on it. At this point though, it's the wild west. All of these devices will be obsolete inside of a year, so we're just enjoying being able to say we were here then. We really seem, on this site, in fact, to have driven decisions Pandigital has made lately, and we are really pushing the envelope. You literally cannot get this much bang for your buck out of any other device, in my opinion - and I've looked into all of them. I have been yelling about the potential of this device while others were burying it after the recall. I can't recommend it enough. For $120 to $160 with rebates etc, you can't go wrong. At worst you play with it for a week and sell it for $100.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.