Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
[quote author=Peter Dark link=topic=803.msg6299#msg6299 date=1276021496]I know this is a little od but dose anyone have a nokia n770 tablet or other older tablet device ?[/quote]I had every nokia tablet generation but stopped short of buying the N900 because Nokia drop support faster than they release products.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just bricked a 770 trying to flash some life into it with firmware from maemo. Only thing that ever worked was themahjong game.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yep got one too. Haven't been brave enough to use the maemo OS. Did you successfully reinstall the original OS?See ya..........Shorty

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice to see somany soles with the same gaget orented mindset i have the n770 but cant get the wifi to play for love or money and ive tried every vershion of the O/S Known to man its still a grave little device .Id be inristed to know what other retro gadgets pepole regularly use just out of idle cureosity if nothing else thanks for all the post gents its much apreceatedregards Peter Dark

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the Nokia N810.Recently, I bought one of those Chinese-made 7" Android tablets.All I can say is that the Android system has a ways to go before providingthe kind of functionality I was expecting from having used the N810 for two yearsprior.Specifically speaking, my Nokia Maemo is: a) Blazing fast compared to the Android Tablet (even though the processors are rated about the same).
Does not freeze as often. c) Includes Flash support within its full *Mozilla* based browser. (I can surf youtube and other Flash 9 compatible sites without some proxy downloader). d) Does not have Google-inspired antics like *web-enabled* processes that run in the background (reminiscent of spyware) which are hard to shutdown or configure. e) Came pre-installed with a full *python* language package - which I used to easily port programs from Windows to the N810. f) Includes configurable apt-get type update system which made getting software for the thing a breeze. g) Generally, has crisper graphics display and better sound output. h) Was easier to root for me. i) And of course the slide-out full Qwerty keyboard makes input and game playing easier.I could go on; but, I sure hope Android improves in the future as Maemo (IMHO)is still several-times ahead of it.Thanks.Sean

·
Registered
291 Posts
You really can't judge android based on one of these under powered tablets. Go get your hands on a REAL authorized android device and then you can comment on the operating system. My Moto Droid running Android 2.2 has been the best phone I have ever owned. The newer releases of Android on devices that actually meet Google's requirements are leaps and bounds ahead of anything you could hope for with these.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Look, I don't want to belittle your phone. I'm sure it's great; But, Android has been designed in certain ways that will lead to a less-than-ideal experience regardless of hardware - viz-a-viz, the lack of the 'X' (to close), '_' (to minimize), '[]' to maximize buttons on windows is one. Another is that it seems with each successive release,there's more of a power grab away from the end user (e.g., we hear about how the 1.5 Cupcake version was easier to root than later versions). With Android, it certainly does not feel I'm in control like I'm using a miniaturized version of my Linux Desktop - as I feel when using Maemo or even my Palm TXhandheld device when connected to a Linux Desktop via VNC. In any case, the market does not follow the 'best OS wins' model. Rather it follows the 'the biggest/cleverest guy pushing his/her OS wins' model.I think projecting out further, definitely the Maemo OS will be a thing of the past like Palm's webOS and Android will become more dominant.So, Android probably wins - but I, and many others (who have been using handhelddevices for along time), just wish it were different. As for waiting it out until better Android tablets are available, definitely I'm waiting.I actually bought the Android tablet I have right now for my 5 year-old-son as hewas too addicted to using my N810 - and I was afraid he would break it - better tobreak that Chinese crap than something I need and use every day.Sean.

·
Registered
291 Posts
You are correct that android does not feel like a linux desktop. There is no specific window management or anything that might be preferred by a power user. Those sorts of features are not really the target for Android though. Android is specifically targeted towards lower level phone users. The sort of everyday people that have made all of the iDevices from Apple such a huge success.A decently powered android device can certainly connect to a desktop over VNC just as well as your Palm TX. The truth of the fact for rooting is that the mobile device vendors are the ones who cause the problems. Sure Google is the one who patches the vulnerabilities that allow us to gain root outside of normal channels, but the device makers are the ones who sell us a device without the access included. Just look at the Nexus One. Google sold it with root access enabled.I agree that the market does not favor the "best" OS, but that has been the trend on the desktop for years! I am by no means oblivious to the other offerings. I have not used a maemo device, but the interface looks terrific. I have been following Meego and am excited to see how the software stack matures. WebOS is a wonderful product and I just hope HP can make it shine with a great tablet. I've also heard some good things about what can be accomplished with the Enlightenment EFL system and would love to see how well something based on it would work on these wm8505 devices.At the end of the day the Android ecosystem gives users great access to their information if they are already using google for their mail, calendar, etc. It is a good interface and is easy for new users to pick up. These are the things that will continue to expand it's hold on the market. I just wanted to make sure you weren't judging Android solely on the basis of these devices.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts