Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
954 Posts
lol I'm not sure they could have done a very good job on the 2.1 ROM with the state of the 1.5 ROM as it is. But the 1.5 ROM with Roger's and my latest edits is really isn't that bad.But we all know if the Archos 7 Home tablet or the Ramos W7 get 2.1, we will get it together. We should really just infiltrate the archos fans forum and beg Archos to pressure Rockchip for 2.1, if not the source code.For those of you who think any device can just 'get' an Android upgrade, you guys need to understand why the G1 has Froyo in the first place - it is because Google did all the hard lifting already.

·
Registered
8 Posts
[quote name='xaueious;13454]For those of you who think any device can just 'get' an Android upgrade' date=' you guys need to understand why the G1 has Froyo in the first place - it is because Google did all the hard lifting already.[/QUOTE'] I understand that it is a bit of work, but yes any device can get upgraded. Here is a perfect example of 1 (!!) man who ported android 1.5,1.6 to his Nokia N810, and ported 1.5, 1.6 2.1 to his N900. Neither device supports android out of the box. This is a one man dev "team". Took him less than 6 months total. So yes it is possible to JUST get an upgrade, even if the device was not originally made to run Android. You just need the time, OS/hardware knowledge and a few smarts. http://nitdroid.com/

·
Registered
880 Posts
You need to understand that Android is in every version based on a close margin of Linux kernels.For every Hardware the kernel and the drivers for that device need to be adapted,that is not a simple matter of copy/pasting most of the time.Is the Ramos v7 also based on the RockChip rk2808?If it is they probably depend too on the sources Rockchip was about to provide.

·
Registered
22 Posts
If they ever were that is. Probably wish to concentrate on products with real branding lol.Probably nothing in it for them (Rockchip) to release an update, so why worry about the few that have paid their money?Dissallusioned lol.

·
Registered
120 Posts
BOOOOO HIIISSSSSSSSS, Get our hopes up so we go out & buy them on the proviso that we can update too 2.1 then take it away!! Indian Givers!!Very Disappointed Hiapad.

·
Registered
198 Posts
This sucks!

G

·
As I briefly outline in my blog post here, the Chip3c guys are basically letting you know the only real way is to pressurise the "big" EU/USA companies (Archos.. and Ramos?) into getting the finger out and/or releasing the software. I think the chances of it are slim, especially considering most people want it for a Chinese device, not their own products.

·
Registered
954 Posts
I said this in my blog post and I will say it again. When you buy from small companies, they have to cut costs to stay competitive. But at the same time that also means that they can't afford to pay for software development. They can't even afford to pay their factory workers more than $2 USD an hour. And you want them to do software development for you? They have no leverage over the chipset manufactuers. You buy what you pay for. I have an Apad. With Android 1.5 I am happy with it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
did you read this post?http://hiapad.com/?p=878&lang=entotally sucks. thank goodness for rogerbraun and others for their work. so that we can actually have some functionality with android 1.5hopefully there will be some release from rockchip somewhere for an update....(the comment about honoring the GPL is an excellent point. Just wish there was someone who could enforce it...)

·
Registered
42 Posts
[quote name='xaueious;13596]I said this in my blog post and I will say it again. When you buy from small companies' date=' they have to cut costs to stay competitive. But at the same time that also means that they can't afford to pay for software development. They can't even afford to pay their factory workers more than $2 USD an hour. And you want them to do software development for you? They have no leverage over the chipset manufactuers. You buy what you pay for. I have an Apad. With Android 1.5 I am happy with it.[/QUOTE'] I agree, but still exist a little hope..Sent from my aPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
198 Posts
Maybe when they meant there will be no 2.1 support it means they are jumping straight to 2.2?

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.