Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone asked me about getting a tablet for her son for x-mas. It appears to be a toss up between a SGT2 7 (GT-P3113TSYXAR) or a nexus 7. The bad about the Nexus 7 is that there isn't a microsd slot; the bad about the SGT2 7 is that its running ICS and I haven't heard anything yet about a JB upgrade for it.

Thoughts and ideas? Thanks..

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Someone asked me about getting a tablet for her son for x-mas. It appears to be a toss up between a SGT2 7 (GT-P3113TSYXAR) or a nexus 7. The bad about the Nexus 7 is that there isn't a microsd slot; the bad about the SGT2 7 is that its running ICS and I haven't heard anything yet about a JB upgrade for it.

Thoughts and ideas? Thanks..
#1.
Galaxy Tab 2 uses OMAP4 ARM chip. The OMAP4 gives similar performance to Tegra2.
Galaxy Tab 2 Info

Galaxy Tabs with Exynos4 (4210) would give closer performance to Tegra3. Nexus 7 comes with Tegra3. Nexus 7 gets almost 2.5X better performance over Tab 2!!!

Tegra3 will be old news in 2013 as newer and more powerful ARM chips are released. Tegra4 is coming out around March 2013. Tegra2 & OMAP4 are even older than that.
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvidia-tegra-4-wayne-arm-a15,15261.html

#2. no microSD & no HDMI on Nexus 7. No HDMI on Galaxy Tab 2? If storage is an issue, buy the 32GB model instead. Also, can use USB stick but not as nice as using microSD.

#3. Nexus 7 will always get the most stable & quickest Android firmware upgrades of any tablet because supported directly by Google.

#4. Nexus 7 is 1280x800. GT2 is 1024x600. Sharper text & graphics on Nexus 7.

Get Nexus 7. Just have to decide whether to get 16 or 32 GB version. 16 GB should be enough for most people out there.

PS, many games are under 100 MB in size but some, like Gameloft games, are 500 MB - 1 GB (because of data - ie. graphics) and even as high as 2 GB in rare cases. Also, MP3s are small in size and take little room. DivX rips: HDTV shows are 350 MB, movies are 800 MB - 1.5 GB. High resolution 720p DivX rips are bigger size (ie. double those sizes).

·
Registered
137 Posts
another difference..nexus 7 no rear camera...galaxy tab 2 7 has rear 3 mp camera with HD recording..

i would go for the tab 2 because...1 rear camera 2 micro sd slot of 32 gb despite lower screen resolution older processor and ICS..

(also the tab 2 p 310 at least 10k cheaper in india..19k for tab 2 versus maybe 28k for the yet to belaunched in india 32 gb 3G nexus 7)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Samsungs reputation in mobile devices is outstanding good, so I am going for a Samsung tab 2 in 7". Need it for navigation abroad / offroad. I know the Nexus got better resolution, but maps going to be to small on the screen maybe. Anyway - will see. Since you can use microSD in Samsung and i managed to mount ext2 partition for larger files (> 4 Gbyte) this should be perfect.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi,
I got a Tab2 recently and I love it.I have a 32G micro SD card in the slot and find the display to be just fine.
I did not do a lot of research before buying as it was only 170.00.If it was 300.00 I suppose I would have been
more picky!This is my first tablet and android device so maybe next time I will be more choosy.No regrets except
for lack of ad hoc networking, but that seems to be an android thing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts