Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys and gals im new to the whole web tablet thing, but have been looking online every day for the past few months at reviews and specs etc and im beoming more and more confused.Ok I live in the uk so im going to give my budget in english pounds, between ?100-?200 i'm not a rich man lol.ok so i have mainly been looking at the apad rockchip but im very worried that if i order one it will turn out to be one of the via type apads that seem rather slow and not usuelful for playing video.I have also come across the wits but i cant find any of these on ebay.At first i was tempted by the eken but it seems rather slow and weak.Basically can anyone advise of the good and bad points to as man y of the major ones that are discussed on this site and some advice on buying.Thanks hope to here from you soon

·
Registered
104 Posts
hi there, for your budget its really up to you. I live in the uk, u have probably noticed that if u buy one from say ebay, its going to come from china, and if it dosent it costs nearly twice as much for the same thing.I bought one before from the uk. When i bought mines, i sent it back, when it came it had a blue light. But there is a batch 3 which has a blue light. Basicly originaly the ones with the blue light were fakes of fakes.Making firmware upgrade no possible. Thats changed now but only slightly. Anyway for your budget of 150 - 200, it all depends where u want to by from and how long u want to wait. What size of tablet do u want. How much memory. You have stated u want one with newer firmware.So from your price range here's your choice.1. Apad - Rockchip, 600mhz cpu, 550 - 600 dsp, people usualy say its a dual core. 128mb ram, 2gb memory, But your stuck with android 1.5 or 1.6 no higher. There ok tho, got mines for 90 quid. These ones have a red charge light and you want a v2 which has a camera. ?80 - 100, 7 inch2. Slight differentApad - Rockchip, 600mhz cpu, 550 - 600 dsp, people usualy say its a dual core. 128mb ram, 2gb memory, But your stuck with android 1.5 or 1.6 no higher. There ok tho, got mines for 90 quid. These have a camera also but have a blue charge light. (Firmware upgrades are dangerious, different internal hardware to the first one) ?80 - 100, 7 inch3.Slight differance Apad - Via cpu 600mhz, 256mb ram, 2gb rom. Running 1.5. No higher. Problem with these is the via cpu's, well there shit. More memory is great but slow and sluggish. These look identical. ?80 - 100, 7 inch4.Big differanceApad - running a telechip cpu, 256mb ram, 2gb rom, running 2.1 with the 2.2 possibility. There hard to find but i seen em on ebay from the uk for ?165. 7 inch5. the one i want :)Zenithink zt- 180 - This has many names. The zenpad 4, the m16, zenithink, the zt-180. There all the same. These run an arm 11 based chip at suspected 800mhz oveclocked to 1ghz. 256mb ram, 2gb rom running 2.1 and 2.2 on the way. They have had some bad luck with them, as they were advertised as a8 cpus, which there not. But know that we know, people are bringing out firmware to make the device work properly.Problem was it was unstable even with those great specs. But thats all becoming a thing of the past now. I havent seen them in the uk. There 10.2 inches. Great size to read things on, Just a bit bigger than the ipad.PRICE 200 dollars. 230 dollars posted from enso-now.com, i ordered one and then when all the processor thing happened i got a refund, not comftable flashing, so when its all fixed ill buy it again.The guy was very good, in constant contact, seems a reliable source. Btw its ?150 and he will send as a gift so u can avoid import tax ;)hope this helps.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks alot for the reply, doesnt bother me how long it takes to receive just hope i get the right one when i do, this does help
just worried that if i choose apad it will be the wrong one that comes

·
Registered
104 Posts
well if u like, mines should appear this week. If its all good and a genuine one. Then i can link you to where i got it. Paid 95 from ebay.But the apad is limited to firmware 1.5 didnt u want one with higher newer firmware

·
Co-Founder
2,103 Posts
The specs you posted for the VIA tablet is wrong. The max proc freq they have is 350MHz, not suitable for video.I would recommend the wits a81 (nationite midnite), it's easily the best tablet here and probably the only one capableof doing any gaming due to the cortex a8 processor.Check out mp4nation, they're on sale there for $199.Sent from my HTC Dream using Tapatalk

·
Registered
49 Posts
Thanks stephen0205, that's a pretty good summary.I'm thinking of buying a tablet, my preference is a 10 inch device, so right now that looks like the zenithink-based devices are the only game in town. I've seen them on ebay but they're pretty expensive, I think 200 quid for a UK-based seller. Ouch. Buying from Enso seems a decent alternative.I do like the cortex proc of the wits device, but too bad there's no 10 inch version.

·
Registered
104 Posts
opps yeah see that i got the specs on the apad with the via chip wrong. Just he mentioned the apad so i mentioned the info i knew about them. I dont own one again yet. But should be here this week.it took me forever to write that about all the devices.I do however like the wits a81e with the new 2.2 update, it does have the advantage of having the cotrex which is a great advantage. I still think the arm 11 zenithink has great potention, maybe not flash but im sure someone will bring something out.He mentioned he wanted a bigger one, so i think the 10.2 inch would be perfect. Hence the zenithink. I like it, once they bring out some decent firmware, i shall be owning one again

·
Registered
8 Posts
I discovered the slatedroid community yesterday, this is very exciting for me! Sorry if this post is somewhat of topic.I just bought myself a nice aPad (ePad printed on the box) from this ebay link; 10.2 TFT 1GHz CPU WLAN 3.5G USB Google Android 2.1 APAD - eBay (item 180538433610 end time Jul-29-10 14:29:02 PDT)I confirm the following; 10.2" LCD @ 1024x566(ish), 9V charger, Android 2.1, red charging LED, blue power LED, NO camera, NO built in 3G. I am not sure about the CPU and mermory size..Can anyone with more experience please tell me what kind of unit this is?! I want to install a custom firmware if there is one available and if this is safe to do on my unit.The aPad is nice but a bit laggy, the software does not appear to be optimalized for the hardware. Everything is a bit laggy, even when i kill all apps. It can almost play 720p video at 1,5Mbit/s without lagging, this is one of the things I would hope to work perfect in a custom firmware update.The other big thing on my wishlist is support for the real Android Market app!Would be very nice and helpful if anyone could point me in the right direction, thanks!-Chris

·
Registered
104 Posts
well my apad came and went, came and it was a via not a rockchip. So its on its way back again :(I think im just gonna buy the wits off mp4 nation, they have it at a good price and 2.2 is coming along nicely on it so why not

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
apologies but i may need to relist my requirementsi am looking for:im thinking maybe 7 inch screen as 10 maybe less portable but if the price and product is good 10 may sufficenon laggy HD playbacksnappy and responsive, so decent processorresponsive touch screenpreferably android 2.2 for app compatibility but if not maybe something that can be updateddecent internet browsing capabilitiesand maybe something i can have bluetooth or 3g withthe wits a81e ticks a number of those boxes and i was very tempted to take the plunge but I read alot that its HD playback is sub par to non existent but flash compatability although laggy is a thumbs upI know its all alot to ask at my pricepoint so i'll just say that web browsing, responsiveness and mainly HD video playback are the main points Im looking for.if anyone can help i will be most greatfulthanks in advance

·
Registered
104 Posts
the wits has the hardware capabilities. It has come along quite nicely very quickly. It wont be long till we have perfect video playback and perfect flash.And it is the ONLY one which can run 2.2 as of this moment in time.At this moment in time its as close as your going to get. It could all change in a month, but right now its a great tablet and works very well.Ill be buying it in a few weeks.After the fake apad fiasco i had with 2 of them and the zenithink being not a cortex. Im picking this one as it seems to be u get what u pay for.

·
Registered
4 Posts
[quote name='stephen0205;33192]hi there' date=' for your budget its really up to you. I live in the uk, u have probably noticed that if u buy one from say ebay, its going to come from china, and if it dosent it costs nearly twice as much for the same thing.I bought one before from the uk. When i bought mines, i sent it back, when it came it had a blue light. But there is a batch 3 which has a blue light. Basicly originaly the ones with the blue light were fakes of fakes.Making firmware upgrade no possible. Thats changed now but only slightly. Anyway for your budget of 150 - 200, it all depends where u want to by from and how long u want to wait. What size of tablet do u want. How much memory. You have stated u want one with newer firmware.So from your price range here's your choice.1. Apad - Rockchip, 600mhz cpu, 550 - 600 dsp, people usualy say its a dual core. 128mb ram, 2gb memory, But your stuck with android 1.5 or 1.6 no higher. There ok tho, got mines for 90 quid. These ones have a red charge light and you want a v2 which has a camera. ?80 - 100, 7 inch2. Slight differentApad - Rockchip, 600mhz cpu, 550 - 600 dsp, people usualy say its a dual core. 128mb ram, 2gb memory, But your stuck with android 1.5 or 1.6 no higher. There ok tho, got mines for 90 quid. These have a camera also but have a blue charge light. (Firmware upgrades are dangerious, different internal hardware to the first one) ?80 - 100, 7 inch3.Slight differance Apad - Via cpu 600mhz, 256mb ram, 2gb rom. Running 1.5. No higher. Problem with these is the via cpu's, well there shit. More memory is great but slow and sluggish. These look identical. ?80 - 100, 7 inch4.Big differanceApad - running a telechip cpu, 256mb ram, 2gb rom, running 2.1 with the 2.2 possibility. There hard to find but i seen em on ebay from the uk for ?165. 7 inch5. the one i want :)Zenithink zt- 180 - This has many names. The zenpad 4, the m16, zenithink, the zt-180. There all the same. These run an arm 11 based chip at suspected 800mhz oveclocked to 1ghz. 256mb ram, 2gb rom running 2.1 and 2.2 on the way. They have had some bad luck with them, as they were advertised as a8 cpus, which there not. But know that we know, people are bringing out firmware to make the device work properly.Problem was it was unstable even with those great specs. But thats all becoming a thing of the past now. I havent seen them in the uk. There 10.2 inches. Great size to read things on, Just a bit bigger than the ipad.PRICE 200 dollars. 230 dollars posted from enso-now.com, i ordered one and then when all the processor thing happened i got a refund, not comftable flashing, so when its all fixed ill buy it again.The guy was very good, in constant contact, seems a reliable source. Btw its ?150 and he will send as a gift so u can avoid import tax ;)hope this helps.[/QUOTE'] Are you saying that 2. will always come with a camera? So if I buy one without a camera am i safe that it will be 1. (what im getting at is that i can up upgrade the firmware without out it being "dangerous" as you put it, for 2.?)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ok this thread is getting old now and I still havent bought a tablet but theres even more around now its mind boggling, after looking at youtube reviews etc for lots of different tablets i am seriously stumped, i dont want the wits it seems like a work in progress still and i want something working, i have been looking at reviews for the gpad g10, herotab rk7, elonex etouch10" same as my previous question but now with the the new models out again what do i buy, if i cant decide i will just save more and get archos 70 cus it sounds awesome

·
The Hand That Smites
652 Posts
Check out BuyADroid http://www.buyadroid.blogspot.com/ great pads at great prices.Like you I have been looking and trying to decide what tablet to purchase. I have finally decided on the X5A/RK7. It's not to big to carry around, and seems like in terms of functionality it is well rounded. Also 2 forum members are working on Android 2.2 for it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.