Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My nook arrived a couple of days ago. Presumably at some point I'll actually be able to use it. To wit...I hooked it up to my PC and copied over a couple of free (yes, really free, no DRM issues) textbooks by copying the pdf files into the "My Documents" folder on the nook. They are good on my PC, but my attempts at reading them on the nook all fail.Many times the nook freezes on "opening your document". Turning the nook off and on again makes no difference, as it insists on starting exactly where it left off when it froze, and freezes again. It often freezes on attempted page turns, with a message something like "Sorry! Activity Launcher (in Application Launcher) is not responding." I believe there's a very similar error message about the "activity reader". Attempts to resize text usually freeze the system with the message "resizing your text" or some such written across the screen.So does this thing actually read pdf files or not? Or does it only read pdf files that you buy from B&N? Perhaps I was wrong in simply copying the file over like that. Is there some better way to move custom pdf files to the nook?thankst

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
The short answer is... WTF?Do you have the newest fw on the nook?It does read pdf files, but how big is the pdf? The nook has some caching issues with large files. I haven't looked, but is there a way to convert the pdf to epub - smaller file?BN's customer support is very good. I would call them and tell them your problem.Failing that, try this: Reset:unplug the nookHold the power button until the nook is completely off.Pull the battery.Hold the power button again for 10 seconds. releasehold the power button for 10 seconds again (probably unnecessary, but I am superstitious)Failing that:-----reformat (THIS SHOULD DELETE ALL SETTINGS - I'm doing this from memory, only did it once at the direction of customer support because my nook would not connect to any sort of wifi):plug nook inhold power button until nook is offtake battery outSEVEN (7) times:--hold power button for 12 seconds--if nook starts, hold power button again for 12 seconds as soon as the screen goes dark on restart--if nook doesn't start, hit the power button to start it, and hold power button again for 12 seconds as soon as the screen goes dark on restartyou should have done that 7 timesput battery back inrestartI still recommend you call customer service.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm trying a few ideas, but it looks like your first comments might have pegged the problem. The pdf files I was working with were around 2.5M each. I loaded one that was about 800K and it worked as advertised. So the problem may be that the files were too big in relation to the cache. Can the nook work with parts of a pdf file independently of the other parts, or is it an all or nothing situation? If so, is it possible to increase the size of the cache?thanks,-t

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
I think the pdf is a pdf, and the nook can't open just a part of a pdf (I don't know of any pdf reader that can do that). There is a possibility to use Calibre or another apk to convert to epub, or to, perhaps, print and scan parts of the pdf (or there may be a program that can split a pdf). It may also be possible to convert the pdf to a smaller pdf - either by reducing resolution or splitting, or removing color. I am also not aware of any way to increase the cache. Keep us posted on what you find though.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It seems that the problem is definitely due to large file sizes. I know 800k is OK, and 2.5M is too big. I haven't figured out where the dividing line is yet. This is going to be a bit of a problem because a lot of what I want to read is math/science texts several hundred pages long.I can convert each one into a collection of smaller EPUB files with Calibre, but EPUB has such poor math symbol support that it makes some of the books useless.I converted one into PDB but couldn't even read it. Despite it being in the public domain, Calibre added in some sort of DRM lock that had the nook asking me to type in the name and credit card number I had bought it with before it would open it.Can I break a large PDF up into smaller PDFs in such a way that it shows them all as one book under one title and moves between PDF files automatically as I read (like EPUBS do)? Otherwise my library of 100+ math/science texts, some almost 100M in size, is going to become a library of 10,000 individual chapters, that I'll have to move between manually. And given that the nook doesn't appear to let you divide your library up into sub-folders...thanks,t

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
let's both google it and report back here...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I read many (certainly dozens of) pdf files relatively successfully on my nook. Most of these files are WAY bigger than 2.5Mb, in fact, very few are that small. It is possible that the particular pdf is malformed, but I haven't had the problem you describe.The nook is far from perfect for this use, but its reflow capability is pretty good. Very few pdf files have few enough lines per page to be readable easily as full pages using the "small" font size.I love Calibre, but it is pretty useless with pdf files as input, at least in my experience. It works great to convert html and chm files to epub, however.It is easy to split pdf files into segments by numbers of pages, but they would show up as separate files on your nook. I use pdfsam, which is open source, but there are many others.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I have yet to find a converter that does even a halfway decent job with anything more than simple one column PDF conversion to some other format. They ALWAYS end up losing formatting and other things...I'm surprised that the nook can't handle large PDF files... I was able to open the TCC89XX Datasheet (c. 1400p/14MB) w/the plain adobe PDF viewer and it seemed to work pretty well...OTOH my PRS-505 sucks at non-simple PDFs, and I almost forgot wrt PDFs the ones that are just a collection of page scan images(?!), which are the most annoying ever!

·
Premium Member
1,339 Posts
i downloaded a thing called "CutePDF" it installs as a printer, when i need to split a large pdf file into half, go to print, change default printer to cutepdf, then set number of pages to print (i tend to break it down to groups of 50) click print and then when the prompt comes up save it.I also use it to convert just about everything to pdf

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
That is brilliant!!!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Weird issue, I am able to read few PDFs that are 40Mb in size, yet sometimes screen will stop responding to buttons. Strangely enough issue is resolved by going back to library then opening another book, going through few pages and then going back to the one that was locking up.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I work with Adobe Acrobat Professional on a daily basis and I can tell you there are dozens of settings when creating a PDF. Most people (and schools) have no clue what settings to use when creating a PDF so a lot of files end up having strange issues. Acrobat Professional will let you split larger PDFs into multiple files but the cutePDF printer idea seems like a great idea with no outlay of cash. If the permissions for printing are allowed I would suggest you try this method. My hacked NC is loaded with quite a few PDF files and has never had a problem opening any of them.

If you are new to the NC I suggest you take a look at some of the capabilities of the NC once you gain root access. Take a look at Zeam, Button Savior, ES File Explorer and SetCPU.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
146 Posts
another option would be to load Calibre onto your PC (its freeware) and convert it to another(smaller format)

It is a GREAT book organizer and of course you cab read and SYNC with you pc/nook as well.

one item I have had an issue converting PDFS to .mobi but any other format seems to work fine.

J

·
Registered
6 Posts
i downloaded a thing called "CutePDF" it installs as a printer, when i need to split a large pdf file into half, go to print, change default printer to cutepdf, then set number of pages to print (i tend to break it down to groups of 50) click print and then when the prompt comes up save it.I also use it to convert just about everything to pdf
I too have used CutePDF and it is a very useful program and easy to use/convert. One can also use Open Office to convert files to PDF Format and also works nearly flawless. Johnny KD5LWU

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi... just my 2 cent:

I used to use CutePDF for all my PDF-conversion needs for years, but lately I got a little fed up with its rather bad compression capabilities. I did some research and now use "Primo PDF" exclusively. It actually allows you to set the compression level at the 2nd to last step of the conversion (if you want to change your mind every once in a while, and depending on the document purpose). -- It is WAYYYY BETTER!

The PDF Reader that comes with it can be uninstalled without doing any harm to the PDF Creator - which is what I did. Adobe Acrobat Reader is more than sufficient to handle that task.

Best for last, "PrimoPDF" is a free product, too... Google it.

Cheers,
Armin

1 - 15 of 15 Posts