Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! It's been a while, so I wanted to provide you guys with what I'm using right now on these tablets...

** I claim zero credit for the work done here! I'm just repackaging others work, using bits and pieces from various ROM releases that seem to work the best together. **
** All credit is due to the folks over at the http://www.androidiani.com Mediacom 810c forums. **

Alright, now down to the details...

First, before this turns into a headache for anyone, the camera DOES NOT work on this release...
I can't get the folks at Efun to give me their kernel to re-compile, so I have to use the pre-compiled kernels that I can find that work.

** This particular kernel has been the most stable that I can find for this device. It's the only one that doesn't end up giving me the sleep of death issues... **
** The OEM provided kernel, while making the camera work with other releases, WILL NOT work with this ROM, as this ROM is based on a later release of the Rockchip provided SDK. **

This ROM is based primarily on Pistoneone's 5.2 ROM, using the kernel from Samhain's 1.13 release. It is Android 2.3.1, but is themed (quite well, I might add) to look somewhat like Android 4.0.
It is extremely responsive, fully rooted, and includes the Android market. It also works with the current Adobe Flash 11 release.

Be sure to read the "Instructions_Firmware_Update.txt" file provided...

Important! As this is based on an Italian release, it starts in Italian, so...
Open Android settings "Impostazioni" and go to the "Lingua e tastiera" setting, and change the "Seleziona lingua" to your preffered language. Make sure that you change the time zone settings to your local time zone, too.
There may be a few things (widgets) on the homescreen that don't work after initial boot, just remove them and add back whatever you want to the homescreen.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.mediafire.com/?f2qystf2ja3kytm

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
If anyone wants to take a swing at it, ChristianTroy has compiled a custom kernel based on the sources provided by Mediacom.
You can flash it by using the same tool as the one packaged above and selecting only the "Parameter" option, and the "Kernel" selection, and providing the correct kernel.img from ChristianTroy's zip.

You can find it here...

Some observations from testing it myself...

Positive:
You gain overclocking capabilities, and the ability to select CPU governor options. (Use one of the various overclocking tools, like AnTuTu CPU Master...)
The device is very snappy on this kernel.

Negative:
Camera still doesn't work.
Sleep of death seems to occur.

So, good, but not quite good enough for the Next8P...
I'm going to try to see if I can ask ChristianTroy if he would take a look at our original firmware image and see if he can work in our camera driver and fix the sleep of death stuff.

Reactions: TiltMasta

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thank you Devmonkey for your work. Have tried a lot of the older roms and the ones from the Itilian site, but your ports are the only ones that work on my NP8. Thanks again! if you ever need a tester send me a PM.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So... I don't know what it is about the androidiani releases, but my four Next8P always have sleep of death issues unless I use a PMP5080B kernel, and the ICS port was no exception. While I greatly admire the work that they've done over there, I always end up having to tweak stuff a bit... and the PMP5080B kernel locks up when you use it with the ICS release. Still trying to figure that one out...

Currently, I am working on a thorough customization of the latest stock PMP5080B firmware, which, by the way, works flawlessly with the camera on my Next8P. If you want, you can download the stock firmware from the Prestige website and flash it and it will work pretty well as is.

Oh, one other thing. If you go to the Nextbookusa.com website, it looks like they're about to start selling a Next8P-SE device with Android 4.0.3. If someone gets one, please contact me so that I can help you dump the ROM so I can see if it works on the normal Next8P. It looks like the exact same hardware, so far as I can tell...

I will see if I can get that new firmware repackaged by the end of the week.

Thanks for the feedback folks!

Reactions: TiltMasta

·
Registered
2 Posts
Teah I am geting the sleep of death and I really don't like haveing to read that the italians do it beter evry time I have to restart my android but ics is nice

·
Registered
3 Posts
So... I don't know what it is about the androidiani releases, but my four Next8P always have sleep of death issues unless I use a PMP5080B kernel, and the ICS port was no exception. While I greatly admire the work that they've done over there, I always end up having to tweak stuff a bit... and the PMP5080B kernel locks up when you use it with the ICS release. Still trying to figure that one out...

Currently, I am working on a thorough customization of the latest stock PMP5080B firmware, which, by the way, works flawlessly with the camera on my Next8P. If you want, you can download the stock firmware from the Prestige website and flash it and it will work pretty well as is.

Oh, one other thing. If you go to the Nextbookusa.com website, it looks like they're about to start selling a Next8P-SE device with Android 4.0.3. If someone gets one, please contact me so that I can help you dump the ROM so I can see if it works on the normal Next8P. It looks like the exact same hardware, so far as I can tell...

I will see if I can get that new firmware repackaged by the end of the week.

Thanks for the feedback folks!
Awesome news! can't wait to see some ICS on my tablet! Thank yu!
Also.... I accidently hit the negative feed back button instead of the positive my bad! IIdk how to reverse it!

·
Registered
100 Posts
This is the stock PMP5080B firmware that I'm reworking... CLICK HERE

So far, I've added in the ext4 modules, converted / to ext4 and made it fully rewritable.
I'm working on some theme changes, but I'm having a little trouble getting them to stick. I'm hoping to post my end result this afternoon.

This is easily the most responsive config I've played with on the device as of yet, and EVERYTHING works, including the camera.

---------------------

Oh, and I hope I didn't confuse anyone... I don't yet have a good working ICS config. We need someone to get their hands on the Next8P-SE and dump the firmware, or for Prestige to put out an ICS update for the PMP5080B, and then I can likely repackage it for the Next8P.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Alright folks... as promised.

Prestige PMP5080B 1.0.25 ROM - SEMI-TWEAKED

CHANGES TO DEFAULT FIRMWARE:
Converted / to ext4 - fully RW by default
Superuser.apk and su added

VERY IMPORTANT:
Camera and video calls with Skype work by default. Do not let the Market update Skype, or video calls will cease to work!

GENERAL NOTES:
I've been trying to tweak the look and feel of the firmware, but it's kind of stubborn about locking up after adjusting something. For example, if you remove the default bootanimation.zip, it'll boot fine, but when you try to set up a new one, it locks on boot.

Also, there are certain default apps that start when you turn on the tablet that will lock up the tablet at boot if you disable or delete them. (I've not had time to uncover which just yet so leave them all alone for now...)

OTHERWISE...
Everything works really, really well. You can install Flash 11 from the market, you can install LCD Density too (I recommend you set it to 150).
I'm using ADW as a replacement launcher on my tablets, and it's really snappy.

Click here to download...

·
Registered
100 Posts
OK, so I just figured out something that might help some of you if you flash your device a lot... (like I do).

Three times now I've had one of my devices seemingly hard brick to the point where I couldn't Format IDB (it wouldn't count all the way up to 2048 like it's supposed to), and wouldn't completely flash a firmware, so it wouldn't boot. It kept rebooting into "download mode" (or whatever it's called whenever you connect it to flash a ROM). I actually ended up sending one of my Next8P back to Nextbook for a warranty exchange, but if I had known how to do what I'm about to tell you, I wouldn't have had to do that...

DOWNLOAD THIS

This tool includes an alternate flasher tool for RK2918 devices (like the Next8P). It only works if your firmware image is in a single image file, like what you might download from an OEM vendor. I made a few tweaks to the config.ini file specific for our device and provided an OEM vendor firmware in the download. If you get an error like the one I mentioned above, this will let you save your device by doing the following...

1.) Launch RKBatchTool.exe, click on the "..." button beside FW Path: and select the "PMP5080B_V1.0.25_20120309.img" in the folder where you unzipped this tool.
2.) Press the "Restore" button, and wait until it completes. Your device should be restored to an OEM version of the PMP5080B image and should reboot into it.
3.) At this point, you should be able to re-flash the device with any custom ROM you want.

I think the root cause of this error is a broken "parameter" file in the custom ROM you may be trying to flash. I don't know how to fix that... I'm no expert at editing the "parameter" file.

Hope this helps someone else! Saved myself a lot of headache today!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
One last thing from me today...

In the process of figuring out a fix for the formatting issue I just noted, I also tweaked a few minor things about my config...

1.) New battery, wifi, etc... icons, new lockscreen icons, new fonts... looks a bit better.
2.) Modified build.prop and added some performance tweaks... a bit smoother operation.
3.) Added cifs.ko, nls_utf8.ko, and slow-work.ko to /system/lib/cifs - for any of you that want to use something like MountManager to mount SMB/CIFS network shares.

So... enjoy.

DOWNLOAD HERE

·
Registered
48 Posts
One last thing from me today...

In the process of figuring out a fix for the formatting issue I just noted, I also tweaked a few minor things about my config...

1.) New battery, wifi, etc... icons, new lockscreen icons, new fonts... looks a bit better.
2.) Modified build.prop and added some performance tweaks... a bit smoother operation.
3.) Added cifs.ko, nls_utf8.ko, and slow-work.ko to /system/lib/cifs - for any of you that want to use something like MountManager to mount SMB/CIFS network shares.

So... enjoy.

DOWNLOAD HERE
hey devmonkey ive been using your roms since i bought my nextbook8 and i thank you for everything but i just downloaded and installed your newest rom here and im stuck on the load screen "Prestigio MultiPad" with all the icons above. i installed it correctly but maybe i did something wrong, just thought i would give you my feedback. thanks again!
Update:I did a hard reset from the back of the tablet and it loaded up to the page about ereader but still seems to freeze while loading everytime i reset it.
Update:i got it loaded but when it did it said unexpected error for everything and its stuck at black screen with andriod guy and clock in corner.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Your build from today is great. Used Launcher Pro to 'pretty' it up. Run nice and fast. Question: Is there a way to package it up into a single image file so I could run it from the system recovery utility on the device as an update from the SD card?

·
Registered
100 Posts
@Scottyost
Try flashing the OEM rom using the tools from the post above, and then try to flash usimg the modified firmware.

When you flash the modified one...
Make sure that you Format / Erase IDB befote flashing the modified one.
Be sure that you check all of the boxes except update when you run the flash.

Almost forgot... using any tools that modify the OEM parts that auto start will cause exactly what you are describing. Same goes for some system utilities, like SystemTuner. I have no idea why... If that happens, I've recovered by only flashing the parameter and system.img files, and then making sure that the auto start apps are allowed and removing anything like SystemTuner that I installed. In some cases it may be easier to start from a clean flash.

@Presto01
Yes, it is possible, but it is easier to tweak the config by leaving the parts separate like this.

If you wanted to do it, you would probably want to use Wendal's RK2918 tools to unpack an OEM firmware, replace the files in the OEM dump with the modified ones, and then repackage it again with Wendal's tools. You can find the tools in the RK2918 -> Teclast section of these forums.

·
Registered
48 Posts
@Scottyost
Try flashing the OEM rom using the tools from the post above, and then try to flash usimg the modified firmware.

When you flash the modified one...
Make sure that you Format / Erase IDB befote flashing the modified one.
Be sure that you check all of the boxes except update when you run the flash.

Almost forgot... using any tools that modify the OEM parts that auto start will cause exactly what you are describing. Same goes for some system utilities, like SystemTuner. I have no idea why... If that happens, I've recovered by only flashing the parameter and system.img files, and then making sure that the auto start apps are allowed and removing anything like SystemTuner that I installed. In some cases it may be easier to start from a clean flash.
I follow the instructions every time i flash. i click all the boxes except for backup then i click Erase IDB then i click RUN, then i just let it boot and it freezes up on boot-up. i tried to flash the stock PMP5080B_V1.0.25_20120309 and it froze also so i flashed yours again and it froze what should i do to get it working? thanks again.
Update: i tried a few things and still could not get it to load so i tried x-teams rom http://x--t-e-a-m.blogspot.com/ and i now theres an animation on the load screen that goes very slow and after awhile it freezes so i reset it to turn it off. i thought maybe it might be the device so i tried flashing your rom (the one based on SamDroid v1.13) and it worked fine again. i would like to try the new rom if i can. thanks for the help

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
@Scottyost
I've just packaged one more. I got a little annoyed with several other issues I was having with this package, and decided to try something a little different.
Feel free to give it a try and let me know if it works for you. If it doesn't, I'll upload the Next8P OEM firmware so you can flash back to it...

Anyways, this package is based on Fintematic's release (over @ Androidiani.com).
I've replaced the kernel with one that works nicely with our device, tweaked the boot image, applied a new bootanimation, applied a new default wallpaper, fixed up some font issues, and removed a few apps to clean it up.

Skype from the market will work just fine. The camera works just fine...

I'd LOVE to get rid of the Honeycomb launcher and status bar and replace it with stock Gingerbread ones, but I've yet figured out how to get it to work right.

Anyways, anyone who wants to give this one a try, DOWNLOAD HERE!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just in case... here's the OEM Next8P firmware:
DOWNLOAD HERE

·
Registered
48 Posts
@Scottyost
I've just packaged one more. I got a little annoyed with several other issues I was having with this package, and decided to try something a little different.
Feel free to give it a try and let me know if it works for you. If it doesn't, I'll upload the Next8P OEM firmware so you can flash back to it...

Anyways, this package is based on Fintematic's release (over @ Androidiani.com).
I've replaced the kernel with one that works nicely with our device, tweaked the boot image, applied a new bootanimation, applied a new default wallpaper, fixed up some font issues, and removed a few apps to clean it up.

Skype from the market will work just fine. The camera works just fine...

I'd LOVE to get rid of the Honeycomb launcher and status bar and replace it with stock Gingerbread ones, but I've yet figured out how to get it to work right.

Anyways, anyone who wants to give this one a try, DOWNLOAD HERE!
is this still based on the ICS ROM? and have you tried the x-teams rom? http://x--t-e-a-m.blogspot.com/
UPDATE: i tried the rom you sent me and it stuck on the anime picture of the rifle aimed at me. lol i tried resetting it a few times to see if i could get past that page but i couldn't
UPDATE: i flashed the OEM NEXT8P and the tablet works fine. it has to be the ICS roms ive tried 4 different ones with the same result. if theres something i can do to get it working please explain. thanks

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
When you are checking all the boxes on the flash tool, verify that the flash tool is pointing to all of the correct files.
Sometimes the settings don't carry over, and you have to select the files again. This is probably why you are stuck at the bootloader.

This is not based on the ICS release because we don't have a good kernel for working with ICS.
It is themed to look a bit like ICS though.

One thing... if the market gives you download errors, it is probably due to old Android data on your external SD card. Best bet is to format it and reboot.

1 - 20 of 99 Posts