Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New fw dated 12/02 released. My PDP is running so well I don't know if it's worth installing. Sure wish they'd provide a change log :-(

Sent from my PD Planet

·
Registered
58 Posts
I updated, and it worked fine, until I tried to install the gapps apps and the nova root. I can't see anything different, I would just either not upgrade, or go back to the now unavailible 10112011 FW.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Interesting... Since root and gapps are part of the system load it makes sense that they'd be 'removed' when applying new fw, but the inability to re-root and reinstall gapps is something new. Wonder if it's just that changes need to be made to our root procedure and the gapps package to make them compatible with the new code. Guess I'll leave this one alone until/unless one of the devs comes up with a solution.

·
Registered
58 Posts
It let me install them just fine, the problem was that it seemed to cause the tablet to do a couple things after it rebooted. Just so you know, these only happened only after I added the root/gapps, not before, I tried it out.
1. Slow
2. Touchscreen stopped working after it locked the first time.
3. Root didn't seem to work real well, some apps couldn't detect it.
After I turned it off, (which I'm not sure how that heppened since the touch screen didn't work) and booted it into recovery and applied the 10112011, it worked just fine again. Stupid pandigital, don't they know that the whole point of android is to be open source and allow custom mods. Someone (Spz0) needs to get a class action lawsuit together to help them realize that this is what android's about...

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hey, I made one of those stupid little free sites where you can upload files and people can download them. I'm goint to be putting obsolete PDP FWs on it. The only FWs I'm currently in possession of are 10112011, 12022011, and 06072011. I can't promise uptime or download speeds, but it will let you get the old FW. The link is PDP FW site. If you have any obsolete PDP FW, send me either a link, or send me an e-mail with the FW as an attachment. If you PM me I'll send you my e-mail.

Edit: The files are live.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks FB. Those 3 are the only released fw's that I know of for the PDP. I also added a note to Spz0's mod thread to see if he could take a look at the new fw.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello I am new to the forum and the PDP. I was backing up the firmwares on my wife's and mine that we bought yesterday. I noticed you mention one dated 10112011. I saw one date 11102011 are they different or are the numbers switched.
Thanks for all the info here and I look forward to utilizing this tablet to its fullest.
Regards

·
Registered
58 Posts
Huh, I don't know of that FW,could you possibly e-mail it to me? I'll PM you my FW e-mail.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Where can I get the new firmware for Pandigital ereader to root to an Android, tried on from another site and now can not usb my tablet ??

·
Registered
58 Posts
It depends on which Pandigital e-reader you have. If you have the Pandigital Planet, you can find tons of stuff here. If you have the novel, go to the novel section. If you have the Nova...etc. etc.

·
Registered
58 Posts
It has come to my attention that some people aren't sure how to flash the old FWs to their PDP, so I thought I'd make a quick tutorial.
1. Download the FW you want for your PDP here onto your sd card.
2. Power down your device and put the sd card in.
3. Hold the power button and the volume + button until the Pandigital screen comes up. Let go of the power button, but hold on to the volume + button for 2-3 more seconds.
Note: Sometimes it will automatically apply the update so steps 4-6 may not be necessary
4. Hit the volume up key until the "Apply update" option is highlighted and press the volume - key.
5. Do the same for the update you want to apply.
6. Wait for it to finish, and when it's done, press the volume - key.
Note: The following steps are optional and require the deletion of system files.
7. As soon as the popup telling you to update your FW pops up, hit "Cancel."
8. If you don't have Titanium Backup, download it from the Market, or if you don't have the Market, from here.
9. Delete the "FW Update" app in Titanium Backup.
You're done! You have now successfully (hopefully) flashed an update (or downdate really)!

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Not sure why folks encountered problems updating to the latest fw, but I finally decided to give it a go, applied it, rooted and applied gapps, no problems at all. Don't see any benefits so far. Was stable before update and stable after update. Sure wish PD would publish a change log. sigh................

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all,

I am just purchased two Planets from QVC, and I am trying to update them via the FW icon on the screen. After the update is downloaded I restart the devices. I am still getting on the start up screen that the version on the tablets are still the 10112011 versions. I have tried downloading the update onto a SD card (8 GB Micro SD HC) but when I am on the reset screen I get an error which says "E: failded to mount/ sdcard (No such file or directory) when I know the cards are inserted properly. I have no problem inserting them into my laptop. When I tried to download the 12022011 update by USB, I reset the devices and receive another error after it says, Finding update package..., Opening update package..., Verifying update package..., E:signature verification failed". Could somebody tell me what I can do to resolve this?

·
Registered
58 Posts
The 10112011 is the same as 12022011. Go ahead and stay with the 10112011 so that if you ever decide to hack you can.

·
Registered
2 Posts
One functional difference I saw with the firmware update is that "Words with Friends" was available to download straight from the GetJar store. I assume if this changed then other apps might be available. I rooted mine, my sister updated hers and so did my brother. They both had access to download words. I used mine stock and with the rooted update and neither would allow me to add Words with Friends. Again, I have a phone for playing that app so it's not a big deal, but I assume that other apps are similar.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Please excuse my total lack of knowledge, but what version of the OS is involved here. I have an older version of the planet which is running 2.2.1 of the OS and 06142011 of the FW.
Would it be advisable to upgrade to the newer version of the FW, I do want to root this devise. Thanks for any help/advise.

·
Registered
58 Posts
If you have the PDP running the 2.2.1 FW, you can't update to 2.3.4. Pandigital actually released 2 separate versions of the Planet, but didn't even announce that there even was a difference. Sorry.

·
Registered
5 Posts
It has come to my attention that some people aren't sure how to flash the old FWs to their PDP, so I thought I'd make a quick tutorial.
1. Download the FW you want for your PDP here onto your sd card.
2. Power down your device and put the sd card in.
3. Hold the power button and the volume + button until the Pandigital screen comes up. Let go of the power button, but hold on to the volume + button for 2-3 more seconds.
Note: Sometimes it will automatically apply the update so steps 4-6 may not be necessary
4. Hit the volume up key until the "Apply update" option is highlighted and press the volume - key.
5. Do the same for the update you want to apply.
6. Wait for it to finish, and when it's done, press the volume - key.
Note: The following steps are optional and require the deletion of system files.
7. As soon as the popup telling you to update your FW pops up, hit "Cancel."
8. If you don't have Titanium Backup, download it from the Market, or if you don't have the Market, from here.
9. Delete the "FW Update" app in Titanium Backup.
You're done! You have now successfully (hopefully) flashed an update (or downdate really)!
hey thanks for the tips i tried it and it worked great

·
Registered
9 Posts
My PDP updated to a new build version PR72_ ... 12192011 on Jan 21st 2012 as you can see the FW was written 12192011 but did not download on my PDP until mid Jan 2012... it was on everyday. How many have experienced this, if so what changes were made? I cannot see a difference in operation or features. Previous was 2.3.4, Kernel 2.6.34, Host#33, Build Number PR72_A_BN_W_A_C_ 12022011.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts